Nintendo cuts Wii U sales forecast from 9m to 2.8m

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

ChaMerZ

Re: Nintendo cuts Wii U sales forecast from 9m to 2.8m

Post by ChaMerZ »

chapter thrive wrote:the thing about nintendo is that they ALWAYS come with a new idea that everyone appropriates and builds upon
like somebody mentioned, they can AFFORD to take risks (which sometimes pay off (i.e. Wii) and sometimes not (Wii-U)). I'd really like to see what they can come up with next. The only thing in the horizon that looks remotely interesting is that STEAM controller, but I've read a couple of reviews online and nobody seems to be raving about it.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hustler

Post by hustler »

what other innovation can nintendo make though? 3 screens?
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

what ever happened to that Microsoft device that could project game environments into your living room? @Sigma, is that included in the XBOX One?
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hustler

Post by hustler »

-new console in 2015-16 that will focus on their previously trademarked "Vitality Sensor" tech and has a focus on health . . . definitely sounds like this "Fusion" thing as it will NOT require any wearable tech meaning it will probably be new DS-Wii U type system that focuses on the haptic tech

-MK8 confirmed for May

-Nintendo characters licensed out to new partners - not really shocking, Zelda Hyrule Warriors probably the first of many Nintendo IPs being done by random third party companies

-DS games coming to Wii U virtual console!

-apps and games for mobile confirmed - apps coming this yr, games still in development stages

these were all discussed by iwata in an investors conference, they are not as of yet "official announcements." however most of them will be happening soon.
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

Sigma wrote:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:also the whole point of being a hardware dev is that you don't have to compromise on the hardware.
The 3DS hardware is weak compared to a smartphone. The GPU is 8 years old and the screen res is only 400 x 240 (800 x 240 technically, for the 3D rendering).

Being a console hardware dev is all about compromise really, because it's about hitting a certain price point. Maybe you're talking about compromising in a different context though.
What I mean is this: when DS came out most people didn't have smartphones and the touch screen was novel. they pitched it as a "third pillar", not a successor to gameboy. the feature was successful and unique games were designed around it.

making games on a different company's platform is a whole different story. it's not how the company has operated, with around half of their new consoles innovating in terms of interface. when sega developed consoles they were certainly a hardware innovator but not in terms of interface(or am i forgetting?

anyway i'm totally wrong cause i saw this the other day

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-confirms-it- ... 1512052047
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

hustler wrote:-Nintendo characters licensed out to new partners - not really shocking, Zelda Hyrule Warriors probably the first of many Nintendo IPs being done by random third party companies
Nintendo's been doing this for years.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

^only capcom I think. other than that it's second parties.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

I can't blame you for blocking out the memory of that shitty Metroid game made by Team Ninja.

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

Combo7 wrote:I can't blame you for blocking out the memory of that shitty Metroid game made by Team Ninja.
Iwata was referring to venturing outside of gaming with licensing (i.e. Super Mario themed Scrabble, or Pikmin branded gardening tools). I just made those examples up but you get the point.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Word, I was just responding to hustler's comment about "Hyrule Warriors."

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

i think they need to remake the mario bros movie

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Smooth Lou wrote:They have billions of dollars in the bank and it's worth noting that people said the exact same things when the gamecube was doing so poorly. They are never going to make a darker IP. They don't even know what to do with one they already have (aka Metroid). They probably won't come out with a newer console anytime soon because the cost would be tremendous and they are notorious cheapskates.

Re: becoming the third party game maker we all want them to be, it would likely not happen until Miyamoto is dead.

While it would be incredible to see Nintendo do something, ANYTHING to shake things up within their own company, they are all about preserving the status quo which is why they own the oldest IPs that are still producing hit games right now. Wii U has a controller that is a second screen but that is exactly what the 3DS is, what the DS was and what the Game & Watch dual screen handhelds were 30 years ago. They're all about preserving the delicate balance of software and hardware (which is what sets them apart to begin with) and that will likely continue until they start to burn through those cash reserves.

The more likely scenario from my perspective is that they create a new handheld that operates as a console as well. I feel like the Wii U is the first step on that path and they may in fact nail it on the next go around in 3 or 4 years. That way they can merge all their game development teams in one place and just hammer out games to keep up with both iOS/Android AND MS/Sony.

Keep in mind, I don't think that means they will be successful with that strategy, I think that it is simply the most likely path for this company that is fiercely stubborn.
Smooth Lou was on some Nostradamus shit

Hush

Post by Hush »

Any concrete info as to when they will be revealing this thing?

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Tommy Bunz wrote:
Smooth Lou wrote:They have billions of dollars in the bank and it's worth noting that people said the exact same things when the gamecube was doing so poorly. They are never going to make a darker IP. They don't even know what to do with one they already have (aka Metroid). They probably won't come out with a newer console anytime soon because the cost would be tremendous and they are notorious cheapskates.

Re: becoming the third party game maker we all want them to be, it would likely not happen until Miyamoto is dead.

While it would be incredible to see Nintendo do something, ANYTHING to shake things up within their own company, they are all about preserving the status quo which is why they own the oldest IPs that are still producing hit games right now. Wii U has a controller that is a second screen but that is exactly what the 3DS is, what the DS was and what the Game & Watch dual screen handhelds were 30 years ago. They're all about preserving the delicate balance of software and hardware (which is what sets them apart to begin with) and that will likely continue until they start to burn through those cash reserves.

The more likely scenario from my perspective is that they create a new handheld that operates as a console as well. I feel like the Wii U is the first step on that path and they may in fact nail it on the next go around in 3 or 4 years. That way they can merge all their game development teams in one place and just hammer out games to keep up with both iOS/Android AND MS/Sony.

Keep in mind, I don't think that means they will be successful with that strategy, I think that it is simply the most likely path for this company that is fiercely stubborn.
Smooth Lou was on some Nostradamus shit
doesn't he work in games? nintendo probably hired him after this post
1. Nas
2. Drake

Hush

Post by Hush »

Broke out my Wii U recently and soft-modded it. Some things I've been doing with it:

Playing GameCube games including Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 (the greatest golf video game ever made)

Emulating NES, SNES and others

Installing and playing retail Wii U games from a USB flash drive so I don't have to switch discs (revisiting Super Mario Maker since it is only available on Wii U)

The cool thing is all of the above can be played on the gamepad

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

RIP wii U. GOAT good-system to poor marketing ratio. sm4sh/mario kart/splatoon/mario maker >>>>>>>>>>>
1. Nas
2. Drake

Post by 907 »

I got my money's worth out of with BOTW alone.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.