Xbox One backwards compatibility scam warning

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Sigma

Xbox One backwards compatibility scam warning

Post by Sigma »

There are several variations of this doing the rounds on the Internet. Basically, it's an image or written set of instructions that claims to show you how to enable backwards compatibility on the Xbox One. You have to press a certain combination of buttons on the controller and type something in using the on-screen keyboard. If you do this, your console will not suddenly have backwards compatibility with Xbox 360 games as claimed, but it will be stuck in an infinite boot loop.

MS designed the Xbox One so that every console can be used as a dev kit. It looks like this scam is asking people to enter the code that enables that functionality, then type in a fake developer ID, however, this element of the console is not ready yet, so doing it will effectively brick your machine. The dev kit functionality will be activated some time next year via a system update.

I doubt anyone here would get fooled by this - there doesn't seem to be many folks with next-gen consoles yet anyway - but I thought I'd mention it.

Tired & Broke

Re: Xbox One backwards compatibility scam warning

Post by Tired & Broke »

I salute you my friend

Posts like these are why you are the backbone of ER, and why I will be campaigning for you to get a nomination for Mod Of the Year.

Keep informing the masses homie... :bow:

None

Re: Xbox One backwards compatibility scam warning

Post by None »

Does my duct taping a 360 to my Xbox One also enable me to play 360 games on my Xbone?