Xbox One (general info and news thread)

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

ThaJim2

Xbox One (general info and news thread)

Post by ThaJim2 »

Did not see a thread. Its being announced right now and damn this is going to own the living room. Just the TV shit is going to be worth the cost.

Edit 1: They have a live action Halo show with Spielberg. If they put some real resources this could be huge for sales.

Edit 2: UGGGHHH why the fuck why did this fantasy dork shit take over ever thing? Fucking even the new screw the tax payer of Atlanta has some huge ass dork area.
Last edited by ThaJim2 on Tue May 21, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hayzoos

Re: Xbox One

Post by Hayzoos »

Looks amazing so far. Loving the built in DVR.
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Holy shit I cant wait to Ghost. Gaghan wrote one of my favorite movies so looking forward to the story. The AI shit with the dog and fish looks rad. settings look great. Graphics look awesome.

Hush

Post by Hush »

From my own personal impressions I'm still giving a slight edge to the PS4 as the one I think I would rather purchase at this point. I doubt I'll get either on day one though, I'd rather wait and see how things play out for a few more months before making a decision. Similar to other generations I'll probably cop one early on and then wait a couple of years to cop the competitor (after a price drop and several games/exclusives have been released).

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

500$ cable box sweet

if they don't have some amazing exclusives to show at E3 Sony will be getting my money first this year

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

nah. never was an xbox man tho
moved by duck muscles

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

Hey guys instead of a game system how about this voice-activated remote control for your television that lets you tweet your high scores

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/21/xbox- ... me-market/
Xbox One may require game installs, close out used game market [Update]

Update [8:00pm]: In an attempt to further clarify the confusion, Major Nelson wrote on his blog: "While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail. Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios." Fees, however, appear to be part of the plan, with Major Nelson noting that players will not have to pay a fee to play a game at their friend's house, so long as they are connected to the Xbox profile associated with that game. Presumably, that means games are locked to accounts initially. Joystiq will have detailed interviews with Microsoft executives to clarify this matter, once and for all.

Original Post: The Xbox One may shut the door on the used gaming market, according to a report on Wired.

Microsoft's new system will allow – and possibly require – games to be installed to the console's 500GB hard drive, which locks a piece of software to an account, the report states. Once installed, players do not require a disc to boot the software. If a game is used with a second account, that owner will be given the option to pay a fee and install the experience on their own console, Microsoft told Wired. Whether "account" means an entirely new console or another Xbox Live account on the same console, is unclear.

Though Microsoft wouldn't get into specifics as to how this decision affects the used game market, the decision calls into doubt the viability of rental services such as GameFly and RedBox, and used game markets from major retailers such as GameStop, Amazon and BestBuy, with the Xbox One.

Wired's feature says that Xbox One's always-on internet connection rumors were not unfounded, but not as draconian as gamers feared. Developers will have the option to create games that use Microsoft's Azure cloud computing service, which Wired postulates could be done to offload certain computing tasks in the cloud rather than processing them on the console. In this instance, the Xbox One would require a connection to the internet – even during single-player experiences.

Microsoft says this is not a requirement for developers that wish to create offline experiences; however, Microsoft's Marc Whitten told Wired they "hope" developers utilize the tools. The Xbox One's sometimes needs to be on connection could evolve, throughout the generation, as an always-on machine.

Update [4:50pm]: Wired has updated its original feature noting that Microsoft contacted them to clarify a plan is in place for used games, but did not detail it. One of Microsoft's official Xbox Support twitter accounts says there are in fact "no fees" associated with used games and the Wired feature is incorrect. Wired's updated article still makes mention of a fee. Joystiq is at the Microsoft event and will attempt to clear the confusion.

Update [2:50pm]: In a post answering "top questions" about the Xbox One, the official Microsoft page notes the system "does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet." Additionally Microsoft notes that in the case of pre-owned software, the Xbox one is designed "to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We'll have more details to share later." The Q&A makes no mention of the fees confirmed by Microsoft to Wired. The Q&A post from Microsoft's official page appears to have been removed.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

I'm not even really into games anymore, but as an indifferent observer, it looks to me like MS dropped the ball big time.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

You already know the gaming is going to be on point, that not even an issue. I think it's awesome that they're adding all this extra shit. I don't know how anyone is disappointed, they're gonna show off the gaming power at E3 in a few weeks, this was just about showing all the sweet shit it's gonna have.

Most people I know with a 360 these days use it more for entertainment than gaming anyways. Idk why any of this shit they announced today isn't more than a welcome addition.
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

yea I'm not taking shit for granted. Them mother fuckers are gonna have to show me some gameplay footage. All this "enhance your TV viewing experience" bullshit isn't doing a damn thing for me.

Of course the feeble domes will flock to whatever shiny new object they put on display blindly. The lack of backward compatibility and the whole charging for secondary game installs isn't a good look. Lot of ppl are saying M$ took a "L" yesterday.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I think it looks good. I understand why they showed what they showed, even if it's getting slated by some gamers right now. As long as they have a good showing at E3, they'll be fine though.

I can't stand the DualShock controller, which would be my main reason for choosing this over the PS4. Both systems will no doubt have solid exclusives, but I just can't get along with that controller. Every time I played a PS3 exclusive I wanted to throw the thing against a fucking wall.

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

Sigma wrote:I think it looks good. I understand why they showed what they showed, even if it's getting slated by some gamers right now. As long as they have a good showing at E3, they'll be fine though.

I can't stand the DualShock controller, which would be my main reason for choosing this over the PS4. Both systems will no doubt have solid exclusives, but I just can't get along with that controller. Every time I played a PS3 exclusive I wanted to throw the thing against a fucking wall.

Dog, there are WAY too many third party pads/mod options out to still have that gripe... I read a quote from somewhere about Microsoft chasing Apple and Google with this box; this reveal does a lot to underscore those notions. I have zero desire to Skype while playing a game or watching a movie. I am all in for the second wave of PS4 consoles,once all they bugs are sorted. As far as the looks of the console, I don't mind it. Simple and clean will always be my preferred style of design; this should integrate into most home setups quite easily.

Hush

Post by Hush »

^^^

The Dualshock 4 looks to be quite an improvement ergonomically over the past versions:

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Post by 360 »

I'm not sure what to think about any of the systems yet.

It all comes down to information that hasn't been revealed.

Also, IDK why both console companies are advertising distracting applications as features, i.e. surfing the web or checking some app while watching a movie. Who tf does that? Imagine you're watching a movie with a friend and they start pulling up web browsers and such in the middle of the fucking flick.

I also don't like the Kinect. It seems far to invasive. If, when connected to the net and plugged in, all you have to do is say xbox on, that means the kinect is always on. Hopefully they fixed the mic issues.

Also, I'm reading on the net that when people were watching the presentation with their Kinects on, whenever a command was issued during the demo, it also activated peoples' kinects in their homes. LOL

Talk about presenting a flaw during a time when it's most important NOT to.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Truth. wrote:500$ cable box sweet

It'll still require a separate cable box.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

Reports suggests no 3rd party peripherals for the Xbox1

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Sigma wrote:I think it looks good. I understand why they showed what they showed, even if it's getting slated by some gamers right now. As long as they have a good showing at E3, they'll be fine though.
"Gamers" are seriously the whiniest bitches on the planet. I think their ass hurts most because it was EA Sports and COD as the games showed yesterday and these faggots cant seem to understand that their nerd games only get made because of these franchises. They cant seem to grasp that this was for the mainstream press to got on the 11 o clock local news. They will talk about more games in fucking 19 days at the trade show for video games. They will get into more details a few weeks after E3 at MS developer conference. Its seriously crazy that MS would do it this way with talking about the aspects of the product that matter to the audience that wants that info whne the events are so close together.

Dwight Strawberry

Post by Dwight Strawberry »

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Hayzoos wrote:Idk why any of this shit they announced today isn't more than a welcome addition.

Useless gimmicks + having to pay a fee to play used games. What's not to like??

Looks like I picked the perfect time to get out of console gaming.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Hayzoos wrote: Most people I know with a 360 these days use it more for entertainment than gaming anyways. Idk why any of this shit they announced today isn't more than a welcome addition.
They showed a one game, which is the eighteen billionth in that series, and talked about how cool it was that you have a dog with an ear tattoo. The rest of the presentation focused on bullshit like fantasy football and how cool it is you can Skype with your friend while you watch TV, as if these are things you haven't been able to do on any laptop since 2006, and on most smart TVs that have been made in the last few years. It's cool if they want to make a media box, and they have a monolithic brand to back it up, but it seems foolish to split the difference between people who buy a device to play videogames vesus people who want a higher end Apple TV.

As far "you know they'll have games"... well, it would have been nice if they showed some of them. The info regarding the gaming aspect of the system is largely negative - mandatory installs, a 24 hour internet check, and a fee for installing used games are fairly hostile to consumers. Nothing is so egregious that it'll make an impact on the launch - but have you ever tried to sign in to your own profile on someone elses xbox? The shit is a nightmare, as is most of Xbox interface. 8 and Metro are a mess, and I can't picture Microsoft magically getting something this key correct after never having come close in 30+ years previously.

Either way, I'm sure it'll be a smash hit, but it made the choice to go PS4 that much easier. I'll miss my achievement points.
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Kony Montana wrote:
Hayzoos wrote: Most people I know with a 360 these days use it more for entertainment than gaming anyways. Idk why any of this shit they announced today isn't more than a welcome addition.
They showed a one game, which is the eighteen billionth in that series, and talked about how cool it was that you have a dog with an ear tattoo. The rest of the presentation focused on bullshit like fantasy football and how cool it is you can Skype with your friend while you watch TV, as if these are things you haven't been able to do on any laptop since 2006, and on most smart TVs that have been made in the last few years. It's cool if they want to make a media box, and they have a monolithic brand to back it up, but it seems foolish to split the difference between people who buy a device to play videogames vesus people who want a higher end Apple TV.

As far "you know they'll have games"... well, it would have been nice if they showed some of them. The info regarding the gaming aspect of the system is largely negative - mandatory installs, a 24 hour internet check, and a fee for installing used games are fairly hostile to consumers. Nothing is so egregious that it'll make an impact on the launch - but have you ever tried to sign in to your own profile on someone elses xbox? The shit is a nightmare, as is most of Xbox interface. 8 and Metro are a mess, and I can't picture Microsoft magically getting something this key correct after never having come close in 30+ years previously.

Either way, I'm sure it'll be a smash hit, but it made the choice to go PS4 that much easier. I'll miss my achievement points.
Again. E3 is in 18 days. Build is in like a month. This was the teaser trailer basically so that the Xbox One can be in the news for nearly a month straight. They announce that a counsel is coming out now and give some details in order not to over shadow the games that will be announced in less then 3 weeks. The next most appropriate place to talk about the media aspects of the system will not be until ComicCon. Personally I would have held off until then to announce the Halo show.

They showed off the 2 biggest selling games on the market yesterday with FIFA and COD as well as 1 new IP. That new IP already is overshadowed. So it was smart to separate the game portion in order for them to breath on their own.

Where are you getting this fee for a used game? The fee is for using the same disk to load onto different accounts. MS was asked about used games and said no fee and implied that you would basically have to disassociate the game from your account to sell it. OHS NOS.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Dwight Strawberry wrote:Image
:lol:

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Anyone who is remotely considering buying this is a complete and utter moron.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

I'm a 360 fan, but hearing "kinect is now mandatory" and seeing blatant waffling on the used/borrowed game issue are not good ways to see my money. Reserving judgement until I get more details.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Combo7 wrote:
Hayzoos wrote:Idk why any of this shit they announced today isn't more than a welcome addition.

Useless gimmicks + having to pay a fee to play used games. What's not to like??

Looks like I picked the perfect time to get out of console gaming.
What you into now? PC gaming where the used game market was eradicated years ago?

I don't like this blocking used game shit either though. I like the idea of being able to install a game in full (and on the Xbox One you will be able to start playing the game while it's still installing), register it online, then never having to put the disc in again to play it, but you should be able to de-register a game from your system/account and sell it. It does sound like MS has some plans in terms of used games as they have clarified that you can trade in games and sell them, even though the information some sites are reporting contradicts that. I guess we just need to wait until we have the full picture.

@ThaJim2 - That's why I don't post on dedicated gaming forums. They're largely just full of whining twats and fanboys who get outraged about stuff before they even have all of the information.

Dwight Strawberry

Post by Dwight Strawberry »

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

hayoos is right i haven't played an xbox game in years but i use it weekly for media.

Post by 360 »

The fee for playing used games has not been confirmed and most likely will not happen. I bet the mandatory kinect connection will be amended, also.

I am pissed about the graphics, though.