Is purchasing a Chromecast worth it?

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Gregg Popabitch

Is purchasing a Chromecast worth it?

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

TELL ME BITCHES

GUCCI CONDOMS

Re: Is purchasing a Chromecast worth it?

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

wondering the same thing, I want to need this...

SuperFeen

Post by SuperFeen »

if you have an android phone/tablet then for 35 bucks hell yes

they've already figured out how to stream your local files to it so you aren't just stuck with streaming websites.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/07/25/ti ... hromecast/

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Having watched the announcement/demo, for $35 I think it's a really good buy. Even if it just did YouTube and Netflix I think it would be worth it at that price, but the fact it does Pandora, Google Play Music, web content and locally stored files as well makes it a steal if you have a big TV and no other existing means of getting this kind of content on there.

Dwight Strawberry

Post by Dwight Strawberry »

Anyone know if it can airplay XBMC?

Dan

Post by Dan »

Looks amazing. I plan on getting one for everyone that I have to Christmas shop for, as well as one for myself, even though I already have an AppleTV and a Roku.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

If I already have apple tv what will this add?

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

naturalborn103 wrote:If I already have apple tv what will this add?
I don't think it will add anything. It's more for those who want to stream stuff to their tv with minimal involvement.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zappy

Post by zappy »

bought one, love it.

just waiting for that hulu support

jimmy78

Post by jimmy78 »

zappy wrote:bought one, love it.

just waiting for that hulu support
Must be some downsides / glitches / pain points?

Any audio lag? I'll pick one up regardless because of the price. I've got bundles of blueray rips in mkv - i'm suspecting it could struggle with those?

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Anyone got one yet? Myself and Jimmy78 got one each on their way from the States. For $35 I'm not too bothered if it's crap.

Playing locally stored files - does this work well? I have loads of films stored on a NAS drive that I have to connect to a WDTV box with an ethernet cable. A frankly archaic system on some Dark Ages shit. Is there a way of installing that Chromecast extension on Chrome for iPad and streaming them to my TV using the the Chromecast?

Any other nice features/hacks people have found?

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

It seems like Google might be sucking up the big media companies (yet again) with this. They put out an API so devs could create apps, but each one has to be white-listed. They put out an update that broke Koushik Dutta's "AllCast" app. Companies like PlayOn and Bitcasa have submitted apps, but weeks have gone by and they haven't been approved. If this was truly an open device, there would be a bunch of apps for it by now, but Netflix and Hulu are still the only non-Google apps available.
Koushik Dutta wrote:I believe the change was intentional to block some of the developers who were using the API in ways that weren't intended. By limiting access to it, I think they're making sure that they have the maximum flexibility when it comes to dealing with partners with larger media companies.
Jeff Lawrence of PlayOn wrote:There isn't even a peep, a word, a mention, an estimated time, a goal, a target, anything from Google....

jimmy78

Post by jimmy78 »

Sigma wrote:It seems like Google might be sucking up the big media companies (yet again) with this. They put out an API so devs could create apps, but each one has to be white-listed. They put out an update that broke Koushik Dutta's "AllCast" app. Companies like PlayOn and Bitcasa have submitted apps, but weeks have gone by and they haven't been approved. If this was truly an open device, there would be a bunch of apps for it by now, but Netflix and Hulu are still the only non-Google apps available.
Koushik Dutta wrote:I believe the change was intentional to block some of the developers who were using the API in ways that weren't intended. By limiting access to it, I think they're making sure that they have the maximum flexibility when it comes to dealing with partners with larger media companies.
Jeff Lawrence of PlayOn wrote:There isn't even a peep, a word, a mention, an estimated time, a goal, a target, anything from Google....
Be interesting to see how that pans out.

I've just un-boxed mine - about to have a piss about with it now.

Y@k Bollocks

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Had a quick look at my Chromecast on Saturday.

YouTube works well, as does Netflix. Casting a browser screen to the TV was horrible. Really laggy. I thought I might be able to cast sport streams to the TV but that's not going to happen.

And... that's pretty much all it can do.

Until more apps come out, it's a pretty pointless device, especially if you have a Smart TV or a device like a Roku. Returning to it's box for the time being.

zappy

Post by zappy »

eh, if all you do is netflix, hulu plus and youtube (maybe pandora) then it's perfect.

i like it for my projector because it means i dont have to run extra cables, since my projector has a USB slot(to power the chromecast).

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

yeah i bought one just to get sunday ticket on my tv but couldn't get sunday ticket to work on chrome this past weekend so eh,
probably should have tried it out from my phone
local streaming seems to work like shit. choppy/laggy for me. could have been cool
moved by duck muscles

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Last week, we spotted an HBO Go mention on the official Chromecast apps page, only HBO and Google had yet to mention anything official. As of this morning, we no longer need an announcement because both Android and iOS HBO Go apps have been updated with Chromecast support.

We’ve known for some time that HBO has been considering a move into Google’s HDMI dongle space, with private YouTube videos waiting to promote the service surfacing earlier this week. So this latest update isn’t exactly a surprise, but somewhat odd for HBO to have not mentioned something publicly by now. Maybe they were waiting for App Store approval before making it all official.

Either way, it’s there. You can grab the app now from Google Play and get to casting. The Chromecast icon now appears at the top of the app, next to the settings button.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/21/hb ... st-update/

Y@k Bollocks

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

So, there seems to be a few new apps appearing on this. Plex works really well, but I'm still on the look out for something that'll let me watch stuff that's on my WD NAS drive.

Anyone else been delving into them at all?

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

So is this worth buying if I have an iPhone?
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Y@k Bollocks

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Hayzoos wrote:So is this worth buying if I have an iPhone?
Hmm, maybe give it 6 months. At the moment? Nah. Fun to play about with, but still pretty useless. Lots of potential though, especially when VLC comes out.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Yeah, have one but don't use it. VLC would change that though.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Thread reminded me that I have to cancel my netflix.

Y@k Bollocks

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

PopeyeJones wrote:Yeah, have one but don't use it. VLC would change that though.
If VLC comes out, and is good, it'll be worth buying a Chromecast just for that IMO. Plex is really good, but I don't want to have to have my computer turned on while I stream a film.

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

What are the pros and cons of this? I mostly want something portable to stream Netflix, YouTube or whatever to different Tvs but am kind of hesitant to splurge on a Roku.
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

con -- if you've bought/used it you'll be repeatedly asked the same questions about it
pro -- i dunno, i gave mine away
moved by duck muscles

Y@k Bollocks

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

LilLeftBrain wrote:con -- if you've bought/used it you'll be repeatedly asked the same questions about it
pro -- i dunno, i gave mine away
LOL. Yeah, pretty much. I'd just get a Roku. If Chromecasts suddenly get really good then you know it'll be really cheap to get one.

Req

Post by Req »

will get it if VLC comes out. Need sub support.
F.U. MOOLAH

Y@k Bollocks

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Req wrote:will get it if VLC comes out. Need sub support.
Dunno what your set up is, but if you have an iPad an app called Infuse is really good and has great subtitle support. They're apparently working on Chromecast support.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/infuse- ... 30046?mt=8

Hush

Post by Hush »

I bought one to take with me when traveling to relatives' so I can stream movies from the Plex server at home. Came in handy over the holidays to watch a few movies with the family. Otherwise, what you can do with it seems fairly limited.

Dwight Strawberry

Post by Dwight Strawberry »

Can this thing stream anything off your Android phone or tablet? Like if I'm streaming a movie off XBMC on my phone or tablet can it mirror it to the TV?