Xbox One (general info and news thread)

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Sigma

Re: Xbox One

Post by Sigma »

The released date was announced today - November 22nd.

Also, the console has had a 10% CPU boost to 1.75 GHz. Some online stores put up an ad today saying that Forza 5 is bundled in, but then those ads were quickly pulled. Not sure what the deal is there. Maybe you can choose between FIFA 14 (which is bundled in Europe) and Forza 5, or maybe you get both - I dunno.

ThaJim2

Re: Xbox One (release date: November 22nd)

Post by ThaJim2 »

^Was that Europe sites that had the Forza bundled in or where there US sites too?

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

AFAIK it was just European ones.

IGN are now reporting that in the UK you can buy the Xbox One bundled with either FIFA 14 or Forza 5 at no extra cost. I'm sure they'll have similar deals for other countries, but they need to stop fucking about and get all the info out there.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Some new info from Destructoid: -
Working with full production Xbox One hardware, we saw the UI running on what was essentially a final hardware unit. Content was being populated in real time from Microsoft HQ. They ran full test code in front of us, so no canned demos here.

Penella signed into the dash by just waving his hand. Actually, work went on to do so in the background before he even did that, as the Kinect was already seeing and trying to recognize everyone in the room. Waving was more of a confirmation that he was the one that wanted to sign in. From that confirmation, Xbox One pulls down all of Penella's settings, just as he had set up in Redmond, including all of his saved games, apps, and settings.
6 users can sign in at once: -
Now, six users can sign in at one time. Kinect is always watching to know who is in the lead in this case. It sees who is holding the controller and recognizes your voice among others. You could be in a room with five other people logged in and call out to launch a game, and it would do so with your settings and saves intact.
4 apps can be running at the same time: -
The Xbox One can run four apps at the same time in the background. Switching between them is not unlike how it would work on your mobile phone. It's instant. Hitting the X button on the controller takes you back to your home screen, where you'll see four boxes that represent the apps or games running. Pick from any of them to jump right in.

While you can run multiple apps, only one game can be run at one time. Switching games is really easy, though. A voice command will have your current game shut down in 10 seconds, ready to load another.
Apparently, the real shut down time for the game is 4 seconds, not 10, and that 4 second delay was put in there to give people a chance to change their mind.

Game video sharing will be done via Xbox Live at launch, then Facebook and YouTube will be added next year: -
Game capture is pretty slick. We saw a marble maze game get instant capture of the last 30 seconds of buffered frames from a simple voice command. Xbox One's Upload Studio had a 720p 30fps clip waiting immediately after. Users can quickly edit, save, or share this clip with further commands. Another voice command can have you back in the game just as quickly.

Penella says that these clips will only be able to be shared on Xbox Live at launch. They'll have social sites like YouTube and Facebook set up for sharing by next year.
Kinect acts as an "IR blaster on steroids": -
The Kinect does neat things for living room connectivity. It acts as a IR blaster on steroids, sending out so many IR beams that it completely fills a room. These beams bounce off walls and other surfaces, reflecting back at any exposed device in the room. This means that your electronics on shelves, even behind glass, will be able to be controlled by the Xbox One.

Microsoft has set up control schemes that work like Logitech's Harmony system. Your television, receiver, set top box, and other devices will work from your voice commands. We saw a television's volume change from voice commands in a demonstration.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

A walkthrough of the friends app on Xbox One: -

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

If you're stuck in a game you can snap this app off to one side and view video tutorials. Pretty cool: -

Guun

Post by Guun »

The early Xbox One hate was unwarranted. Nerds just like to bitch. This ends up being the better system.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Mine arrived: -

I've already sold the top one for £580 in cash, which means I got mine for £278 instead of £429.

I'll post some impressions later when I've had a good chance to play around with it.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I dunno if anyone here has an Xbox One, but a system update is just starting to roll out for it: -

Here's the changes: -
*Update to My Game & Apps to allow sorting of games and application lists, and separate queue lists for games, applications and installs
*Ability to delete game and application save data
*Improved installation and DLC management
*Addition of the controller battery power indicator
*Improved UI for accessing friends, achievements, messages, and party chat
*Game DVR app to be included in the Xbox OneGuide as an app channel
*Update to the boot progress indicators for system update
*Improve consistency of UX for update & install progress
*Separate game, application, and install queue lists
*Addition of USB keyboard support
*Stability and performance update
*Improved NAT detection
*Network Troubleshooter improvements
*Blu-ray quality improvements
*Significant performance and stability improvements
Another significant update is coming out in March in time for the release of Titanfall.

None

Post by None »

Sigma wrote:I dunno if anyone here has an Xbox One, but a system update is just starting to roll out for it: -

Here's the changes: -
*Update to My Game & Apps to allow sorting of games and application lists, and separate queue lists for games, applications and installs
*Ability to delete game and application save data
*Improved installation and DLC management
*Addition of the controller battery power indicator
*Improved UI for accessing friends, achievements, messages, and party chat
*Game DVR app to be included in the Xbox OneGuide as an app channel
*Update to the boot progress indicators for system update
*Improve consistency of UX for update & install progress
*Separate game, application, and install queue lists
*Addition of USB keyboard support
*Stability and performance update
*Improved NAT detection
*Network Troubleshooter improvements
*Blu-ray quality improvements
*Significant performance and stability improvements
Another significant update is coming out in March in time for the release of Titanfall.
I finally fired the system up once the Titanfall Beta code came in and was delightful treated to this update. Very smart choices to refine the UI and dashboard, especially the install and download stuff. Although, many of these should have been implemented before launch.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Love my Xbox one. Had some weird problem when I moved it to a different TV where ESPN live feeds did not have sound and Amazon Prime video had no dialog but had background sounds as well as Xbox on command not working but did a factory reset which cured that problem. What was really nice is when I redownloaded everything I did not have to reauthorize all the different apps.

Titan fall is just awesome. One thing I hope for is a color blind mode for final release. Hope MS buys out this studio because this is going to be Halo huge and this is what the next gen is all about.

What is NAT detection?

Also I see movies in the Xbox market place have smartglass shit but if I own a Blu Ray of that movie does it still work with smartglass? I cant seem to figure this one out.

I will post my live name later because I cant remember if it has spaces or not.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Regarding NAT: -

If your NAT type is "Open" or "type 1", then your console can talk to all other consoles on the network (Xbox Live in this case).

If your NAT type is "Moderate" or "type 2", then your console can talk to all other consoles that have Open/type 1 or Moderate/type 2 NAT statuses.

If your NAT type is "Strict" or "type 3", then your console can only talk to consoles on the network with Open/type 1 NAT statuses.

Strict NAT type can also cause other issues, such as being disconnected randomly from games.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I just got a beta version of the March update early through some preview program.

It comes with an update for the controller: -

That adds support for the new headset adapter, which includes 5.1 Dolby Digital support, and it supposedly tightens up the response of the analogue sticks.

The friends list has a much better layout too. Here's a fairly complete list of changes (taken from NeoGAF): -

General changes: -

Option to disable Kinect hand gestures while watching a video
Kinect gesture and voice command tutorials are in the Kinect settings menu
Ability to choose the value by which volume increases or decreases when using the “Xbox, Volume Up” or Xbox, Volume Down” voice commands
--Settings > TV > Troubleshooting > Audio > Volume change
Optical audio is now supported
NOTE – Some users are currently experiencing issues with this feature
"Resume Games Quickly" is no longer in Beta, the Beta label in settings has been removed

Twitch streaming: -

Twitch streaming via an Xbox One will be enabled in this update
The “Xbox, Broadcast” voice command will begin a Twitch streaming session
--NOTE – using this command during the early access period will only start the Twitch app
As before, you will be able to view Twitch streams that are being broadcasted from other systems i.e. PS4, PC, etc.
Chat is now enabled
--Name color and emoticons included
Viewers can send party invites to Broadcasters
--Broadcasters, in turn, can send invites to viewers in the Chat
Ability to broadcast a full-screen view of the game you're playing or use an on-screen viewer indicator to keep an eye on how popular your live broadcast is
Ability to archive broadcasts
Ability to set up a notification for when a Favorite begins a broadcast
Earn unique Media Achievements
Xbox LIVE policy moderators will be keeping an eye out for abuse of the Twitch app and have the ability to temporarily or permanently ban players. They can also remove their ability to broadcast over Twitch, without banning them*

Party app: -

Ability to see what games/apps your party members are using if they are not in the same game as you
“Turn Party Chat On” is turned on by default
Option to send someone a Party invite, Game invite, or Party & Game invite
Option to invite Party to Game

Friends app: -

On the Dashboard, the Friends App will cycle through the number of friends, favorites, and broadcasters who are currently online
Friends are listed by whoever is currently online
People who are listed as Favorites will show up first and will have a star on the top right side of their gamerpic
An icon in the upper corner of someone's name within your followers list will show you if you are following them back yet or not. If the icon appears then you are following them back
Ability to see Recent Players
Find Someone is on the top level page
New Menu button options
--Send message
--Invite to Party
--Compare games
--Find someone
--People I’ve blocked
New Profile page options allow you to send game and party invites

Controller update: -

This is a firmware patch that will allow the Xbox One Headset Adapter to work with your Xbox One Controller
--NOTE – If you already have an Xbox One Headset Adapter, install this update so that you can use it with your compatible headset
A micro-USB cable is needed in order to install this update
To update your Xbox One Controller go to Settings > System > Update controller > Follow instructions > Connect headset adapter > profit??? > Enjoy in-game audio & chat with friends and loved ones

They're certainly on the ball when it comes to these updates!

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

I got the beta invite but have not used my Xbox one for a couple of days. I am very happy about the volume up as that was the one pan in the ass saying volume up like 10 times and feeling like an asshole.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

I am not sure if I have the update or not. Is there an easy way to tell?

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Go to Settings - System - Console info and look under OS version. If it doesn't say 6.2.10694.0 then you don't have it.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Thanks. I do have it installed. I did not reread you post to see how to change the xbox volume up command and looked for it in the wrong place. I guess I really have not notice all that much different from last week. I never got a message that it updated or the plug in controller message guess when I charged it last it must have done so automatically.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

To update the firmware of the controller, you have to plug it in with a USB cable then go to Settings - System - Update Controller. It doesn't happen automatically AFAIK.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Thanks again. Will do that tonight or tomorrow.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Waiting for that wwe app tho. My 360 cant handle streaming.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

I got some Project Spark Beta invites if anyone wants one

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

ThaJim2 wrote:I got some Project Spark Beta invites if anyone wants one
I'm not even sure how it works, but can I play other people's creations, or is the beta solely for people who want to create? If it's the former and not the later, I'd love an invite please.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

^Not sure I have not had a chance to play it yet. But sent you an invite in a PM

Have 3 more codes if anyone else wants one.

None

Post by None »

ThaJim2 wrote:^Not sure I have not had a chance to play it yet. But sent you an invite in a PM

Have 3 more codes if anyone else wants one.
I will take one if you wouldn't mind shooting one my way.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

^Check your PM None just sent it to you.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Another new Xbox One dashboard update is coming: -
Game and app saves and updates. A game save progress bar will show you the status of your game saves. You will also be able to easily tell what games and apps are being updated or have been updated recently.

Friends improvements. Notifications will be added to see when favorites and friends sign in to Xbox Live. This actually was one of the most frequently requested features from the first preview wave and we made it a priority to include it in the April update. Also, friends who are in multiplayer will be identified in the friends list. We’ll also add the ability to view friends’ most popular apps.

Blu-ray 50 Hz video output support for content recorded at 50 Hz will resolve video playback issues some Xbox Live members in Europe are experiencing.

Kinect voice and motion improvements will continue to fine tune the quality and reliability of Xbox One commands.

Improved GameDVR video quality through compression algorithm improvements.

Updates to Xbox One device management to address issues controlling TVs, set top boxes, and receivers that our customers have reported.

New audio settings to tune how much volume is lowered when Kinect is used in communications.
It's rolling out to people in the preview program soon, but the above features will be added in stages. The final version of the update will roll out to all users in April.

Re: Xbox One (general info and news thread)

Post by 907 »

Finally broke down and bought one this week. I love that i can run my cable box through it, but when I try to fast forward or rewind shows on my DVR, it shows a still image of where I started from, and there's no bar on the bottom of the screen telling me how many minutes in I am. Anyone know how to remedy this? Because it's kind of a dealbreaker as far as running cable through the thing, I'm not trying to guess when to hit play while forwarding through commercials.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

907 wrote:Finally broke down and bought one this week. I love that i can run my cable box through it, but when I try to fast forward or rewind shows on my DVR, it shows a still image of where I started from, and there's no bar on the bottom of the screen telling me how many minutes in I am. Anyone know how to remedy this? Because it's kind of a dealbreaker as far as running cable through the thing, I'm not trying to guess when to hit play while forwarding through commercials.
What cable box do you have?

None

Post by None »

Phil Spencer took over as head of Xbox today. This is probably the best news for the Xbox One.

Post by 907 »

It's a pace joint. I actually solved the problem through online troubleshooting today, for some reason switching the audio input fixed the problem. Seems like it would be totally unrelated, but it worked.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.