Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Tommy Bunz

Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Post by Tommy Bunz »

The opening prologue sequence to this is :ohsh:
One of the most cinematic gaming sequences ever and a great intro to the new bosses.
I caved and bought this earlier, felt a little guilty about it since I still haven't finished the new Batman or the ten or so other games I've got on deck but I don't feel bad about it anymore.
This game is way more violent than other games in the series.
Only a couple hours in, thinking about bagging work tomorrow and playing the shit out of this.

Post by 360 »

This game is great but wow could Kojima any more of an egotistical douche bag. His name is everywhere; after every single mission lol wtf. At least you can skip the credits

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

fuuckk won't get to play this until i build my new rig which will probably be end of this month or next month
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

no one cares

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

im still pretty early into the "story" because ive been just freeroaming and discovering and earning things without goals, here and there i will set off on missions, side missions, but im finding freeroam mode to be the ultimate and what will be the staple of the game even when i do choose to knock out all the missions specifically , organic as fuck, addicting as fuck, rambo as fuck

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

ChaMerZ wrote:fuuckk won't get to play this until i build my new rig which will probably be end of this month or next month
don't feel bad I prolly wont get to play this til Holiday season :lastweek:

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

picked this up. the controls are killer. im hooked.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

the game hits a very very sweet spot for an open world game, how its all broken down into tiny segments, or you can just freeroam the shit, and as you complete objectives it rewards you pretty well

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Yeah I've probably put at least 15-20 hours into this and I'm still only at like 10% completion, which is pretty insane because that's probably more actual gameplay than in all of MGS4.
It's pretty daunting how much the game throws at you right away and expects you to manage, I've basically spent most of my time playing super stealthy and capturing every soldier possible in an attempt to maximize my army staff and expand my base as much as possible right away.
My only complaint is that I wish that they would have taken more of a cue from Far Cry in that the mountains weren't designed with enough avenues to climb over top of them and the enemy soldiers recapture bases that i just cleared out sometimes literally just minutes afterwards. Would be nice to be able to actually clear areas of the maps permanently.
But fuck, this game is fun and I'm really glad they made the stealth more forgiving, you can afford to be more aggressive and take more risks in this than in the other games and that really helps keep the pace up.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

MGO is legit. Im digging the levels.
Bring on the shit talking!

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

Tommy Bunz wrote:I'm really glad they made the stealth more forgiving, you can afford to be more aggressive and take more risks in this than in the other games and that really helps keep the pace up.
i only played for ~30 mins and was very disappointed by this. you can basically roll in with guns blazing. although it sounds like they added a ton of other shit that i didn't even have time to get into.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

I like stealth only games, so don't know how I'll like the "forgiving" stealth mechanics in this one. I'm currently playing splinter cell blacklist from last gen and the ghost missions (where you are supposed to complete the objectives without anybody seeing you) are a hell of a lot more fun than the frantic, COD-style, shoot everything missions.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ric

Post by ric »

game is fucking dope. Super duper glad they have a ps3 version. shit is insane. the thing is is that it's exactly like the psp metal gear but way more expanded and developed in every way. I haven't seen the base shit yet just doing the first rescue mission right now.

the intro is dope. the mechanics are dope. this is my first game with the keifer Sullivan voice. I get it. hayter is too much of a cartoon. they are going for gameplay intensity. makes way more sense for the new feel. I mean really game feels completely different. the lack of cartoonish shit is actually pretty dope. with mgs4 they were trying to go real but just couldn't leave behind the cartoonish shit. even the bosses don't feel nearly as cartoonish with this. they've learned their lessons from their best movies it seems. even the joker /psychomantis can be wild yet serious

it actually feels like infiltration though instead of just video game puzzle solving

ric

Post by ric »

Tommy Bunz wrote: My only complaint is that I wish that they would have taken more of a cue from Far Cry in that the mountains weren't designed with enough avenues to climb over top of them and the enemy soldiers recapture bases that i just cleared out sometimes literally just minutes afterwards. Would be nice to be able to actually clear areas of the maps permanently.
But fuck, this game is fun and I'm really glad they made the stealth more forgiving, you can afford to be more aggressive and take more risks in this than in the other games and that really helps keep the pace up.
re the terrain
well for what it's worth the dude in the game store who I was asking about the game told me that they literally used a google map for the entire country of Afghanistan to make the terrain for the game world. so I'm like.... that's pretty fucking awesome.

yeah the forgiving alert system actually makes a ton of sense and they've fixed one of the more retarded video-game puzzle issues where the entire area of enemies is automatically alerted just because some dude saw you and enough time went by to make his exclamation disappear (or not even if the mood is different). I mean that's perhaps the single most frustrating and ridiculous thing about the franchise history. I haven't played enough to know all the nuances yet but the alert system is much improved and in a way that makes a ton of sense

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

since mgs2 the dudes had to radio in to alert others. you could shoot their radio etc
1. Nas
2. Drake

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

im soaked in blood at the moment and it wont wash off, actually its been longer than a moment too, its kind of annoying

i read up on it and its this hidden status called demon points or something, but i cant seem to go back to normal

this is the only thing i do not like about the game right now

ric

Post by ric »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:since mgs2 the dudes had to radio in to alert others. you could shoot their radio etc
not wholly representative. others in the immediate vicinity would ridiculously be able to track you ridiculously accurately ridiculously quickly depending on their general alert level etc etc and stuff that was supposed to work didn't like for example in mgs2 you kill somebody and the body gets found but nobody has seen you they search three rooms over and zoom over to you because even though you're in a room full of boxes and your box isn't moving they kick your box in because once they get pissed they get psychic.

In mgs3 you're in a forest full of trees one of the dude spots you for a half second too long before you grab him and every other enemy in the forest enters high alert zooms over to the incident discovers the body and begins searching for you

mgs5 however even if somebody raises enough of an alarm the enemy will confine their search to around your last known position while still intermittently searching the periphery or if the team is searching for you they play their position like one searches one trails one has over watch or if the enemy is reduced to two they have alert tactics where they try to survive an unknown force

ric

Post by ric »

but really I just came I to say that game is fucking dope and so far has not been full of all kinds unfulfilled or half measured shit like mgs4 (which I love don't get me wrong)

this game has managed to capture so much about what the "realities" of combat are etc etc

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

Neuro wrote:im soaked in blood at the moment and it wont wash off

theres showers at your base that you can clean all that off you.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

darkwingduck wrote:
Neuro wrote:im soaked in blood at the moment and it wont wash off

theres showers at your base that you can clean all that off you.
haha i don't have the game but this is some pretty funny shit. and i believe it too cuz its MGS. if it was any other game I would of called bs.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

uhh hey can you read? IT WONT WASH OFF

i read it has something to do with something called demon points

the blood will not wash off until i fix whatever that is, which is annoying

ric

Post by ric »

@neuro you gotta run around being nice and non lethal.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

whats the fun in that?

ric

Post by ric »

@neuro
yeah I hear you. I run around Fultoning everything but sometimes war is a terrible thing. the demon thing is one of those ridiculous Kojima things probably

guide to getting rid of that shit
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/718564-m ... n/72466130" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

ric wrote:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:since mgs2 the dudes had to radio in to alert others. you could shoot their radio etc
not wholly representative. others in the immediate vicinity would ridiculously be able to track you ridiculously accurately ridiculously quickly depending on their general alert level etc etc and stuff that was supposed to work didn't like for example in mgs2 you kill somebody and the body gets found but nobody has seen you they search three rooms over and zoom over to you because even though you're in a room full of boxes and your box isn't moving they kick your box in because once they get pissed they get psychic.

In mgs3 you're in a forest full of trees one of the dude spots you for a half second too long before you grab him and every other enemy in the forest enters high alert zooms over to the incident discovers the body and begins searching for you

mgs5 however even if somebody raises enough of an alarm the enemy will confine their search to around your last known position while still intermittently searching the periphery or if the team is searching for you they play their position like one searches one trails one has over watch or if the enemy is reduced to two they have alert tactics where they try to survive an unknown force
in mgs2 they were pro terrorists. in mgs5 they're a bunch of fucking amateurs who don't search thoroughly enough. if you knew there's a dude ninja'ing around your base would you call of the search after 3 minutes ? run & gun is practically a viable strategy in 5.
1. Nas
2. Drake

ric

Post by ric »

dudes disappearing doesn't necessarily mean some body is sneaking around and kidnapping everybody via airplane balloon though. dudes in the military do shit and go places. sometimes they check in sometimes they don't. the situational ai is why mgs5 is sweeter.

terrorists aren't psychic. you do some shit around the corner they hear you so you retreat around another corner then you get in a locker around another corner and they don't even pass you they just know where you are. it's silly.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

they were never psychic, freal go play again. in 5 they're too sloppy, less stealth more action. tons of action games out already.
1. Nas
2. Drake

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:they were never psychic, freal go play again. in 5 they're too sloppy, less stealth more action. tons of action games out already.
hey darth malek, what do you think of the twin snakes - the gamecube remake of the original MGS? Worth playing it or no? I have the gamecube emulator and I want to try it, but the graphics are understandably dated so I don't want to persevere if its gonna end up being sh**

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

i played both, overall twin snakes is better. the graphics are significantly improved from the OG (i played it when it was new so i remember it looking good). on the other hand i like the colour palette better in the OG, seemed more black whereas twin snakes is shifted a towards blue.

the main factor is gameplay though. twin snakes has all the mgs2 moves added, so you can stick up guards, pop out from behind walls & let a shot off, etc. after playing any of the new ones it's hard to go back to the basic move set.

the story is carried by GOAT voice acting, so you'll get the benefit of that from either version. overall this is the best metal gear game imo.
1. Nas
2. Drake

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:i played both, overall twin snakes is better. the graphics are significantly improved from the OG (i played it when it was new so i remember it looking good). on the other hand i like the colour palette better in the OG, seemed more black whereas twin snakes is shifted a towards blue.

the main factor is gameplay though. twin snakes has all the mgs2 moves added, so you can stick up guards, pop out from behind walls & let a shot off, etc. after playing any of the new ones it's hard to go back to the basic move set.

the story is carried by GOAT voice acting, so you'll get the benefit of that from either version. overall this is the best metal gear game imo.
Good lookin out. I started playing it. By the way, Dolphin allows you to play the game at a much higher resolution than the original. I've changed the settings and now it looks more like a HD enhanced editiion. Doesn't look bad at all, so the visuals won't be a problem for me.