Xbox One (general info and news thread)

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

ThaJim2

Re: Xbox One (general info and news thread)

Post by ThaJim2 »

I am glad that you fixed your problem I had a weird one earlier. I dont know if I posted it but earlier this year when I moved it to another room the sound went out on the ESPN app but only during live shows. If you watched ESPN 3 stuff it worked perfectly, the commercials had sound. Then on Blu Rays playing back and Amazon Prime videos I watch there would be all of the sounds except dialogue. I could not find anything and called ESPN and then posted on the xbox fourms nothing. So I did a factory reset and everything worked perfectly since. What was really nice is that while I had to redownload shit I did not have to put in all the authentication codes for the services.

What are you playing on the One? If you play Titanfall I am Jim Is Awesome.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

MS announced today that they are offering a unified development platform for apps, which means that if a developer writes an app for the Windows Store, that app will work on Windows, Windows RT, Windows Phone and Xbox One consoles without them having to do any extra coding.

That's pretty huge news for the Xbox One. When you consider that there are over 140,000 apps in the Windows Store (as of December 31st last year), it means that there will be a HUGE increase in the number of apps available on the console.

None

Post by None »

Sigma wrote:MS announced today that they are offering a unified development platform for apps, which means that if a developer writes an app for the Windows Store, that app will work on Windows, Windows RT, Windows Phone and Xbox One consoles without them having to do any extra coding.

That's pretty huge news for the Xbox One. When you consider that there are over 140,000 apps in the Windows Store (as of December 31st last year), it means that there will be a HUGE increase in the number of apps available on the console.
That was the smartest thing Sony did a year ago, I hope it works out as well for Microsoft.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

You're talking about cross-buy there, which is related, but isn't really the same thing. Sony doesn't have a desktop/tablet/phone OS that developers are targeting. The fact that a developer can write a single app and it will work on Windows 8.1, Window RT, Windows Phone 8.1 and the Xbox One via a single marketplace is going to make a massive difference. Of course cross-buy is also a part of that too.

None

Post by None »

Sigma wrote:You're talking about cross-buy there, which is related, but isn't really the same thing. Sony doesn't have a desktop/tablet/phone OS that developers are targeting. The fact that a developer can write a single app and it will work on Windows 8.1, Window RT, Windows Phone 8.1 and the Xbox One via a single marketplace is going to make a massive difference. Of course cross-buy is also a part of that too.
Sony made a similar thing last year that made it possible to port easily from PS3 to Vita (and PS Mobile to Vita) to PS4 and from PC to those systems as well. Of course, Cross-Buy is another great feature, but not something that makes sense for MS.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

That was a partnership with Unity, who are also partnered with MS in 2013. Using that game engine allows devs to more easily port between platforms, but this isn't the same as that. This allows devs to write one app and have it work on all MS platforms with no porting required at all.

So, let's say Netflix create a new version of their app. The PS3 uses a different architecture to the PS4, which uses a different architecture to the Vita. If you buy a Sony laptop it will run Windows. If you buy a Sony phone it will run Android. So that's a different version of the app for each device. With this, they would write one app and they can tailor the interface for specific devices if necessary.

The other advantage is that notifications and other data will be synced across all the versions of the app via Azure. For example, if you make an in-app purchase on the Xbox One version of the app, that content would be unlocked on your phone, tablet, desktop PC or laptop. If you play a game on your desktop PC, then play it on the Xbox One, your save will automatically carry over. Things like that.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

This is a big reason I have bought into the MS ecosystem for the day that this would all come together. This should mean a faster pipeline for when apps are made for MS systems because well you would be stupid not to target this first or second. Now if I could just figure out why my surface bookmarks are no longer syncing with my desktops but will worry about that next wed.

None

Post by None »

Sigma wrote:That was a partnership with Unity, who are also partnered with MS in 2013. Using that game engine allows devs to more easily port between platforms, but this isn't the same as that. This allows devs to write one app and have it work on all MS platforms with no porting required at all.

So, let's say Netflix create a new version of their app. The PS3 uses a different architecture to the PS4, which uses a different architecture to the Vita. If you buy a Sony laptop it will run Windows. If you buy a Sony phone it will run Android. So that's a different version of the app for each device. With this, they would write one app and they can tailor the interface for specific devices if necessary.

The other advantage is that notifications and other data will be synced across all the versions of the app via Azure. For example, if you make an in-app purchase on the Xbox One version of the app, that content would be unlocked on your phone, tablet, desktop PC or laptop. If you play a game on your desktop PC, then play it on the Xbox One, your save will automatically carry over. Things like that.
That's right. It has been a while since they revealed that Unity roll out. I forgot exactly what it involved, but it was a vital thing for Sony to attract devs to their consoles since the PS3's architecture is so fucked, it turned off plenty of people. It was the combo of that and the revision to self-pub on their systems that seemed similar.

I have zero interest into buying into the Microsoft ecosystem (outside of the Xbone and even that was due to getting a deal on it at launch), but this is good news for those who do.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

The YouTube app has now been updated so that you can upload game DVR clips directly to YouTube. You can also snap the app and watch videos now. Pretty cool.

Killer Instinct has just got an update too. A new character (Fulgore) has been added, along with an arcade mode and 8 player lobbies. The update is a pretty big 6.8GB, although if your console is in instant on mode it should have downloaded automatically.

The ID@Xbox programme is live now, so we should start seeing XBLA-style games rolling into the store. The first one is Strike Suit Zero, which went live on the store yesterday.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

The beta version of SmartGlass is wicked. One new feature that I really like is the ability to access the OneGuide. When you install apps on the console, they automatically add themselves as channels, so you get a list like this: -

Then you can swipe up and down to browse them. When you tap on one, it expands like this: -

Then you can swipe left and right to browse the content, in this case, the top movies on Amazon Instant Video. When you tap on a movie, you get this: -

Then if you hit the play button, it automatically launches the Amazon Instant Video app on the Xbox One and the movie starts playing straight away, and the phone screen becomes a remote control: -

If you've got a cable or satellite box connected to your Xbox One, you can also browse a complete TV guide and tap on programmes to play them in just the same way. You can add both TV and app channels to a favourites list.

You can also use your phone or tablet as a full remote for the Xbox One and all apps now, and you can set it to send notifications to your phone or tablet when friends that you've added to your favourites come online. They've done a really good job with this!

I don't know what other platforms the beta is available on, but it's definitely available on Android. You can download it here: -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... glass.beta

It doesn't replace your existing SmartGlass installation if you've already got the regular version installed.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Rumored games that will be at E3 for Xbox One

-Ryse 2 set in the medieval times release in 2016
-Forza Horizon 2 late this year
-Halo 2 Anniversary
-Halo 5 release date
-Battletoads will be a download title by Rare
-Perfect Dark will become an adventure game in 3rd person
-That Epic demo from a couple years ago will become a game for the Xbox 1 exclusive
-Gears of War will have footage shown
-Fable Legends
-Quantum Break release in Nov
-Sunset Overdrive late sumer
-Crackdown
-Some other stuff
-Games with Gold will be annocued for One.

Post by 360 »

I was really hoping for more originals. Too many sequels that should be dead by now. I used to love Halo and Halo 2 is my favorite shooter of all time and is also a lot of other people's, as well, so hopefully they will have multiplayer. All of those rumored titles are easy guesses, though. I'm sure MS is going to showcase a bunch of titles we don't even know of as I'm assuming this E3 is going to be incredible. It has to be if any of these new systems are going to generate some much needed momentum. Granted, all systems in the last couple of gens have taken about a year to truly pick up steam.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

The June dashboard update has been announced and has the following features: -

External hard drive support for games and apps - You can plug in any hard drive that's 256GB or greater in size. You can have 2 drives connected at the same time. You can take your hard drive to a friend's house, plug it into his console, sign into Xbox Live, then you can access your games and apps on their machine.

Real names - If you want to, you can choose to have your real name displayed to friends/friends of friends on Xbox Live. You can choose from everyone on your friends list, a subset of friends of your choosing, friends of friends, or no friends at all. Whatever you choose, your real name will not show up to random players when you're playing games.

Automatic non-Kinect account log in - Currently, the only way to log in is via Kinect or doing it manually. This update will let you choose a gamertag, and the Xbox One will automatically sign into it when the console is booted, just like you could on the 360.

Smartglass updates - They are basically taken the stuff that's in the current beta out of beta. Read my post above about that.

OneGuide TV guide coming to new markets - The new markets are the UK, Canada, Italy, France, Spain and Germany.

Gold changes - The changes to Xbox Live Gold will kick in shortly after this update goes live, so Gold will no longer be required to use apps, and Games With Gold will start on the Xbox One, with Halo Spartan Assault and Max The Curse of Brotherhood being the first 2 free games on the service.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

A bunch of new apps have been announced today, including HBO Go for the Xbox One: -
Antena 3. Xbox One: ES
ChiliTV. Xbox One: IT
Comedy Central. Xbox One: US
Crunchyroll. Xbox One: AU, AT, BR, CA, DE, ES, FR, IE, IT, MX, NZ, UK, US
ENCORE Play. Xbox One: US
EPIX. Xbox One: US
Filmbox Live. Xbox 360: AR, AU, AT, BE, BR, CA, CL, CO, CZ, DK, FI, FR, DE, GR, HK, HU, IN, IE, IL, IT, JP, MX, NL, NZ, NO, PL, PT, RU, SA, SG, SK, ZA, KR, ES, SE, CH, TW, TR, AE, UK, US
Fox Play. Xbox One: MX, BR. Xbox 360: MX, BR, AR, CO, CH
Frightflix. Xbox One: US
FXNOW. Xbox 360: US
Gol TV. Xbox One: ES
GoPro. Xbox One: US, CA, MX, UK, FR, DE, IT, ES, AU, BR, AT, NZ, IR
HBO GO. Xbox One: US: Xbox 360: MX, BR, AR, CO, CH
iHeartRadio. Xbox One: US
Infinity. Xbox One: IT
IVI. Xbox 360: RU
KDrama. Xbox One: AU, AT, BR, CA, DE, ES, FR, IE, IT, MX, NZ, UK, US. Xbox 360: AR, AU, AT, BE, BR, CA, CL, CO, CZ, DK, FI, FR, DE, GR, HK, HU, IN, IE, IL, IT, MX, NL, NZ, NO, PL, PT, RU, SA, SG, SK, ZA, ES, SE, CH, TW, TR, AE, UK, US
maxdome. Xbox One: AT, DE
MLG. Xbox One: US, UK, CA, AU
MOVIEPLEX Play. Xbox One: US
MTV. Xbox One: US
NBA. Xbox One: AT, AU, BR, CA, FR, DE, IE, IT, MX, ES, NZ, UK, US
NHL. Xbox One: US, CA, MX, UK, FR, DE, IT, ES, AU, BR, AT, NZ, IR. Xbox 360: US, CA, MX, UK, FR, DE, IT, ES, JP, AU, BR, NL, SE, RU, TW, PL, IN, HK, TR, BE, AT, NZ, SA, AR, NO, CH, SG, ZA, IR, DK, CO, CL, FI, CZ, HU, IL, GR, PT, SK
Now TV. Xbox One: UK
Picturebox. Xbox 360: UK
Popcornflix. Xbox One: US
ShowTime Anytime. Xbox 360: US
Sky News. Xbox One: UK, IE, US, CA. Xbox 360: UK, IE, US, CA
Sky Online. Xbox One: IT
STARZ Play. Xbox One: US
STV. Xbox 360: UK
Syfy Now. Xbox One: US
Target Ticket. Xbox One: US
TuneIn. Xbox One: US, CA, MX, UK, FR, DE, IT, ES, AU, BR, AT, NZ, IR
TV2. Xbox 360: DK
Twitter. Xbox One: US
USA Now. Xbox One: US
VEO. Xbox One: MX. Xbox 360: MX
Vevo. Xbox One: CA, US, AU, FR, DE, IR, BR,ES, IT, UK, NZ
VH1. Xbox One: US
Vine. Xbox One: US
WATCH ABC. Xbox 360: US
WATCH Disney Channel. Xbox 360: US
WATCH Disney Junior. Xbox 360: US
WATCH Disney XD. Xbox 360: US
Watchever. Xbox One: DE
A demo of how Twitter will work: -

Also, the latest dashboard update is out for everyone today, which includes the things I mentioned in the post above this one.

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

Finally caved and got one of these. Kinda iffy on Titanfall as multiplayer shooters aren't really my bag most of the time, but really digging Forza. The Snap feature is kinda awesome - running cources on Forza while watching Daria from Amazon Prime was pretty dope.

Thinking Titanfall is going back for Dead Rising 3.

None

Post by None »

LameAim wrote:Finally caved and got one of these. Kinda iffy on Titanfall as multiplayer shooters aren't really my bag most of the time, but really digging Forza. The Snap feature is kinda awesome - running cources on Forza while watching Daria from Amazon Prime was pretty dope.

I am an ardent supporter of Dead Rising 3, so this is not a bad trade-off by any means.

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

None wrote:
LameAim wrote:Finally caved and got one of these. Kinda iffy on Titanfall as multiplayer shooters aren't really my bag most of the time, but really digging Forza. The Snap feature is kinda awesome - running cources on Forza while watching Daria from Amazon Prime was pretty dope.

I am an ardent supporter of Dead Rising 3, so this is not a bad trade-off by any means.

Word. Forza and Dead Rising 3 are the games that kinda put me on the XB1 over the PS4 - I'm sure I'll have both at some point, but none of the PS4 exclusives have really grabbed my attention as much as those two just yet, so I can hold off on the PS4 for now.

Has anyone played Thief? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

WOLFENSTEIN is where its at

None

Post by None »

Neuro wrote:WOLFENSTEIN is where its at
WOLFENSTEIN IS ALSO VERY GOOD!

Oh and if you want a cool take on Contra try Super Time Force. It is pretty great.

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

Already ended up with an Xbox Two.

First one locked up with full-on hard drive clicking after two days. Killed power to get it to stop and could never get past the splash screen afterward. Back to the store it went.

Second unit's controller had a broken shoulder button out of the box. Back to the store it went. Extended warranty looking like a good idea at this point.

Was really hoping to sidestep any console issues with hopping in at the 6-month point - guess not.

On the plus side, Dead Rising 3 is fun as fuck. Forza isn't too bad, either.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

they really need to move all or most of the great xbox arcade games over to xbox one

its ridiculous , i know games are being made but cmon already lets start the transition

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

A beta of Plex is launching for the Xbox One soon. Some info from one of the devs: -
I've adopted a policy of if you don't have Kinect, it will do everything that you've come to expect from Plex Home Theater, including using the Plex apps for Phones and Tablets to control it, the Plex Media Server Webpage, normal media remotes... whatever.

However, If you have Kinect you should be able to do more... much more...

Kinect should make for a better experience than is possible through a conventional media remote. It should let you do the things that presently require stand-alone apps like the Plex Phone apps to serve as your remote control, except be easier to use, be quicker to access, and have better accessibility for even the most simple tasks than a media remote.

With that can come better experiences than we've previously seen. It opens the door to asking your Xbox to do things for you and have it obey.
Things like "Xbox, Pause Until I Get Back" or "Xbox, Play the Sequel When This is Over" or "Xbox, Skip the Credits" or "Xbox, Play some Music".
Things that seem extraordinarily simple, yet allow you to enjoy your media in ways that previously haven't been possible.
https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/ ... ntry671147

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

i dont use the kinect , its worthless , id rather not yell at my tv, pressing a button is much much easier

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Neuro wrote:i dont use the kinect , its worthless , id rather not yell at my tv, pressing a button is much much easier
Nah. It's easier to say "Xbox go to YouTube" than scroll over to Pins, select the pin, then press A, or to have to go into My Games & Apps and find it there. You can launch anything directly with voice, so it's almost always faster than using the controller. I don't see what's "much much easier" about moving a cursor around with a joystick and pressing a button compared to just saying "Xbox go to YouTube" either to be honest.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

each his own

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Xbox.com has been updated today, so it now includes Xbox One profiles and you can watch game clips and stuff directly on the site: -

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

The next preview dashboard update is rolling out soon. Here's the features: -

The activity feed will change. It'll be a single column scrolling list. You can post text to your feed and comment on/like feed items. You can share game clips in the feed either publicly or privately. You'll get optional notifications when people like or share anything from your feed.

There's a new Friends are on the Home screen, so you can see what your friends are doing, what the top most-played games are amongst your friends, leaderboards etc. Only a subset of the people in the preview program will get this, as they want extended feedback on refining it and rolling it out to everyone.

You'll be able to purchase content via SmartGlass on your phone/tablet or on Xbox.com and if your console is in "instant on" mode, it will automatically download to your Xbox One ready for when you get home.

There's a low battery notification for the controllers.

You can disable notifications when you're watching videos.

3D support will be added for Blu-Ray playback.

You'll be able to see how long it's been since any friend was online, e.g. "Last seen 20 minutes ago playing Forza Motorsport 5".

The OneGuide is coming to Brazil, Mexico, Austria and Ireland.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

A video of the above: -

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Strike Suit Zero: Director's Cut and Crimson Dragon will be the free gold games for the One in August.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

let us play 360 games already!!!!!!!!

or

let us use xbox one controllers for 360!!!!