What system had the best launch library?

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

ThaJim2

What system had the best launch library?

Post by ThaJim2 »

Really is anyone fucking with the Dreamcast on this front?

Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, Power Stone, Hydro Thunder, Marvel vs. Capcom, The House of the Dead 2, and NFL 2K.

Xbox One had a good one with DR3, Forza 5 and Ryse and Titanfall not far from launch window.
N64 had Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings

Interesting that PS1, Dreamcast and Xbox all launched with the then best NFL game but none of them lasted and only 2k even had a chance against Madden.

ChaMerZ

Re: What system had the best launch library?

Post by ChaMerZ »

Playstation 2 had a decent launch library. I believe GTA 3 was a launch title, Max Payne, Tekken Tag, ... etc. I've only actually experienced two console launches and I'd wager most people here have experienced 3 max.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post by 360 »

Tough question to answer. I don't remember what the og xbox's launch catalog was but that and the original nintendo had the launch titles I played the most. Altered Beast from Sega Genesis also comes to memory.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

ChaMerZ wrote:Playstation 2 had a decent launch library. I believe GTA 3 was a launch title, Max Payne, Tekken Tag, ... etc. I've only actually experienced two console launches and I'd wager most people here have experienced 3 max.
GTA 3 and Max Payne where both a year after launch. Max Payne was a Xbox launch title though.

From what I could find it launched with
The EA Sports titles
SSX
Kessen
X Squad
Swing Away
Sim Theme Park
Street Fighter Ex3
Tekken Tag
Summoner
Ready to Rumble
Star Wars Starfighter
Unreal Tournment
Everygrace
Armored Core 2
Eternal Ring
Timesplitters
Fusion GT
Smugglers Run
Midnight Club

and of course Ridge Racer. Why did this stop being a launch title for all new systems? They need to make a PS4/Xbox One version that includes the launch version of all the others then put in a SNES, Genius, NES, Virtual Boy, and 2600 version of the game.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

360 wrote:Tough question to answer. I don't remember what the og xbox's launch catalog was but that and the original nintendo had the launch titles I played the most. Altered Beast from Sega Genesis also comes to memory.
Xbox launch titles

4x4 Evo 2
AirForce Delta Storm
Artic Thunder
Cel Damage
Dark SUmmit
Dead or Alive 3
Fuzion Frenzy
Halo
Mad Dash Racing
EA Sports titles
2 Nascar games
NHL Hitz
NFL Fever
Oddworld
Project Gotham Racing
Shrek
Test drive off road wide open
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2x
Transworld Surf

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Looking at the wikipidia page for launch (I wish the put near launch games too) games

SNES launch is kind of odd. It had 5 games for launch (Japan had 2) but they where classics FZero, Pilotwings, SimCity, Super Mario World, Sim City along with Gradius 3 (could be a classic for all I know but I don't remember this series at all)

PS1 launch was well shitty and yet I bought it at launch. Battle Arena Toshinden was ok at the time but sucked in retrospect. It did quickly get some good titles like Wipeout, Demolition Derby, and NFL Prime

N64 according to Wikipedia had 2 fucking games. Wow.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

quality>quantity. my guess is most launches have 1 or 2 dominant selling games.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:quality>quantity. my guess is most launches have 1 or 2 dominant selling games.
when you scrupulously examine a console's entire library, the launch titles are usually the worst. even the best launch titles are usually unplayable once you're midway through a console's lifespan.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

mario 64..?

in fact for more recent consoles it seems you're right. so many people go nuts for new hardware i guess there's no need to offer anything extra.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

I'd say Genesis was definitely up there because they got smart and piggy backed off the System-16 success they were having in the arcade.