A discussion about this forum section

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Sigma

A discussion about this forum section

Post by Sigma »

There's not a lot of action in here really, so.....

1. Should this section just be for video game stuff, or should it be for other tech stuff too? At the moment it seems kinda unclear (to me anyway), even though I've posted non-gaming stuff in here sometimes. Once I started a thread in here about something related to tech and another mod moved it to Funky Techs, but to me, Funky Techs should just be a place to post if you need help with a piece of tech, not to discuss it generally.

2. What sort of things do you like reading in here? What would you like to see more (or less) of?

One thing I thought of doing is having a pinned thread for upcoming games, which lists games that are due out in the next X number of months (maybe 3 months) for each platform, and clicking on the name of a game would take you to the discussion thread about it (assuming one exists). Is that something people would find useful?

Post your thoughts.

jredd109

Re: A discussion about this forum section

Post by jredd109 »

i check this thread regularly. unfortunately, i don't have the time or disposable income to play vids much these days, so i don't contribute much.

although it is pretty slow, i think the section is pretty good. the new game idea might help get some more action going on.

Dan

Post by Dan »

I have no interest in video games, but I check this forum because I like reading about phones, apps, streaming media devices, and web related things. Technically, those should all be in Funky Technicians, but the 2 forums are so closely related and a lot of those topics get posted in here as well.
I think it's time to merge the two or mods should just start moving topics to the appropriate forum.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I never go into the tech forum but like having the electronics discussion in here. Having all the technical discussion in ER would clutter the fuck out of the forum though. Leave all that shit in FT.

The pinned thread for upcoming games would be cool, although its not too hard to find an existing game thread as it is. It surprises me how many games we actually don't talk about on here (for example, I just caved and bought the South Park game, and it's been mentioned once in the Games Playing thread and thats it).

I always mean to do more polls and shit, but haven't really found the time. I personally would like more retro gaming discussion. Nowadays with current gen releases I probably only finish 3-4 games a year, and most of the time I'm playing them after most of the board has already played and discussed them.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

i've always thought FT and ER should merge. The amount of traffic in FT wouldn't clutter up this forum.

Anything and everything related to technology/video games/electronics should be in here imo

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Yeah there isn't enough posts in FT to really clutter this place. If anything, it might compliment this forum more.

Post by 360 »

Merge them for a trial period to see what happens.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Nowadays with current gen releases I probably only finish 3-4 games a year, and most of the time I'm playing them after most of the board has already played and discussed them.
true, i can relate.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

360 wrote:Merge them for a trial period to see what happens.
I believe once its done there is no turning back.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

I did not even know there was FT. So I go with merge them as there are a few tech questions that I would have been able to help with if I knew they existed. You still having problems with your Samsung soundbar? If so on mine you have to change the source. TV Arc for the stuff going though the splitter and HDMI for the cable box going though the soundbar. At least that is how it works on my Samsung soundbar.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

It seems there's 3 choices then: -

1. Leave this section solely for video games and post all tech stuff (phones, tablets etc.) in Funky Techs.

2. Leave Funky Techs just for tech help (questions only) and general threads about new phones, tablets, TVs etc. can go in here.

3. Merge the 2.

Even though there's quite a lot of threads in FT, the number of people using that section has gone down. Only 9 threads were started in there in 2013 and only 2 have been started in there so far this year, so I don't think having tech questions in here would clutter the place up.

I'm cool with any of the above options, but I would like to post more about tech generally and I'm not sure where to do it, so if the sections are not merged, I think we need some clarification on what goes where.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

I think the reason things have slowed down greatly on the video game front is due to 2 main factors. The main core of the Phila community is an older bunch and have less time for video games than most forum posters. The second reason is due to the new generation consoles and there's been a lapse between a lack of new games and many heads haven't jumped on the Xbox One/PS4 wave yet.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Sigma wrote: 1. Leave this section solely for video games and post all tech stuff (phones, tablets etc.) in Funky Techs.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

def merge. this should be an all encompassing tech subforum

Tariq's Dilemma

Post by Tariq's Dilemma »

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:def merge. this should be an all encompassing tech subforum

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

make a poll, sigma. i'm all for the merge.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

oh damn who even knew there were things below ER, dusty down there
haven't even played anything on a console in '14 so rarely travel this far down even
maybe for iphone games and just to scope the general buzz
why not combine, strength in
moved by duck muscles