The Walking Dead Ep's 1-5

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

elohim

The Walking Dead Ep's 1-5

Post by elohim »

Based on the comics/TV series, of course..

Episode 1: A New Day

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qEy783RCg2c?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qEy783RCg2c?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I'm only on my first play through and while this is basically just your average point-and-click game, I'm loving this shit. I'm a fan of both the aforementioned comics and show, but you really don't need to be a fan of either to enjoy it; just a fan of scary fucking zombies. I love the interactiveness of the dialogue in the sense that you usually have atleast 3 or 4 different dialogue choices to make for your character. Not to mention the amount of choices you have to make to either sacrifice someone or save someone else. Apparently with every new episode, you carry over your previous persona you've built and it will lead to completely different gaming experiences (i.e.; who you encounter on your journeys and how the current characters in your storyline interact with you). And shit, for $5 bucks an episode, I really think this is a steal.

ric

Post by ric »

please explain the gameplay a little more.
and how long does it take to get through an episode?
thanks

elohim

Post by elohim »

ric wrote:please explain the gameplay a little more.
Shit sorry, I finally finished my first run-through earlier today; but I was away from the computer after that. Here's the IGN review that will probably explain it a lot better than I could (they gave it a 8.5 out of 10), but lemme know if you want me to elaborate more:

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7t5kne1WL_I?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7t5kne1WL_I?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
ric wrote:and how long does it take to get through an episode?
thanks
I'd say it took me roughly 2 1/2-3 hours to complete. It was pretty wild at the end because it previews the next episode based solely on how you completed the episode. And from what I can tell, there's probably two dozen (if not more) ways it could be different. I find myself wanting to replay Ep 1, just to see how things turn out differently. It reminds me a lot of 'Heavy Rain' in that aspect.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

This looks awesome. When does it come out? it says April 2012 on what I'm looking at, but...

NM, instant copped.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

It was $5 on PSN. Lasted a couple of hours but I think I'll play through it again. Well done. I'll think I'll be copping all of these.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

have legit hatred for the tv show & have never read the comics, but for $5 this seems like a good way to spend the eve. copping
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

man lee is one uncoordinated doofus
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

elohim wrote:It was pretty wild at the end because it previews the next episode based solely on how you completed the episode
yeah, this was rad. of the big decisions I
saved shawn (fuckakid), gave the girl the gun to off herself, saved carley(fuckaguy)
and it was cool to see all of that reflected in the preview for pt 2. will probably end up playing this through again just to see how much any of your decisions actually effected the playthrough
moved by duck muscles

elohim

Post by elohim »

LilLeftBrain wrote:man lee is one uncoordinated doofus
Hahah, I thought the same thing! Like "OH NOEZ, typical zombie movies trippin over blood and dead bodies!!!1" Goof troop shit.
LilLeftBrain wrote:yeah, this was rad. of the big decisions I
saved shawn (fuckakid), gave the girl the gun to off herself, saved carley(fuckaguy)
and it was cool to see all of that reflected in the preview for pt 2. will probably end up playing this through again just to see how much any of your decisions actually effected the playthrough
Word man. I might start on it again tmmo.

FWIW, this is what I did the first time through:
Lied to Hershel, saved neither Shawn or Duck, didn't save Clementine the first time but did the second time, gave the girl the gun and saved Doug (this was actually just an impulsive move because I zoned out and was running out of time)
Shit, I just hope Episode 2 is coming out next month as promised. There hasn't been this many games that are as interactive and engaging in a long while.

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

I played through this today, pretty great. I love the episodic format, and feel much more comfortable paying 5 bucks for an an intense and engaging 3 hour mini experience than 10-15 on something I might get bored of/frustrated with.

I hope this catches on and other companies besides telltale hop on board, and do it for different genres

I was pretty stoked to see Glenn (major character in the comics)

And yes, this seems like another example of how heavy hitting choice based gameplay can be when done right, right along heavy rain and the gawd alpha protocol (have yet to play the witcher)
the boy is the father to the man

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

elohim wrote:
LilLeftBrain wrote:man lee is one uncoordinated doofus
Hahah, I thought the same thing! Like "OH NOEZ, typical zombie movies trippin over blood and dead bodies!!!1" Goof troop shit.
LilLeftBrain wrote:yeah, this was rad. of the big decisions I
Word man. I might start on it again tmmo.

FWIW, this is what I did the first time through:
Lied to Hershel, saved neither Shawn or Duck, didn't save Clementine the first time but did the second time, gave the girl the gun and saved Doug (this was actually just an impulsive move because I zoned out and was running out of time)
Shit, I just hope Episode 2 is coming out next month as promised. There hasn't been this many games that are as interactive and engaging in a long while.
Yea, hope episode 2 comes out soon. I played 1st episode twice doing oppisite choices both times.
saved the kid, gave the girl the gun to off herself, saved the guy in first go around. Did opposite in 2nd.. What happens when you don't save Clementine? Didn't know that was an option to not.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

wasn't feeling ep 2 quite as much, though it was satisfying to finally off that old coot and to be a dick to his daughter at every opportunity
moved by duck muscles

elohim

Post by elohim »

I haven't been able to download it since my usb port on my tablet/ethernet port on my cpu are both broken. Probably get one fixed tomorrow. I'm pretty Icecysed to play it. I do wish there was more than3 save slots, I was bored and had to replace a few now

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

I actually liked this one more than the first, much more interesting scenarios along with tougher choices and a notch up on the violence and desperation..my game glitched out at the end though and it seems many are facing the same issue, i tried to find a workaround but nothing worked. waiting for the patch. it's crazy how so many games still fall prey to frippling glitches these days.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

what's the glitch? i thought something was funky with mine for a minute in the momma st john hostage part cause no matter how slowly i approached her and mashed where the dialouge button should be i got shot. this happened roughly twelve times, then finally one time it didn't and the top half of mark flailed onto her.
was kinda impatient playing this one, might like it more if i decide to play it again. lots of stalling story-wise from the second the bros showed up on the scene. also not really sure if i got the ending, that lady that you or the one bro shot was clems mom? or just some crazy lady. wasn't really very clear
moved by duck muscles

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

^ that's the one. apparently there is like a 10 % chance of the game working right and letting you choose an option. the other 9/10 she shoots you, no matter what. I didn't feel like fucking around with it, but I might try that mashing method. I agree about the Clem's mom thing, but it's possible they will revisit that I guess? it was sloppy.

Some people seem to think Lily is a sacred cow because she is in the comics,but I don't buy it. She will die by ep. 4 (that I'm so eager to predict deaths means they did something right)

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

the clems mom stuff will come back up again for you if you haven't finished ep2 yet. doesn't make it any more understandable, but there's more of it atleast.
never read the comics but would off lilly the second i ever got a chance in the game
moved by duck muscles

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

LilLeftBrain wrote:wasn't feeling ep 2 quite as much, though it was satisfying to finally off that old coot and to be a dick to his daughter at every opportunity
:cheers: on both accounts

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

sheeit, eps 1 & 2 are now free if you have playstation plus
moved by duck muscles

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

perfectprism wrote:I hope this catches on and other companies besides telltale hop on board, and do it for different genres
Telltale have done a Back To The Future and a Jurassic Park game that both look really cool too, they even did a Law & Order game. The Walking Dead seems like it'll be their best so far though.

It seems to me they're pretty ambitious about capturing the feel of the originals and also coming up with interesting stories. I don't mind pointing and clicking as long as it's entertaining.

LilLeftBrain

Re: The Walking Dead Ep's 1-5

Post by LilLeftBrain »

didn't even realize ep3 had been out for awhile til i randomly thought to check today, probably shoulda waited for it to show up on + since it's been out like a month, but went ahead and played it through. more killin' than in the past ones which was good but,
CARLIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
that shit truly took me by surpise. left the other chick by the side of the road to die after that. felt good,
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

4 was the best yet imo
would be curious to see what everyone else did and who they're left with, if anyone, after that one
moved by duck muscles

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

4 was incredible.
I let Ben go, and didn't tell the others about the bite. Damn that whole ending hit me in the gut... Things look DOOMED for episode 5.

Going back to 3, was there any way to save Carlie?

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

ha, did the opposite on all counts
just me and ken dog now

not sure about the carlie thing, doesn't seem like there would be any way to keep her alive, but haven't looked into it or anything
moved by duck muscles

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

Yeah, I'm holding off on going back until the story is done... Can't wait for ep 5 to see how this ends :ohsh:

Btw, Telltale has confirmed a season 2 coming after this one. I guess a new story with new characters.
Haha, I was going to save Ken but he kept saying "Let me go..." like a martyr, and it seemed practical to lose him. Did not enjoy Clem's reaction tho :owens:

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Completely forgot about this. Happy it looks like it got better.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

eh, 5th one kinda sucked dick. lots of strange sequences where all you had to do is press forward and you had to do it for like forty seconds. didn't understand waht that was all about. but played through pretty much the whole chapter with only one arm which was ballin'
chopped off that arm, kept my cleaver, clem killed the captor & told clem to save the bullet
didn't understand that epilogue at all but quit paying attention during the heart to heart just prior so may have missed something obvious that was going on, will read up on it
will still be down whenever the next batch of these come around
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

also, had apparently forgot, but started this one w/ ken dog, omid & his chick. ken dog died :( and clem was supposed to meet the other two by the train, which i thought was who she was seeing during that epilogue so not sure why she was buggin
moved by duck muscles

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Kinda wack. Seemed like whatever you chose to whole way it would of ended the same.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

eh, to a degree
clem solo. wouldn't her location change depending upon where you told her to go at least?
but all in all i was satisfied enough with the variations of the story
and as for the epilogue
apparently it's just two strangers, in my version, not omid & chick who i told her to meet up w. ppls are supposing the next series will start up there w/ you as clem, at least for awhile
moved by duck muscles