XBMC = Amazing media player+FREE Movies+TV Shows+Sports+More

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

bmurf75

XBMC = Amazing media player+FREE Movies+TV Shows+Sports+More

Post by bmurf75 »

For those that don't know, XBMC stands for XBOX Media Center. I've been using XBMC for years on my original XBOX to watch movies and play music that I downloaded on my TV. The XBOX version's biggest limitation is that it cannot play HD content. Over the years, the developers have ported XBMC to many different platforms and actually ended support for the original XBOX. XBMC is available on Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS, Apple TV, Android, Raspberry Pi, and as an Ubuntu Live DVD/USB. I am currently running XBMC using an Android device with HDMI out to my TV.

Download XBMC for the platform of your choice here:
http://xbmc.org

Download Super Repo for hundreds of different Add-on
http://addons.superrepo.org/Frodo/Repos ... -0.2.1.zip (Do Not unzip the file)

Launch XBMC and install the Super Repo. Install it using “System > Addons > Install a ZIP file“, browse to the file location.

To install the add-ons that you want follow the steps below:
Step 1: You’ll now need to click a “Get Add-ons” button.

Step 2: Choose the repository that was just installed from the ZIP file. In this case, we’re using “SuperRepo.org All” as an example. If you chose to install the meta-repository addon you have to select “Superrepo.org Repositories” and first install one or more repositories using the steps below and return to this step. Read: How to choose and use the repositories

IMPORTANT: Due to a bug in XBMC repositories may appear empty. If you experience this problem, please tell Team XBMC. Work-around: Wait 3 minutes and try again. If it still appears empty, select the repository, open the context menu (key ‘c’) and click “Force Refresh”.
Step 3: Select the category you want to explore.

Step 4: Click the name of the plugin you wish to enable.

Step 5: Choose “Install” on the left side to download and enable the addon and it’s dependencies

Step 6: A pop-up will notify you once the addon is installed.
Step 7: If you want to install more addons, repeat the instructions at this page.

My recommended Add ons:
Movies and TV:
1channel (biggest selection)
Icefilms (most reliable sources, has HD content, ability to download content as well as stream)
Free Cable (TV Shows only)

Sports:
SportsDevil - streams live sports (including PPV) from various sources. Quality not always the best.
ESPN Video - highlights and news stories only

Music:
Shoutcast 2 - Thousands of free web radio stations from all over the world
Sky.FM - Free web radio stations
Pandora - it is what it says it is but without the commercials

Adults only:
VideoDevil - videos from about 20 different adult websites but without putting your computer at risk

PopeyeJones

Re: XBMC = Amazing media player+FREE Movies+TV Shows+Sports+

Post by PopeyeJones »

Yeah, don't have a need for this with my setup, but I have a couple friends who fuck with it majorly and love it. Serious cosign once removed.

bmurf75

Post by bmurf75 »

My recent re-discovery of the newer version along with the 1Channel and Icefilm add ons have been a complete game changer. Just about every new release DVD is available to watch, and many not available on DVD yet. Actually, I have been able to find almost every movie that I've searched for, new or old. The OneClickMoviez2 another worth installing. I plan on watching the Mayweather fight tonight using the SportsDevil add on.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

What is boxee? Maybe I'm not spelling it right but a friend has it and says it's similar.

bmurf75

Post by bmurf75 »

Boxee is very much like XBMC. It was actually derived from XBMC. Much of Boxee's source code is from XBMC.

Tariq's Dilemma

Post by Tariq's Dilemma »

Got an HD projector that hooks up to the comp so I don't need this. Thanks for the info on icefilms though - sight is amazing.

Dragondude R

Post by Dragondude R »

Got it on my Raspberry Pi, love it. IceFilms = :bow:

Hush

Post by Hush »

I'm about two years too late but I just side-loaded Kodi (formerly XBMC, they changed the name) on my Amazon Fire TV Stick. I watched a movie and a couple of TV shows on the Genesis app last night. Aside from having to pick a couple of different sources to get the best stream, it worked pretty well. Time to cancel Hulu Plus.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Is this only available on the Fire TV stick?

Hush

Post by Hush »

Philaflava wrote:Is this only available on the Fire TV stick?
http://kodi.wiki/view/Devices" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

alpha

Post by alpha »

does this work on xbox1?

quick google search seems to be a no :(

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

alpha wrote:does this work on xbox1?

:copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :rofl:

this dude said xbox 1. you know how old that is?
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

alpha

Post by alpha »

you're a world class retard. gtfo.
xbox=xbox
xbox1=xbox one

just because I know you're not gonna get it.

Post by 907 »

ChaMerZ wrote:
alpha wrote:does this work on xbox1?

:copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :rofl:

this dude said xbox 1. you know how old that is?
:rofl:
Jesus.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

i have a raspberry pi and wasn't aware you could install xbmc on it. the wifi dongle that my pi came with is inoperative, so i can't really move it close to my tv. rright now it is sitting right by the router in the basement. i store all my code in there and interact with it through ssh. i might get another pi for the living room.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hush

Post by Hush »

So I'm currently using the Fire TV Stick on the bedroom TV. I want to get a second Fire device so I can use Kodi in the living room. The question is, should I go for the Fire TV box or just get another stick?

Hush

Post by Hush »

Hush wrote:So I'm currently using the Fire TV Stick on the bedroom TV. I want to get a second Fire device so I can use Kodi in the living room. The question is, should I go for the Fire TV box or just get another stick?
So I ended up using my QNAP TS-251 NAS in the living room (I talked about it in the media setup thread). It runs Kodi, has HDMI out and works with my Harmony remote! One of the best parts is I can download movies from the Genesis addon in Kodi directly to the NAS drive and they also automatically get added to the Plex server!

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Is there a guide on how to put Kodi on Fire stick? I want to purchase the stick tomorrow.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Philaflava wrote:Is there a guide on how to put Kodi on Fire stick? I want to purchase the stick tomorrow.
Set up your Fire Stick normally (connect to your wifi), then follow this guide to install Kodi:

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/install-kod ... n-fire-tv/

After that, follow this guide to install FireStarter which will make Kodi easier to launch (basically a new home screen that will show Kodi as an installed app):

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/install-fir ... n-fire-tv/

If you don't install FireStarter you'll have to dig into the settings/applications menus to launch Kodi since it won't show up on the official Amazon home screen.

Finally, watch this video to see how to install the TVAddons, which is what will give you the sources for TV Shows, Movies, live TV feeds, etc.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYNp63IgZuU

Enjoy! :cheers:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Thanks bro. So just to confirm, once I install Kodi I'll still have the functionality and apps that originally come with the Fire Stick? Like Showtime Anywhere for example.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Philaflava wrote:Thanks bro. So just to confirm, once I install Kodi I'll still have the functionality and apps that originally come with the Fire Stick? Like Showtime Anywhere for example.
Yes, even after you install FireStarter, all the official apps will also show up on that screen (along with Kodi). There's also an option to go back to the official Amazon home screen if you wish, but there's really no reason to (unless you need to change a setting, such as the wifi connection) as you can launch all official and unofficial apps from the FireStarter menu. Once you get everything installed you'll see what I mean.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Did it last night. Thanks for the help.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Philaflava wrote:Did it last night. Thanks for the help.
No problem, so everything is working? I recommend the Genesis app for finding Movies and TV Shows.