destiny; bungies persistent world, 10 years to finish game

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

ric

destiny; bungies persistent world, 10 years to finish game

Post by ric »

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/02/bungie-destiny/

go to the website, watch the video. enough said.

10 years worth of content. life sucker. im really glad i dont play these games. and yet sort of not. shit is like a dream or something. 10 years worth of persistent and interesting content gtfo....and yet shit is like the future of games or something

Spartan

Re: destiny; bungies persistent world, 10 years to finish ga

Post by Spartan »

I dunno, man. I've learnt that these developer interviews with sound bites like "we're just crazy enough to pull this off" and all that stuff, mostly turn out to be completely full of shit.

ric

Post by ric »

yeah i dont know if i believe that it will be worth playing for some HUGE amount of time constantly logging in etc etc

Dragondude R

Post by Dragondude R »

Spartan wrote:I dunno, man. I've learnt that these developer interviews with sound bites like "we're just crazy enough to pull this off" and all that stuff, mostly turn out to be completely full of shit.
agree, I'm a huge Bungie fan but I don't need interviews, show me gameplay you ho ass developers

wheels

Post by wheels »

If they launch this and stick to the "ten years of content" tagline, some asshole diehard is going to rip through all their shit over a long weekend and make them look dumb as hell*. I think they'd be better off trying to play off the sandbox angle and qualify the absurd amount of content by saying it's "user generated." That's something I'd be interested in. But ten years of MMO style quests or currency grinds? Fuck that.

I'm intrigued though.

*They'll look dumb to the ridiculous 0.01% of gamers who actively follow and care about claims like 'ten years of content'. nobody with a job, for instance, will give a fuck. even if they play.

None

Post by None »

Anyone else checking out the Alpha weekend on PS4 for this?

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

None wrote:Anyone else checking out the Alpha weekend on PS4 for this?
I tried it out for about 15 minutes. Never really a fan of this type of game, but it seemed pretty good for what it is.

None

Post by None »

naturalborn103 wrote:
None wrote:Anyone else checking out the Alpha weekend on PS4 for this?
I tried it out for about 15 minutes. Never really a fan of this type of game, but it seemed pretty good for what it is.
I am the opposite. I am not really a fan of traditional first-person shooters, but this is right up my alley. I maxed out a Warlock (level 8 is the Alpha cap) and I'll wait until the Beta to check it out some more.

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

Got a code for the Destiny Alpha from Amazon, and spent most of the next 2 days playing it. The raid was very fun and incredibly challenging. It took about 2 hours start to finish, and we only managed to complete it after one of our guys dropped. The random that replaced him basically kept feeding to the Fallen Captain near the spawn point, which let me and my buddy take up cover on opposite sides of the Sepiks Prime and take potshots.

The multiplayer was dope, though I think I ran into too many simultaneous kills using melee. I had to have at least 10-15 double KOs. I'm not much of an FPS guy usually, but even with the learning curve I had a good time.

None

Post by None »

Destiny Beta starts for PS4/PS3 today and the 23rd for Xbone/360.

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

Officially hooked. I've only played as a Titan so far, but I see no reason to change that. I play with reckless abandon, run directly at my enemies, I'm best at close-quarters, and I've racked up many many shotgun-melee combo kills.

I think I turned a corner when I decided I'd pick a capture point and guard it. It's led to a ton of kill streaks and much better K/D results. I think my finest moments have been a gliding melee kill and an Interceptor kill with the Fist of Havoc.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

the beta is open for everyone now that has xbox gold, 360 and xbox one

so far its really dope but ive only dabbed into it a little bit

when they say its going to be a 10 year game, it means its going to be constantly getting updates and DLC, the game is going to grow and be alive like an MMO, but this game is much easier to get into than most MMO's, this is my first MMO

so far it feels like the combination of Halo/Borderlands/fallout/mass effect

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I tried it last night. I didn't really know what was going on. I went through the first solo bit, then did the things you need to do down on the planet, then I started a mission and there were a couple of others players involved, but they were just running about. I went down into a dark underground section, fought my way through some enemies, then I got to a boss who stomped me to death in one hit.

I'll try it again later. If you're playing with the right crowd of friends/players, then I imagine it's really good. I definitely got a Borderlands vibe from it, which is no bad thing.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

I need to try this out. Not really feeling the game but willing to try to see if I like it.

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

Sigma wrote: I went down into a dark underground section, fought my way through some enemies, then I got to a boss who stomped me to death in one hit.
That's the game's way of saying you're not supposed to access part of the map yet. Find a good group to play with, and follow your beacon as directly as possible.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

now that i have played a lot, and messed around in freeroam, it feels like an open world infinte spawning firefight game, with random objectives thrown in

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

To anyone that got this how is it?

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

i just want to know if its much bigger and more open than the beta, if not, i think im actually going to hold out on this one

None

Post by None »

ThaJim2 wrote:To anyone that got this how is it?
It is really fucking good. I've poured a good amount of hours into (for review) over the last two days. The open Beta is only a small slice of the game. It can be mainlined quickly to open up the Moon, which has 5 story missions, exploration and a Strike mission. It is definitely worth picking up, especially if you're not grabbing anything this September. It'll occupy you until the AAA holiday stuff comes out.

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

So fuckin' good. I'm still rolling with my Titan, sitting at Level 12 right now. Getting a couple buddies together to do a strike or a series of missions or whatever? Awesome. The Crucible? Still dope. Can't wait until the gear grind begins with all different perks that entails.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

i gave in haha

This shit is dope

i dont even care about the grind i just like to freeroam around while doing missions and getting into random battles

SuperFeen

Post by SuperFeen »

fuuu I loved the demo but I think I'm waiting for a pc port, can't justify getting a new console just for this

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Game is pretty great. I've always had playstations so I've never really played Halo other than on other peoples systems. I've kinda stopped playing 1st person shooters unless it's something that I really want, so I'm glad that this is living up to expectations so far. The gameplay itself is great, but the interplanetary stomping seems like it'll make for a nice story too. If anyone wants to try to tackle some missions together on PSN, get at me at Tha_Jerk as I don't have anyone to play with at this point in time.

Watch Dogs started off ill but got lame fast, this one feels like it has staying power.

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

There are definitely critiques that hold up (weak storytelling, lack of social features in a "shared-world shooter", frequent repetition of tasks [so far]), but this is an amazing game when played with friends. Getting folks together to smash heads in The Crucible is an awesome experience, and having someone to help you push through some of the frustrating strikes/story missions is way better than struggling through it alone.

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

The loot system in this game needs some goddamn fucking help. If I have to resort to PvP play to see any chance of progression beyond 20 (and trust me, it's a very small chance), then I'm inclined to think folks are fucking up.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

theres about to be a lot updates about that and other things but honestly its just the same shit over and over anyways so it doesnt matter really, unless they plan on giving us actual new content they havent spoke of (besides the 2 DLC expansion packs)

im happy with it just playin around sandbox style, the so called MMO aspect is just a side feature reeally , at least for me

oh and they plan on fixing stuff with PvP too, and they really need to cause its broke as fuck with waaaaaaaaaaay too many one shot kills, its not even fun

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

i gotta say though as much as theres multiple things that need fixing and balancing

people need to quit getting into this as if it was a strict MMO as ive said, sandbox the shit out of it explore what you can and just have fun shooting stuff

it really boils down to being an open world halo, with fire fights spawning all over

its a next gen space invaders

ChewbaccaUncircumcised

Post by ChewbaccaUncircumcised »

I'm enjoying the hell out of this game.

Get at me if you have a PS4, my PSN ID is active_toes

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

Neuro wrote:i gotta say though as much as theres multiple things that need fixing and balancing

people need to quit getting into this as if it was a strict MMO as ive said, sandbox the shit out of it explore what you can and just have fun shooting stuff

it really boils down to being an open world halo, with fire fights spawning all over

its a next gen space invaders

Don't get me wrong - I'm still playing this game, and short/terrible story mode aside, I really dug it until I hit the level cap. Then the progression method switches up to something more specific and the game isn't all that great at explaining what your options are.

What I'd love to see are additional ways to progress via PvE, whether that be more story missions/strikes/patrols or something completely new. I recognize that the game is incomplete as is, and I understood that going in. I just hope they find a way to tweak post level 20 progression that makes it fun for folks like me who aren't PvP fans. That, to me, is a grind.