iPhone 5

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Random Sample

Re: iPhone 5

Post by Random Sample »

The longer screen gives it a 16:9 ratio. That is why they did it.

Underwhelmed by the new version, but I have a cracked htc phone that crashes constantly, so any iphone would be better right now.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Random Sample wrote:The longer screen gives it a 16:9 ratio. That is why they did it.

Underwhelmed by the new version, but I have a cracked htc phone that crashes constantly, so any iphone would be better right now.
get the S3, the note 2, or wait for the new nexus...

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:why does apple make different sized ipods, which is a dying product, yet they make only one size iphone every year, which accounts for 70% of their revenue...

Apple should come out with 3 iphones: 4 inch screen, 4.8 inch screen, 5.5 inch screen
Doing that would be a nightmare for people designing and developing apps - I think that might be a consideration. I'm really surprised that they changed the aspect ratio actually - real pain in the ass.

One of the reason lots of companies choose iOS development over Android app development is that it's impossible to cover all bases with Android handsets.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote: or wait for the new nexus...
this.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:
Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:why does apple make different sized ipods, which is a dying product, yet they make only one size iphone every year, which accounts for 70% of their revenue...

Apple should come out with 3 iphones: 4 inch screen, 4.8 inch screen, 5.5 inch screen
Doing that would be a nightmare for people designing and developing apps - I think that might be a consideration. I'm really surprised that they changed the aspect ratio actually - real pain in the ass.

One of the reason lots of companies choose iOS development over Android app development is that it's impossible to cover all bases with Android handsets.
I think the main problem with Android development (aside from piracy) is OS fragmentation rather than screen size. Google are too open in that respect IMO, allowing carriers to customise the OS (i.e. fuck it up) and hold back updates that people with unbranded/unlocked phones can get.

I think the iPhone size is more about their design philosophy. I'm sure Steve Jobs said something about 3.5" being the perfect size. The wider you go, the harder the phone is to use with 1 hand (although bigger phones are fine for me personally), so I think that's why they went taller. It's a compromise.

Android's market share worldwide is 68% now, up from 47% last year, so I think they made a mistake here and didn't go far enough. The phone will sell great of course, but I'm seeing lots of comments online where people who were waiting for this announcement have now said they're gonna get an S3, Nexus or One X instead.

Even though I prefer Android and own an S3, I'm kinda pissed off that they didn't include NFC in the iPhone 5, because that's basically stalling the adoption of the technology by businesses.

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

Have a 4 that I'm okay with, but thinking about bumping up to 5 and turning the 4 over to family. Will hold out to see what the early reviews say - don't feel like taking too large a dump in battery life.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

:rofl:

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Truth. wrote:
let's be real the 4s is more than enough phone to last you atleast 2 years or more but we all want the latest and greatest
i'm a consumer-whore but the 4s is more than adequate...

i guess i'm also weary of the iphone 5 b/c it is the first real launch of a product steve jobs had nothing or minimal shit to do with, and after reading that fucker's biography i know how influential he was on every product prior to this one...right down to making last second changes flushing millions of dollars away and redoing iphones and ipods after thousands were already made
Nets 2022

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

I got the S3 the other day and I'm stoked on it now that I'm getting it set up properly and learning all the tips and tricks. S Voice isn't as good as Siri but it does all the same shit. Overall the phone is better than iphone 5 IMHO. Coworker got the 5 and its definitely not impressive - they should have have one "wow" feature, cause its not that much of a step up from 4S.

MIKEY

Post by MIKEY »

Hacksaw Jim Thuggin wrote:I got the S3 the other day and I'm stoked on it now that I'm getting it set up properly and learning all the tips and tricks. S Voice isn't as good as Siri but it does all the same shit. Overall the phone is better than iphone 5 IMHO. Coworker got the 5 and its definitely not impressive - they should have have one "wow" feature, cause its not that much of a step up from 4S.
I am currently choosing between the S3 and the 4S. Will definitely not be getting the 5 after watching 4S vs 5 speed comparisons on youtube. There's barely any difference in speed and certainly does not warrant the extra cost of the new model.

Care to share what S3 features and advantages you enjoy the most? How's the touch screen compared to Apple's? How does syncing/making backups of your contacts work?

ruraloutfitter

Post by ruraloutfitter »

I think it's worth the price difference for the larger/better screen, noticeably lighter weight, thinner form factor, and LTE (which destroys 3G.) Those are all pretty significant and perceivable upgrades. A lot of people seem to be underwhelmed with the unveiling but it's pretty much what I expected. I can't think of any way the physical design can be improved further and besides aiming for thinner and lighter, it doesn't make sense for Apple to ever give it a dramatic overhaul. I agree that a slight increase in width would of been welcome but Apple just wanted to make sure the phone felt as natural in the hand as the past generation iPhones, as well as the added benefit of an 16:9 aspect ratio. I still have my beefs with Apple's restricted ecosystem but that argument is void with jailbreaking. Also, the new Maps app sucks but that can easily be fixed with a shortcut icon to Google Maps via Safari.

I did have a chance to play around with an S3. I'm a fan of the Android OS but honestly, it felt like a cheap plasticky toy in comparison to the i5. Also, the huge screen doesn't warrant the extra bulk imo, though the feel of the S3 is much better than those god awful HTCs, which are essentially awkward mini tablets. The S3 is a great choice and definitely the best droid device out there, if I hated IOS6 I would've gone for one.

The Nokia Lumia 920 is looking to be another great option but fuck Windows Mobile.

I've been using top-of-the-line cellphones since the early 00's (during the age when everybody had shitty candy bars or flip phones) and I have to say although it's not perfect, the iPhone still holds the crown. It's just a very practical and high quality (not to mention sleek looking) device.

MIKEY

Post by MIKEY »

The "new iPad" came out like 6 months ago or so right? Already outdated.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

ruraloutfitter wrote:I've been using top-of-the-line cellphones since the early 00's (during the age when everybody had shitty candy bars or flip phones).
Oh, well done you!

:smugkid:

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

5 just shit the bed on me after six weeks of having it. was surfing the p last night, zoomed in to tap on a subforum or something and the screen filled with black vertical lines. did the manual reboot and the black bars booted up with the screen, which then gave way to a strange fade in of white looking like the end of the fifth season of lost. reset the whole thing via itunes and ain't a damn thing changed. didn't think it would since this seems to be a screen beef, but had to try. apple's charging me 30$ to ship a new one, fuckos. sprint woulda swapped it right out for me but they didn't have any in stock, naturally. i feel like this newfound land i find myself in is the land of confusion
moved by duck muscles

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

waiting to see what the 5S is gonna offer and if it's nothing special gonna switch to the Galaxy S4

money

Post by money »

Truth. wrote:waiting to see what the 5S is gonna offer and if it's nothing special gonna switch to the Galaxy S4
pretty safe to say you will be switching to the S4 then...

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

three full days w/o a phone now, shit's strange. listened to more music, sent more e-mails, even posted a few times on facebook. it didn't dawn on me 'til later saturday that i likely coulda got a loaner from sprint, but oh well was down for the grand three day experiment by then. also figured when apple overnights something on saturday morning and charged me dough for it it would arrive on monday, but nope sometime after 5 tomorrow
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

didn't dawn mattingly on me 'til that post that i coulda switched my number to my old LG rumour or whatever that's sitting in a drawer, oh well
moved by duck muscles

Harry Hater

Post by Harry Hater »

I got the s4 when it came out a couple weeks ago. really really happy with it.

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

a 5.5in iphone would make me jump ship from.