Xbox One (general info and news thread)

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Hush

Re: Xbox One (general info and news thread)

Post by Hush »

Thanks for the invite Sigma! It popped up on SmartGlass a couple of days after you sent it. I downloaded the Preview app on the Xbox and then about a day after that the preview update was available. Glad to report my new USB TV tuner is working! It is much better than the set top box I was using (mentioned in previous post) as it doesn't rely on the IR from the Kinect and it changes channels much faster. You can also pause live TV for up to 30 minutes which is cool (could do that on the box as well but it was slow/clunky as hell and required an external storage device). I also tried out streaming TV to the SmartGlass app, which is neat.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

No worries man.

There's a solid rumour that MS will be adding TV DVR functionality to the Xbox One this year, although if it happens I think it'll only work with the free to air channels, not the encrypted ones, but we'll see.

Game DVR clips are also having the frame rate doubled to 60 FPS and the bit rate is being increased too. It's only available to certain preview members at the moment. Here's a clip captured with the updated system: -

http://xboxclips.com/Mr+XBob/ef95ae63-4 ... 7d58b4f66a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An even better example: -

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/TheMAK11/video/1804443" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hush

Post by Hush »

Saw the rumor about full DVR functionality as well as a 1TB model coming.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I might start a separate thread for the games MS announced at E3 today, but here's a couple of bits and pieces from the conference: -

Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

The Xbox One will be able to play 360 games, including being able to play them online. That includes cross-platform play, so Xbox One owners will be able to play with 360 owners.

They're starting off with a small selection of games that will be available to preview program users. Developers do not have to do any coding to make this work - publishers only need to give permission for the game to be playable on the One - so over time we should see a ton of 360 games being playable on the One.

Both XBLA and disc-based games are supported. XBLA games that you own will show up in your Xbox One's library automatically as they are added to the service, so you don't need to buy them again. For disc-based games, if the game is supported you pop the disc in, the One downloads a digital version of the game, then the disc is just used to prove that you own the game from that point on.

Xbox One Elite controller

This looks fucking wicked, although it's kinda pricey at $150. It's a fully customisable controller with 4 paddles on the back. It comes with 6 different thumb sticks, including taller sticks and dome-shaped sticks, and you can swap them out as you choose. You can also swap the paddles around or remove them. There's also 2 different D-pad styles you can use, as well as adjustable trigger stops.

All of the buttons and paddles are fully mappable. You can even adjust the sensitivity of the sticks. You can create profiles for particular games and save up to 256 of them. The game profiles are attached to your gamertag, so even if you play on another console, your settings will automatically just work for a given game.

The controller is compatible with both the Xbox One and Windows 10 PCs.

New dashboard design

With Windows 10 coming to the Xbox One later this year, MS will be refreshing the Xbox One dashboard design. They'll be giving people a sneak peak at this on their Xbox Daily show today, at midnight (UK time).

EA Access free trial

If you have Xbox Live Gold, you can try EA Access for free for the next 7 days, so you can play any of the games in the vault.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

To follow on from my post above, I just watched the demo of the new dashboard. It looks considerably faster and slicker than the current dashboard. Rather than snapping apps to do common things like checking your friends list or starting a party, there is an overlay that appears over the top of what you're doing on the left and upper edges of the screen.

What interested me the most though, is that they are adding Cortana to the Xbox One for much deeper voice commands. You can say things like "hey Cortana, start a party and invite SigmaTheDJ" and it will start the party and send out the invite without any interruption to your game. You can also say "hey Cortana, is SigmaTheDJ online?" and Cortana will reply via voice to tell you. Another demo they showed is where the guy said "hey Cortana, record the last 60 seconds and post it to my activity feed" and Cortana replied with "what message would you like to add to your clip?" and the guy used speech to text to add a message to the clip.

They said that the new design would be rolling out "very soon", although they didn't give a date.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Backward compatibility is cool, hopefully it doesn't fizzle out like it did on the Xbox 360.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Was considering buying a second system this xmas when price drops happen, was leaning Wii U but backwards compatibility might push me towards a One since I never owned a 360 either.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I tested out the backwards compatibility. It works great. You can even press the menu and back buttons on the controller at the same time to bring up the 360's mini-blades interface and you have all of the functionality that that offers. Also, if a game supports cloud saving on the 360, if you upload your saves to the cloud, they will be automatically downloaded on the Xbox One so you can carry on from where you left off. So far I've had 11 XBLA games added to my Xbox One library automatically, so it's early days yet as far as game availability is concerned.

The Cortana stuff seems deeper than I thought at first too, as it integrates across all devices. For instance, if you set a reminder on your phone that you need to call someone at 8PM, if you're gaming on your Xbox One and it hits 8PM, Cortana will pop up the reminder on the console.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

can i get an invite to the xbox one preview so i can try this backwards compatitbility?

is having xbox one preview worth it too? does it have any flaws of any sort? or should i just wait til the final updates are ready for all?

my xbox one name is JERMUS7

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I'll hook you up with an invite later tonight. It can take a couple of days before you hear anything, but if you're accepted MS will send you a message over Live.

I've been in the preview program from the beginning and I've not had any real issues, but there's always a risk of issues when you're testing beta software. Also, you can get up to 8 dashboard updates per month, which some people don't like. You can opt out though, so you're not stuck in it once you sign up.

One other nice thing about being in the preview program is you sometimes get early access to app and game betas too. EA Access, the media player app, Smite, and the Gears of War remaster being a few examples.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Did you type your gamertag correctly? I tried searching for it, but it says that there's nobody with that name.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

try JERMUS 7

i just want to try the backwards stuff then ill probally opt out

Hush

Post by Hush »

You can vote for the games you want to see be made backward compatible here:

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/29850 ... patibility

Red Dead is currently topping the list and would be a game I could see myself replaying on the Xbox One. I also voted for South Park since I never finished that on 360.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

thanks for the invite if it was one of yall, i got it set up and its now pending, i will play through OG mass effect when its official

i want DOOM BFG

RAGE

SKYRIM

fallout 3/ new vegas

red dead

RE 6

None

Post by None »

LOST ODYSSEY MAKE IT HAPPEN MICROSOFT!

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Any of you guys been testing the "new Xbox One experience" dashboard? I opted in last week and I fucking hate it, not because the idea of it isn't good, but because in its current state it's so fucking broken that I really wouldn't recommend opting in to test it.

I'll be very surprised if this gets a public release in November. Pretty much nothing works properly and consistently as of the most recent release.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Sigma wrote:Any of you guys been testing the "new Xbox One experience" dashboard? I opted in last week and I fucking hate it, not because the idea of it isn't good, but because in its current state it's so fucking broken that I really wouldn't recommend opting in to test it.

I'll be very surprised if this gets a public release in November. Pretty much nothing works properly and consistently as of the most recent release.
Yes and I had the same experience as you. You can opt back out of it in the Preview Dashboard app (go to Registration), but it takes a couple of days to revert back. I changed it on Friday night and Sunday afternoon I got an update that rolled it back to the old Dashboard.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I picked up one of the Elite controllers last week. It's great! Much better than the Sharq controller I had before, which also had paddles on the back.

It comes with a bunch of stuff in the box: -

The controller
A carrying case
3 pairs of sticks (regular, domed and tall)
2 D-pads (regular and faceted)
4 paddles
A long, braided USB cable

It's built better than the regular controllers as it uses metal parts instead of plastic in places, such as for the sticks and D-pads. All of the removable parts are pulled into place via magnets, but nothing rattles or feels loose when you're gaming.

The app (on either Xbox or Windows 10) allows you to customise pretty much everything, from remapping all of the buttons and paddles, to adjusting the curve of the triggers, to adjusting each of the 4 vibration motors individually (including turning vibration off for any motor), and even adjusting the brightness of the main home button.

You can create up to 512 profiles and some are included as examples. The controller has a switch on it that lets you switch between any 2 profiles instantly during gameplay, which is cool.

It's pricey, but if you're really into certain types of games it's well worth the money IMO.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Oh yeah, the new Xbox One dashboard is being released to everyone next week, on the 12th of November. Amongst other things, it adds backwards compatibility and there will be 100 backwards compatible titles available at launch. The list of titles will be published by MS on the 9th.

Also, from this month onwards, all of the Xbox 360 Games With Gold will be backwards compatible with the Xbox One, so Xbox One owners will now get 4 free games per month - 2 Xbox One games and 2 Xbox 360 games that will run on the Xbox One - so make sure you grab them all.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Sigma wrote:Oh yeah, the new Xbox One dashboard is being released to everyone next week, on the 12th of November. Amongst other things, it adds backwards compatibility and there will be 100 backwards compatible titles available at launch. The list of titles will be published by MS on the 9th.

Also, from this month onwards, all of the Xbox 360 Games With Gold will be backwards compatible with the Xbox One, so Xbox One owners will now get 4 free games per month - 2 Xbox One games and 2 Xbox 360 games that will run on the Xbox One - so make sure you grab them all.
Great news! Hopefully they will have the major bugs worked out of the new dashboard before the official launch on the 12th.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

The list of known issues has already shrunk a lot since I opted out of testing it, but I suspect they're pushing this out to try and use backwards compatibility as a marketing point going into the holiday sales period, so I'm not expecting it to be perfect.

It will be missing a feature or two, for instance, you'll be able to see that your friends are in a party, but you won't be able to see who they're in the party with unless you join it. That functionality is being added back in in a later update.

I'm gonna opt back into the preview program once the November 12th build is pushed out, as I suspect they'll continue working on it at a pretty rapid pace post-release.

Hush

Post by Hush »

BC games I hope they add:

Red Dead Redemption
XCOM
South Park Stick of Truth

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Here's the list of the first batch of backwards compatible games: -

http://majornelson.com/2015/11/09/the-l ... d=18611744" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's 104 games in total. The DLC for these games will work too, if you have any of that.

Only 1 of the 3 games you wanted made the cut, Hush (Stick of Truth).

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Its hard to say that list is anything but massively disappointing.
It's 2/3 arcade titles and most of the 360 games are widely available on other platforms.
I was really looking forward to this as a One owner who didn't have a 360, and other than the Gears of Wars games, there's basically nothing here to interest me.
Was really hoping for Alan Wake.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I had over 200 XBLA games on the 360, so getting those back is what I was interested in, more than playing the bigger disc-based titles, but I do agree that the selection is weak, even for someone like me.

Still, it's just the beginning so we'll have to see how it goes.

Hush

Post by Hush »

So did the update hit today? Looking forward to checking it out after work...

Hush

Post by Hush »

Got the update last night - had to go into settings and grab it manually. It was about ~1GB.

When I checked games & apps I had a handful of 360 games I could download. I played a round of Pac Man CE and it worked fine. Hopefully they will continue to support this and keep adding the classics.

It seems like they've worked out most of the bugs in the dashboard since the preview version was released, although I seem to be having trouble signing in when I first power on the console (I do have mine in instant on mode).

Hush

Post by Hush »

Hush wrote:BC games I hope they add:

Red Dead Redemption
XCOM
South Park Stick of Truth
Looks like they've fulfilled my wishlist. RDR just went up today and is on sale for $7.49 for Gold members.