Let's Reminisce Over PS1/Saturn/N64 Games

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Tommy Bunz

Let's Reminisce Over PS1/Saturn/N64 Games

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Games that no one talks about anymore but were pretty sweet.

Everyone talks about Mario 64 as the first open world 3D game but Jumping Flash! games did it first.
Fun/goofy platformer that gave me my first feeling of vertigo via a video game, certainly blew my 12 year old mind when it came out.

An updated JF game could be so cool on a more powerful machine.

ChaMerZ

Re: Let's Reminisce Over PS1/Saturn/N64 Games

Post by ChaMerZ »

http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I see your Wave Race and raise you a Jet Moto. The sequels were shit but the first one was so much fun.
This level was awesome

Mcrae was fun too. I played the shit out of the Rally Cross games too.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Wave Race was an amazing experience. Shit felt so realistic and immersive.

Snowboard Kids was one of the best multiplayer games on N64 IMO.

ric

Post by ric »

ff7

nothing more needs to be said for the whole generation in my opinion

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

forsaken!

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

ruraloutfitter

Post by ruraloutfitter »

i remember those Jet Moto games always being available at the local Blockbuster but never cared to check them out for whatever reason.
ric wrote:ff7

nothing more needs to be said for the whole generation in my opinion
that final stage of breeding a gold chocobo with a zeio nut…nothing more gratifying.

OG Metal Gear Solid was just as iconic i'd say.

and Final Fantasy Tactics was just as good as FF7 imo, equally played the hell out of both.

personally i think the PSX reigns supreme when it came to JRPG's, even more so than SNES. All the FF's, Xenogears, Star Ocean 2, Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, Valkyrie Profile, Legend of Mana, Grandia, Suikoden, Lunar, Breath of Fire, etc...

other favorites of mine on PS1:

the best action-platformer of all time.

sleeper from Squaresoft. hardcore, tough and rewarding 3D scroller shooter ala R-Type and Gradius. it also had a dope, thrashing techno soundtrack:

Sega Saturn was worth owning just for:

&

these discs would eventually become nearly impossible to find and would sell for big bucks. some of the best games in that era though.

i preferred Sega Rally Championship to Colin McRae.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

I dont even know how many 100s of hours I spent on golden eye with the homies playing 4 person split screen on a small ass tv

word to jet moto too.

Post by 907 »

Everyone loved Bond, but the sequel, Perfect Dark, got slept on like a motherfucker somehow. Great game, they even had some of the Bond levels on multiplayer. I've actually still got a 64 hooked up in my living room, I play WWF no mercy on it all the damn time, best damn wrestling game ever made still to this day.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Wierdly, I was digging through some old shit this past week and found cartridges of No Mercy and WWF Attitude, and have no recollection of ever buying either.
Perfect Dark was extremely popular when it came out but no one talks about it anymore. The rifle that could see & shoot through walls was the shit.

ruraloutfitter

Post by ruraloutfitter »

WCW/NWO Revenge was another great one but No Mercy was way ahead of it's time.

Perfect Dark was amazing but the multiplayer never stacked up to Goldeneye's. Rare constantly dropped heat, such a legendary developer.

N64 is also responsible for having one of the worst games ever created:

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

hahahaha is that all that game is? flying through rings?

yes forgot about perfect dark! was one of the first memorable ai additions to multiplayer.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

SOTN was the shit. the soundtrack was unmatched, and the art style was just beautiful. man, they don't make them like they used to.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

i just downloaded TOMB RAIDER for my iPhone. Im diggin the whole throwback games too.

ric

Post by ric »

oh yeah tactics! the other great rpg of that generation

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

I forgot the name but the demolition derby game that came out like a month after launch for PS1. Loved that shit and never understood why they did not make another.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

ThaJim2 wrote:I forgot the name but the demolition derby game that came out like a month after launch for PS1. Loved that shit and never understood why they did not make another.

Destruction Derby!
That's more in line with what I intended with this thread. Everyone knows SOTN and FF7, I totally forgot about this game and I loved the shit out of it.
FYI there was actually a bunch of DD games, 3 on the PS1, and the PS2 and N64 got versions as well i believe.
Destruction Derby 2 was the best though.

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

I always wondered why 1080 on N64 never really gained any traction. Used to live the fuck outta that game.
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Post by 907 »

Hayzoos wrote:I always wondered why 1080 on N64 never really gained any traction. Used to live the fuck outta that game.

Because it had dumb fucking controls. If I want to do a 360, or flip, I should be able to use a button and rotate the direction I want by holding it down. 1080 made you do the fucking contra code type shit to do a simple grab and spin.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:I forgot the name but the demolition derby game that came out like a month after launch for PS1. Loved that shit and never understood why they did not make another.

Destruction Derby!
That's more in line with what I intended with this thread. Everyone knows SOTN and FF7, I totally forgot about this game and I loved the shit out of it.
FYI there was actually a bunch of DD games, 3 on the PS1, and the PS2 and N64 got versions as well i believe.
Destruction Derby 2 was the best though.
I am sure I am forgetting it but I don't remember 2. But with 1 me and my buddy acutally bought the cable to play with 2 counsols against each other. Shit was better then wipeout 1

Oh and of course the first Prime Time NFL if I remember the right console with game. That shit was rad and made me go away from EA sports for a while until 99 NCAA which they fucked up so bad

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

How did you guys beat tactics? I remember having to grind in some of the dungeons just to level up and I remember having fun with it at the time, but looking I feel like I must've missed out on something.

I think I played it for 60-70 hours or thereabouts. Right now my sRPG of choice is Disgaea. The first one wasn't that good to me, but the second one was great. I still haven't beat it, but I remember having fun with it on my psp. I'm thinking of getting the third Disgaea for my PS3.

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

ChaMerZ wrote:How did you guys beat tactics? I remember having to grind in some of the dungeons just to level up and I remember having fun with it at the time, but looking I feel like I must've missed out on something.

I think I played it for 60-70 hours or thereabouts. Right now my sRPG of choice is Disgaea. The first one wasn't that good to me, but the second one was great. I still haven't beat it, but I remember having fun with it on my psp. I'm thinking of getting the third Disgaea for my PS3.

tactics was pretty easy to beat, if you put the time into levelling up the right characters. my second play-through i had characters so strong i beat the final boss before he took a turn. kinda anti-climactic, but pretty rad.

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

a kind of related question. does anyone know if ps2 controllers had battery packs in them? i hooked up my ps2 the other day for shits and giggles and neither controller worked. it's been in storage for a few years now. seemed strange that they didn't work, but that was the only thing i could think of. which also seems strange cause they're corded controllers. thoughts?

Post by 907 »

ruraloutfitter wrote:WCW/NWO Revenge was another great one but No Mercy was way ahead of it's time.

Perfect Dark was amazing but the multiplayer never stacked up to Goldeneye's.
Rare constantly dropped heat, such a legendary developer.

N64 is also responsible for having one of the worst games ever created:

:naswtf: How do you mean? It was literally Goldeneye's mp, but with more levels and weapons, plus youcould throw in bots if you wanted.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

jredd109 wrote:a kind of related question. does anyone know if ps2 controllers had battery packs in them? i hooked up my ps2 the other day for shits and giggles and neither controller worked. it's been in storage for a few years now. seemed strange that they didn't work, but that was the only thing i could think of. which also seems strange cause they're corded controllers. thoughts?
No batteries. Seems like there's something wrong with the port. My PS2 is still lurking somewhere in the basement. I'd play it, but a visitor accidentally stepped on it & damaged the laser thereby preventing it from reading discs.

ruraloutfitter

Post by ruraloutfitter »

907 wrote: :naswtf: How do you mean? It was literally Goldeneye's mp, but with more levels and weapons, plus youcould throw in bots if you wanted.
my opinion is probably heavily based on nostalgic value. PD took the 007 engine and improved on everything and added many more options, but it just wasn't as fun for me. Goldeneye was iconic as it was the first console game with killer FPS split-screen multiplayer. plus imo it had better characters (Jaws, Oddjob,) a classic soundtrack, golden gun, proximity mines, bathroom stalls, etc...it was just more memorable for me and i preferred the atmosphere/setting over PD. i played the shit out of PD but i got bored of it relatively quickly. the darkbots was a dope feature though. a similar analogy with GTA where San Andreas had much more variety and a much bigger world than Vice City, though i still much prefer VC for it's feel.

i had the first 2 Destruction Derby games and i remember hating them for whatever reason. i think it's cause i got them a few years after they were released and they aged horribly when compared to later PSX games.

FFT is probably my favorite console game of all time. my only beef was that you were limited to 5 characters in each battle, compared to other SRPG's like Tactics Ogre where you can play 12+. and like what was mentioned above, you could exploit your party and make them massively overpowered (hooking everybody up with dual excaliburs.)

some kid jacked my Disgaea disc so i never was able to finish it.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

ruraloutfitter wrote:
907 wrote:some kid jacked my Disgaea disc so i never was able to finish it.
Lucky you. Disgaea is literally electronic crack. The item world is probably the most ingenious concept for a dungeon that anybody's ever thought of and wanting to maxx out the levels when the cap is at 10,000 is oddly enticing. I sunk so many hours into cursed memories without making any type of progress in terms of the story. I'm so glad I was busy with other stuff at the time or that game would've completely taken over my life.