Beat'em Up Genre Revival

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Tired & Broke

Beat'em Up Genre Revival

Post by Tired & Broke »

This year has been lovely for fans of old school beat'em up side scrollers and hack and slash games.
There's been a nice abundance of these games that have already dropped with more to come.

Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds
4-player co-op
XBLA

Sacred Citadel
3-player co-op
XBLA, PSN, PC

D&D: Chronicles Of Mystara
4-player co-op
XBLA, PSN, PC

Charlie Murder
4 player co-op
XBLA

TMNT: Out Of The Shadows
4 player co-op
XBLA, PSN

Dragon's Crown
4-player co-op
PS3, Vita

also

Guardian Heroes is on sale on XBLA for like $2 right now, which is damn steal if you love your beat'em ups.

Also the Scott Pilgrim game received some much needed online Co-op DLC earlier this year.

Combo7

Re: Beat'em Up Genre Revival

Post by Combo7 »

How was Double Dragon Neon?

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

Combo7 wrote:How was Double Dragon Neon?
It got mixed reviews due to the uneven difficulties and lack of online co-op. There were other legitimate gripes but they are escaping me right now.

None

Post by None »

Tired & Broke wrote:
Combo7 wrote:How was Double Dragon Neon?
It got mixed reviews due to the uneven difficulties and lack of online co-op. There were other legitimate gripes but they are escaping me right now.
The fact that it was fucking terrible should be the major one.

Post by 360 »

I've never been nostalgic so I'm no longer into side scrollers. I'm all about the evolution of things so, while i was(and still am, I suppose) a fan of the old school iteration of the hack n slash genre, I much prefer modern ones like Ninja Gaden, Bayonetta, etc.
There's actually one on XBL right now with a duo of practically naked samurai chicks I've been meaning to check out but I haven't seen any praise for it event though I haven't really looked.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

360 wrote: There's actually one on XBL right now with a duo of practically naked samurai chicks I've been meaning to check out but I haven't seen any praise for it event though I haven't really looked.
You got a name for this game, 360?¿

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

i played like an hours worth of DD Neon cause it was free on playstation plus.
that is something i would have fully forgotten about had i not just read it's name
it did suck, tho i'm not much a fan of this genre so couldn't really specify why
moved by duck muscles

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

my childhood was mostly studded with 3D games. so i never played a significant amount of side scrollers. i do fuck with the classics though i.e. Castlevania SOTN, Mega Man x[insert whatever], ... etc.

& i find with those sorts of games, they age better, since they used sprites. 3D top of the line games age like shiet.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Thanks for posting this. Was looking for something to play with the wife and copped that Sacred Citadel game. I've always loved the arcade style side scrollers (Streets of Rage, Final Fight, Golden Axe) and this one lives up to the tradition so far. Button mashing greatness. Also love how it actually saves stats for the 2nd player, and a 2nd or 3rd player can hop in and join a campaign at any level.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Battletoads back, or nah?

PEACE

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

I have definitely proclaimed my love for Rockstar's The Warriors on here, and, while not a side-scroller beat 'em up per se, it is available for download on PS3. If you need that Double Dragon action, you can unlock the Armies of the Night arcade game which is an exact replica of that game.

drobizhek

Post by drobizhek »

Very good thread. I'll try some of these.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

Reggie wrote:I have definitely proclaimed my love for Rockstar's The Warriors on here, and, while not a side-scroller beat 'em up per se, it is available for download on PS3.
heyyo i just d/led this like three weeks ago to laze around and reminisce with on a sunday afternoon
just been plowing through head down knuckle first through the main game. haven't went and done any graf contests or played the arcade game in the hangout, done plenty of push ups and time on the heavy bag and calling rivals peoples faggots tho
moved by duck muscles

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

Reggie wrote:I have definitely proclaimed my love for Rockstar's The Warriors on here, and, while not a side-scroller beat 'em up per se, it is available for download on PS3. If you need that Double Dragon action, you can unlock the Armies of the Night arcade game which is an exact replica of that game.
That Warriors game by R* is a classic. An arcade game beat'em up version of this franchise called Warriors:Street Brawl dropped on XBLA like 4 years ago. It was an average beat'em up with some cheap ass bosses.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

played the warriors on my psp. it was pretty tight. it captured the vibe of the movie quite well. stellar soundtrack
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

NINJA GAIDEN 3 RAZORS EDGE is the best current recent beat em up slasher

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

DRAGONS CROWN looks doooopppeee!!!!

None

Post by None »

darkwingduck wrote:DRAGONS CROWN looks doooopppeee!!!!
Dragon's Crown is very good. Shit ton of fun to play with four people on a couch (possibly less so online as online people are scumbags).

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

That shit is!! some of the best gaming Ive had with my PS3 in a minute. Only flaw I would say is lack of online voice chat, other that top 5 game of the year for me.

Post by 360 »

Tired & Broke wrote:
That shit is!! some of the best gaming Ive had with my PS3 in a minute. Only flaw I would say is lack of online voice chat, other that top 5 game of the year for me.

Shit. I've been checking this game out and it has me interested but I'm not a fan of the side scrolling screen. It's a PSN release, right?

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Nah, full price retail. http://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Crown-Pla ... %27s+crown

Going to get it on a Black Friday sale or something. Been looking for something to play with my brother.