Xbox One (general info and news thread)

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Truth.

Re: Xbox One

Post by Truth. »

they had to do this at some point, they were shitting bricks seeing how many preorders ps4 was getting

even still their system is $100 more than the competition so we'll see how this turns out now

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

LameAim wrote:The only thing I'm truly irked by is having to pay for a Kinect. I can't see myself using the thing and I haven't been sold on it yet. Not saying that it couldn't be cool, but I'd appreciate less telling and more demonstrations that aren't sports/dance/exercise related.
Yeah, I'm with you there. Right now, Kinect is largely an unknown. They talked up the original one to the point where it sounded like it was going to be something mind-blowing, but in reality it wasn't something I wanted, so all the talk of how improved the new version is doesn't mean too much to me unless they can show me reasons I'd want it - above and beyond the voice/gesture control stuff which is cool, but something I could easily live without. I think it was a mistake to not have a Kinect demo at the E3 press conference to kinda say "look, this is why you want the new Kinect!", especially as Sony ended up undercutting them on the price. Likewise, I'm kinda surprised that Sony didn't show anything of their new PS Eye given that the DualShock has technology built into it that only works in combination with the Eye.

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

what a fucking joke
microsoft should have stuck to their guns instead of listening to idiots on the internet who don't even fully understand why they were "upset"

now all we get is a regular old console with no new features or advancements.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Balzac wrote:what a fucking joke
microsoft should have stuck to their guns instead of listening to idiots on the internet who don't even fully understand why they were "upset"

so you wanted all that bullshit on your system?

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

the xbox one hate drones have out done themselves this time. i ca ... can't ...

:copy: :copy:

http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

Truth. wrote:

i wanted to try out the online game sharing system yes. playing my games at a friends house was one of the coolest features i've heard of in a long time. also the potential for an online rental/subscription service down the line was pretty exciting. being able to go all digital is something i would have loved.

not sure what else is on the system that you are talking about.

now the ps4 and the xbox one are basically identical systems (except the kinect) and the only reason to pick one over the other is game selection.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

^^ Cloud computing and dedicated servers as well for Xbox.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

you bet you anything , they only switched it back to sell them, once they win that they will start to switch it how they wanted it to be originally

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Not going to happen. Their reputation would never recover.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Neuro wrote:you bet you anything , they only switched it back to sell them, once they win that they will start to switch it how they wanted it to be originally
Don't see how they possibly could. You really cant do the awesome digital stuff along with the get raped in the ass by GameStop stuff that the internet demanded. Apparently there is a huge fucking chunk of the first world that can afford a 500 console that has their internet go out for more then 24 hours a time like all the time. So these cats will be on the old way in say 2018 so even if MS wanted to allow people to share games without Disks they could not reach this huge chunk of the internet commenters that have their internet down all of the time.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

Balzac wrote:
Truth. wrote:

i wanted to try out the online game sharing system yes. playing my games at a friends house was one of the coolest features i've heard of in a long time. also the potential for an online rental/subscription service down the line was pretty exciting. being able to go all digital is something i would have loved.

now the ps4 and the xbox one are basically identical systems (except the kinect) and the only reason to pick one over the other is game selection.
and Price!

also I heard the whole game sharing program was just a glorified demo session. Dunno if this was true, just some random grumblings I read on the internets.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

^^ Wasn't true.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Fuck GameStop. Anything that keeps that place in business is bad for humanity.

I would rather eat my game with A1 sauce than sell it to them. I cannot believe they're still in business.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Balzac wrote:
Truth. wrote:

The silver lining in all of this might actually end up being the most important difference. Gamer and Internet guy will have their PS4 instead of being on Xbox Live. Well until the next Halo or Titan Fall of course because of course these are part of their long list of exceptions to their boycott but they will hate the game of course while logging in more hours then it takes to get a Board Certified in neonatal Neurosurgery.

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

ThaJim2 wrote:
Balzac wrote:
Truth. wrote:

The silver lining in all of this might actually end up being the most important difference. Gamer and Internet guy will have their PS4 instead of being on Xbox Live. Well until the next Halo or Titan Fall of course because of course these are part of their long list of exceptions to their boycott but they will hate the game of course while logging in more hours then it takes to get a Board Certified in neonatal Neurosurgery.
Dude what the hell are you talking about?
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Hayzoos wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:
Balzac wrote:
Truth. wrote:

I think he's saying that there will be less PS drones and butthurt 'hardcore' gamers on XBOX live, which is all WIN to him.

the hate is strong in this one
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hustler

Post by hustler »

ChaMerZ wrote:
Hayzoos wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:
I think he's saying that there will be less PS drones and butthurt 'hardcore' gamers on XBOX live, which is all WIN to him.

the hate is so strong in this one that he can barely get his point across. of course the silver lining is that on xbox one he wont have to type his hatred out, he can just use his words by speaking into a headset of course. oh wait, the xbox one does not even come with a headset included of course.
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

hustler wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:
Hayzoos wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:

the hate is so strong in this one that he can barely get his point across. of course the silver lining is that on xbox one he wont have to type his hatred out, he can just use his words by speaking into a headset of course. oh wait, the xbox one does not even come with a headset included of course.
Don't need one it comes with a Kinect slick

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Some updated news on this: -

Every Xbox One will come with a headset.

A Kinect does not have to be connected in order for the console to function. You only have to connect it if you want to play a Kinect game (obviously).

Every Xbox One works as a dev kit for creating games and indies can self-publish on Xbox Live. MS are going to talk more about this at Gamescom.

The headphone output on the bottom of the controller supports 5.1 audio, rather than just stereo.

The controller works as a wired controller when hooked up via USB. With the 360 controller, the cable was just used for charging - if you used the controller when it was connected via the cable, the actual control inputs were still sent over a wireless signal. With the One controller, when it's connected with a cable, it's still used for charging, but it will also send the control inputs through the cable for reduced latency. I guess people who play fighting games where they want as low latency as possible will appreciate that.

The controller will be compatible with Windows PCs at some point. It's a shame they couldn't have got this sorted out at launch, but MS have said it will be ready in 2014 as there's quite a bit to sort out to make sure it's 100% compatible with existing PC games where the 360 controller can be used.

Contrary to rumours about yield issues causing them to have to down-clock the GPU, they've actually boosted the performance of it by about 6%.

The console has been designed to be "intelligent" when it comes to cooling, for example, it will detect if the vents are being partially blocked and increase the fan speed appropriately. It can also switch to a low power mode where virtually no airflow is required, which would prevent the console from overheating and turning off if the vents were totally blocked.

IGN have reported that the fan in the Xbox One is virtually silent. MS said that they want the One to be something people have as the centrepiece in their TV cabinet and they know that when people are watching a TV show or movie, they want the console to be silent, so they have put in a bigger custom designed fan that shifts a decent amount of air at slow speeds. IGN also said that the build quality of the One and Kinect is really good compared to the 360 and original Kinect.

MS have postponed the launch of the One in 8 European countries until 2014, giving localisation issues as the reason.

While things are looking good for the console now, I still think the $100 price difference between it and the PS4 is going to be what holds the One back. I can see them unbundling Kinect in 2014 and perhaps undercutting the PS4 price by 20 bucks or so, even though that will lead to lower developer confidence when it comes to making Kinect games.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Sigma wrote:A Kinect does not have to be connected in order for the console to function. You only have to connect it if you want to play a Kinect game (obviously).
Huge step backwards.

Post by 360 »

I don't really see how that's a huge step backwards. I never cared about my console being a "centerpiece" multimedia unit.

I didn't mind the 24 hr connection too much but it wasn't necessary. Apparently, the main point of it was to enable your xbox to be able to connect to a huge cloud that would enable huge, sprawling game environments. But why would you need to be connected 24/7 for that? It should just connect to the game's cloud when you play the game.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Combo7 wrote:
Sigma wrote:A Kinect does not have to be connected in order for the console to function. You only have to connect it if you want to play a Kinect game (obviously).
Huge step backwards.
I think it is a step backwards, but all the "NSA spying" stuff had people all paranoid. Even though they could still do another u-turn, the Xbox One is only available with a Kinect included so I think the vast majority of people who buy one will plug it in.

@360 - I think the 24 hour check was because of the sharing feature, which has now been scrapped. Without that check, people could have gamed the system to share games for an indefinite period of time, or for however long the time period was in between the checks.

Personally, I wish they'd kept the 24 hour checks so that they could keep the game sharing feature, and I wish that Kinect was mandatory, but could just be switch off via the console to satisfy the "the NSA are watching me!" folks. Rather than limit used game sales, they could have allowed people to de-register their games and sell them anywhere they choose.

The way this product has been handled has been a total mess though, and MS only have themselves to blame for that. They have announced stuff that's negative, such as no headset in the box, which allowed Sony to come out and say "oh, we have a headset in the box for every PS4" - and Sony seized several opportunities to do stuff like that, and rightly so. Then MS have had to do u-turns to try and win back the favour of gamers. Plus you had Mattrick saying stuff like "well if you don't have an Internet connection, we have a console for you - the Xbox 360!", totally missing the point.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

fucking tinfoil hat backwards thinking technology illiterates ruined the xbox one.

i'm still buying one though

:megaman:

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Balzac wrote:fucking tinfoil hat backwards thinking technology illiterates ruined the xbox one.

i'm still buying one though

:megaman:

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Some news from Gamescom: -

MS have announced an indie developer self-publishing scheme called ID@Xbox. Developers that register will get 2 dev kits at no cost and developers will have access to everything the console has to offer including the cloud-based stuff, Kinect and SmartGlass, so it won't be like the 360 where indie devs are limited in what they can do. There is no application fee, nor are there any fees for certification or for title updates.

European pre-orders of the Xbox One will come with a free copy of FIFA 14. The Xbox One version of FIFA 14 also has exclusive Ultimate Team players.

Call of Duty: Ghosts will have dedicated servers on the Xbox One. There will also be a Call of Duty: Ghosts console bundle available at launch.

A 4 player co-op Fable game was announced, called Fable Legends. Trailer: -

Tom Clancy's The Division will have Xbox One exclusive content, although what that will be was not announced.

Ubisoft announced a new Kinect fighting game called Fighter Within that's coming to Xbox One. Trailer: -

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare and Peggle 2 are coming to the Xbox One first and the Xbox One version of P Vs. Z will have an exclusive Boss Mode.

The full launch line-up for the Xbox One was also confirmed today: -

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Crimson Dragon
Dead Rising 3
FIFA 14
Fighter Within
Forza Motorsport 5
Just Dance 2014
Killer Instinct
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
Lococycle
Madden NFL 25
NBA 2K14
NBA LIVE 14
Need for Speed: Rivals
Peggle 2
Powerstar Golf
Ryse: Son of Rome
Skylanders: Swap Force
Watch Dogs
Zoo Tycoon
Zumba Fitness: World Party

If I find any more bits and pieces, I'll add them to this thread later.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

if they could get a kinect fighting game right it could be pretty awesome

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Some more little bits of info: -

Up to 6 people can be logged in to the console at the same time. Kinect can distinguish between logged in users by the sound of their voice, so if me and 2 of my friends are logged in, if I say "Xbox friends list" it will know to display my friends list, rather than someone else's.

You can "follow" up to 1,000 friends, but the number of friends you can have is unlimited. You can pin friends that you game regularly with in a Favourites section to speed up being able to invite them to games, parties etc.

The Xbox One can control other components in your living room via voice controls. It will work as a hands-free universal remote via a built-in IR blaster. The Xbox One will search for other devices in your home theatre set-up and configure it all for you. So you can say things like "Xbox volume up" and it will increase the volume on your TV. Presumably if you have a smartphone or tablet, you will be able to use SmartGlass to use your device as a Harmony-style remote.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

The rumored release date appears to be Nov 8th

The Day One exclusive content has been announced for some of the games

Forza 5- This three car pack includes three cars from Lamborghini, Audi, and Ford. Each vehicle includes a Day One theme and custom tuning packages.
• 2010 Audi TT RS Coupe: Stuffed stem to stern with modern tech, the TT RS is the first TT model to carry Audi’s famed RS badge – a distinction that’s earned on the track from the moment you step on the gas.
• 2013 Ford Focus ST: Debuting with the same 247-hp 2.0-liter turbocharged EcoBoost engine from the much larger Ford Explorer SUV, the new Ford Focus ST packs a serious punch.
• 2011 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera: Like great sculpture, the Superleggera’s chiseled form is carefully considered for maximum impact. That’s where the similarities end, however, because this work of art is best appreciated when it’s moving at top speed.

Dead Rising 3

First up is the classic Frank West outfit, Frank’s zombie slugger weapon, bonus glory attacks, and custom skill move. Also included are custom attribute perks for increased melee damage and tougher survivors.

If Frank West isn’t your style, the limited edition release also includes the official Chuck Greene outfit and Paddle Saw (to help you cut through zombie hoards like butter). Frank West also receives custom attributes including one for vehicle and weapon durability

Ryse

will gain access to an exclusive Gladiator Mode, Co-Op multiplayer map, and weapon add-ons. Crytek wants you to share with your friends though, users who have the Day One edition will be able to invite their “standard edition” friends to join the exclusive multiplayer map.
• Legionnaire’s Trust Exclusive Sword: From the Brotherhood of Metalworkers high in the Swiss Alps comes this well-crafted, finely hammered blade that includes bonus in-game attributes.
• Ruins: Placing gladiators among the columns of an abandoned temple, Ruins will pit players against hordes of Barbarians, attacking from around every corner. The arena changes dynamically during gameplay, adding new obstacles and objectives for the player to encounter and overcome