Nintendo cuts Wii U sales forecast from 9m to 2.8m

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Sigma

Nintendo cuts Wii U sales forecast from 9m to 2.8m

Post by Sigma »

That's worldwide sales for the financial year that ends in March. I really don't see what they can do to save it, given that they're already selling it at a per-unit loss.

jredd109

Re: Nintendo cuts Wii-U sales forecast from 9m to 2.8m

Post by jredd109 »

think nintendo is going to follow sega in the console game? for the last few years they've sort of put out a third rate system in terms of raw power, and have marketed it towards family fun rather than hardcore gaming.

can they resurrect their console development or are they on the slow decline?

Hush

Post by Hush »

I think they should stick to handhelds and license their home console properties to Sony and MS (I don't know if this is a realistic proposition).

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

If you look at sales of their consoles, with the exception of the Wii they've been on a slow decline since the NES: -

NES = 62m
SNES = 49m
Nintendo 64 = 33m
Gamecube = 22m
Wii = 100m
Wii U = 4.3m (in 14 months)

Either they need to pull another Wii out of the bag and come up with something that captures the public's attention in a huge away - which I think is highly unlikely - or they need to be a lot more competitive against Sony and MS in terms of power and features.

Tommy Bunz

Re: Nintendo cuts Wii U sales forecast from 9m to 2.8m

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Sad as hell but honestly now I'd rather they'd just become the best multiplatform developer in the world.
One less console would be a good thing.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

They need new leadership badly. They are way to dependent on the old hits and have not really developed shit since where is the next gen Wii Sport U? This game sold them 80 million Wiis and yet no U version. WiiU Fit just came out and looks confusing as fuck as what and how to buy it.

They have let basically everyone come in and steal their thunder. Kinect has the mindshare now for motion controllers. Fitbit is winning the casual exercise market when they should have had a fitbit type unit at least 6 months ago and really should be a 3DS Fit. They need new franchises because Mario alone is no longer a system seller to the general public. I mean shit Pokémon was their last big franchise and that is what 15 years old?

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Sad as hell but honestly now I'd rather they'd just become the best multiplatform developer in the world.
:cheers:

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

Moolah wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:Sad as hell but honestly now I'd rather they'd just become the best multiplatform developer in the world.
:cheers:

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

they should create a new IP. something that's non-canonical as far as Nintendo is concerned. Something that's a bit darker in tone and marketed to a more mature audience. Maybe, that will finally convince hardcore gamers to flock over to the device.

The Wii-U looks phenomenal, but the lack of strong first party titles and third party studios shunning the system, has made it unattractive in my eyes.

As for whether Nintendo can recover ... who knows. Gamers are fickle as fuck. But I must say, with the system being so underpowered, the future is looking pretty grim for them.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

What's one of the biggest things lacking from current gen systems?

Backwards compatibility.

If they made a system that was backwards compatible from say the N64 and prior (include GameCube and Wii too)...then provided online connectivity for it, people (including me) would eat that shit up. And not some bullshit half-assed thing...I want it all available, the real deal, Nintendo-sanctioned. Not these new fancy remixes or whatever, the originals. BUT if you open it up and let people modify things on top of the original versions, it might take it to another level.

Who wouldn't wanna play Blades of Steel online and follow it up with Goldeneye then an 8 man online circuit from the original MarioKart?

This is probably not practical or feasible at all, least of which they'd probably need a new controller (that N64 one was a monstrosity) and they'd probably have to make things all digital (i.e. charge you $5-$10 per game or whatever?) but I feel like most console gamers today relate to Nintendo from their childhood (still have my SNES) so it might be a chance to go out with a bang. I mean the Wii could play GameCube games so why not try and harness everything? I know there's some generic things that are floating around out there but it's not the same.

And you know what? Fuck it, why not involve Sega while they're at it? They could join forces in one last nostalgic orgasm of gaming before their flames are eventually extinguished. Do you know how much shit I would buy and how awesome it would be to relive those games in HD and with online multiplayer attached to it? My head hurts just thinking about what I would get.

Think about it Nintendo...it might be your last chance.

(Total pipe dream...expecting replies to explain why this is stupid and can't/won't ever happen)
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

hustler

Post by hustler »

wiiU was doomed from the start, it launched with no games, barely any marketing, ...just a disaster. its barely more powerful than a xbox 360.

current gen is a lost cause. there's no resurecting the wii U. not even a new smash bros, new zelda, new metroid, new starfox will save it.

they are killing it in handheld market though. they should just focus on that, and then make games for ps4 and xbox 1.

they could take a stab at next gen, and release a new console in like 5 years, just watch what ps4 and xbone do right and do wrong, and develop the system accordingly. nintendo are fucking masters of handheld, so integrate that shit into your console, and like stupidregister said, make all the classics available to download. the company has tons and tons and tons of money, they arnt in danger of going out of business or anything. it would be weird playing zelda on a ps4, but it would be a good weird.
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

Spartan wrote:

bwaaaaahahahaha!

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I think they could do well if they made a proper gaming smartphone. Even in the handheld market, they were selling the 3DS at a loss up until 18 months ago and they cut their forecast for 3DS sales for this financial year from 18 million to 13.5.

As time goes on, phones are going to eat into their handheld business more and more. A handheld was perfect back when phones were just phones, because you had something to occupy your time if you were travelling or whatever, but phones now offer games, web access, and the ability to listen to music and watch movies, so even though a dedicated handheld is a better gaming device, there is the "well, I've got enough here on this phone to keep me entertained" factor, particularly as you're taking your phone with you every time you go out anyway.

I think Sony's approach is the right one: -
Shuhei Yoshida wrote:We’ve totally changed our approach to mobile products like smartphones and tablets.

In the past, we felt like these guys were competition to our portable games, in general – but now, everyone owns these smartphones and tablets.

We’ve totally shifted our way of thinking. Through the companion apps, the official PlayStation app and game dedicated apps. That’s the much broader approach that we’re taking, trying to embrace mobile products.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/yoshida- ... et/0122026

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

^Agree there DS market is just going to continue to shrink. Its going to become kids to young to have a smart phone and the hard core portable gamer market plus Japan. Soon even the kids to young to have a smart phone group is going to end up on 8 inch tablets. Nintendo made a mistake in not making the 2DS a DStablet.

Post by 360 »

Sigma, that's a truly brilliant idea. An idea that could go viral. Start a Facebook group or reach out to nintendo. A gaming smartphone by nintendo. Best idea I've heard in a while.

hustler

Post by hustler »

360 wrote:Sigma, that's a truly brilliant idea. An idea that could go viral. Start a Facebook group or reach out to nintendo. A gaming smartphone by nintendo. Best idea I've heard in a while.
i could see it catching on with the kids.... but anyone over the age of 16 are not gona be down with it unless they are of the hardcore diehard nintendo nerd variety. nintendo is STILL the "kiddy" brand. they arnt cool. chicks are definitely not gona buy it. im a gamer, and i wouldnt buy it and id be embarrassed to be seen with it, and i think most adults feel the same way as me. anyone with a job with any sort of prestige cannot be using a phone such as this. imagine a businessman or a lawyer busts out a fucking 3ds phone, c'mon now.
nintendo would have to completely overhaul their image to compete in the smartphone market. they would have to release something that was really sleek looking, not a hunk of clunky plastic. im not tryna hold a fuckin gameboy up to my ear and shit. a 3ds with phone capabilities is nice, but it aint stepping to the iphones and galaxys of the world. no chance in hell.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I think you're probably right about that. I just Googled for some age stats and according to Wedbush Morgan, 80% of Nintendo DS owners are aged between 8 and 16. But even still, the teen market is pretty huge when it comes to phones and 70% of teens have a smartphone.

Android is free, so if they could make an Android phone that has proper controls on it and also plays Nintendo games, they could be on to a winner.

This is from yesterday: -
Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata has ruled out anything as simple as releasing existing franchises on smartphones.

‘The spread of smart devices does not spell the end of game consoles. It’s not that simple, said Iwata at a news conference reported on by the Wall Street Journal.

‘The key is to figure out a way to use smartphones to make people aware of Nintendo’s games, and encourage them to try out the console version of the games.’

‘It doesn’t mean that we should put Mario on smartphones,’ he added.
I think that's probably a mistake, because it sounds more like they plan to try and use smartphones as a way to advertise. I don't see why someone would download a Nintendo app that shows them videos of upcoming games or whatever, if they're not already interested in them. Maybe they can come up with some other way to do it, but I don't see what that would be. It has to be an app of some sort.

They need to stop being restrictive about "let's play" videos on YouTube too. They don't allow their game footage to be used on those videos, but video games channels are huge. That Pewdiepie twat is the most subscribed channel on YouTube and people buy games because they see him, and others like him, playing them. That's millions and millions of hits per week they are throwing away.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Pewdiepie is horrendous.

zappy

Post by zappy »

ChaMerZ wrote: As for whether Nintendo can recover ... who knows. Gamers are fickle as fuck. But I must say, with the system being so underpowered, the future is looking pretty grim for them.
they're doing fine in teh handheld market.

zappy

Post by zappy »

stupidregister wrote:What's one of the biggest things lacking from current gen systems?

Backwards compatibility.

If they made a system that was backwards compatible from say the N64 and prior (include GameCube and Wii too)...then provided online connectivity for it, people (including me) would eat that shit up. And not some bullshit half-assed thing...I want it all available, the real deal, Nintendo-sanctioned. Not these new fancy remixes or whatever, the originals. BUT if you open it up and let people modify things on top of the original versions, it might take it to another level.

Who wouldn't wanna play Blades of Steel online and follow it up with Goldeneye then an 8 man online circuit from the original MarioKart?

This is probably not practical or feasible at all, least of which they'd probably need a new controller (that N64 one was a monstrosity) and they'd probably have to make things all digital (i.e. charge you $5-$10 per game or whatever?) but I feel like most console gamers today relate to Nintendo from their childhood (still have my SNES) so it might be a chance to go out with a bang. I mean the Wii could play GameCube games so why not try and harness everything? I know there's some generic things that are floating around out there but it's not the same.

And you know what? Fuck it, why not involve Sega while they're at it? They could join forces in one last nostalgic orgasm of gaming before their flames are eventually extinguished. Do you know how much shit I would buy and how awesome it would be to relive those games in HD and with online multiplayer attached to it? My head hurts just thinking about what I would get.

Think about it Nintendo...it might be your last chance.

(Total pipe dream...expecting replies to explain why this is stupid and can't/won't ever happen)
they could just have ports for all the old controllers.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

360 wrote:Sigma, that's a truly brilliant idea. An idea that could go viral. Start a Facebook group or reach out to nintendo. A gaming smartphone by nintendo. Best idea I've heard in a while.

Until battery life improves significantly, I don't see how this could be feasible.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

The 3DS battery only lasts 5 or 6 hours, but I take your point. I think people would put up with slightly lower battery life (when used non-stop for gaming) if the device was a smartphone, compared to a dedicated handheld.

hustler

Post by hustler »

zappy wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote: As for whether Nintendo can recover ... who knows. Gamers are fickle as fuck. But I must say, with the system being so underpowered, the future is looking pretty grim for them.
they're doing fine in teh handheld market.
they have billions of dollars saved up in a vault somewhere from all their past successes. they are in no danger of going bankrupt or out of business. once some better titles come out for the wii U, smash bros, mario cart etc., and the price of the wii U drops, there will be quite a few late adopters. those sales will take a bit of the sting off, but overall the wiiU is going to go down as a monumental failure. in a few years nintendo will release a new console, and its hardware will be more powerful than the ps4 and xbox1, basically they will be releasing a next gen console with no competition. its gona be a hard sell to get people who already have a system (xbone, ps4, steambox) to jump on board, but with nintendo it always comes down to the games. their games sell the systems, thats how its always been. thats one of the main reasons why the wii U has failed. if they come out with a next gen console, and it has great online functionality, and they release a new zelda, an open world gta-style pokemon RPG, a new mario, new kirby, new metroid, and most importantly a shiny new miyamoto IP, they will be well on their way back. and as has been said, they got handheld market on lock..so they are fine there.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Sigma wrote:The 3DS battery only lasts 5 or 6 hours, but I take your point. I think people would put up with slightly lower battery life (when used non-stop for gaming) if the device was a smartphone, compared to a dedicated handheld.
Do you really want the ability to use your phone tied to the battery life of your game console? Users would have to choose between playing their game and having the ability to make and receive calls and texts once they leave their house for the day. It's still a great idea, but I think it'll be a while before that kind of thing is ready for prime time.

As hustler said, Nintendo is sitting on enough cash to weather several consecutive Wii U caliber failures, and they've said publicly that they would close up shop completely before getting out of the console business. They're quirky enough to actually mean it. I doubt we'll ever see their properties licensed out to other consoles.

Also:

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

They have billions of dollars in the bank and it's worth noting that people said the exact same things when the gamecube was doing so poorly. They are never going to make a darker IP. They don't even know what to do with one they already have (aka Metroid). They probably won't come out with a newer console anytime soon because the cost would be tremendous and they are notorious cheapskates.

Re: becoming the third party game maker we all want them to be, it would likely not happen until Miyamoto is dead.

While it would be incredible to see Nintendo do something, ANYTHING to shake things up within their own company, they are all about preserving the status quo which is why they own the oldest IPs that are still producing hit games right now. Wii U has a controller that is a second screen but that is exactly what the 3DS is, what the DS was and what the Game & Watch dual screen handhelds were 30 years ago. They're all about preserving the delicate balance of software and hardware (which is what sets them apart to begin with) and that will likely continue until they start to burn through those cash reserves.

The more likely scenario from my perspective is that they create a new handheld that operates as a console as well. I feel like the Wii U is the first step on that path and they may in fact nail it on the next go around in 3 or 4 years. That way they can merge all their game development teams in one place and just hammer out games to keep up with both iOS/Android AND MS/Sony.

Keep in mind, I don't think that means they will be successful with that strategy, I think that it is simply the most likely path for this company that is fiercely stubborn.

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

the thing about nintendo is that they ALWAYS come with a new idea that everyone appropriates and builds upon

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

i like nintendo's games a lot but i'm not going around with a game/phone hybrid. it doesn't look slick. also the whole point of being a hardware dev is that you don't have to compromise on the hardware. anyway i can already play n64 games on android.

i played my roomate's wii u when it came out, & then again when new mario bros dropped. never had occasion to play it since. so i think lack of games caused the failure.

predicted that 3DS would fail because of phone games but it seems that hasn't happened. tablets have gotten bigger since then so there's no guarantee, but it seems like portables are viable for the time being. smooth lou's idea of portable+console is next level. not much different from what the wii U controller does so it doesn't seem too out there.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

hustler

Post by hustler »

Nintendo really fuckin pisses me off.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:also the whole point of being a hardware dev is that you don't have to compromise on the hardware.
The 3DS hardware is weak compared to a smartphone. The GPU is 8 years old and the screen res is only 400 x 240 (800 x 240 technically, for the 3D rendering).

Being a console hardware dev is all about compromise really, because it's about hitting a certain price point. Maybe you're talking about compromising in a different context though.
Combo 7 wrote:Do you really want the ability to use your phone tied to the battery life of your game console? Users would have to choose between playing their game and having the ability to make and receive calls and texts once they leave their house for the day.
I don't see that as a big deal. A lot of smartphone users play games on their phones as it is.