Sunset Overdrive (Xbox One - October 28th)

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Sigma

Sunset Overdrive (Xbox One - October 28th)

Post by Sigma »

This is an open-world single player/online co-op game from Insomniac Games. Here's a gameplay preview with some dev commentary: -

It's kinda like a combination of Dead Rising, Crackdown, Jet Set Radio and Titanfall.

It will take advantage of Azure as well: -
Ted Price wrote:Imagine a game where the experience can constantly change, and is influenced by its community of players. With “Sunset Overdrive” we aspire to redefine “agility” as we listen to feedback players give us while playing the game and then respond with meaningful content - fast. In particular our goal is to maintain an ongoing 2-way dialogue with our community.

Don’t like something? Tell us. Got an idea for something cool in the game? Speak up! We’re building systems to support rapid content updates. I'm talking about pop culturally relevant content like memes and social commentary, new weapons, new characters, and more. And because “Sunset Overdrive” is a stylized, satirical game we’re not limited by some strict idea of what’s “appropriate”.

ThaJim2

Re: Sunset Overdrive (Xbox One - 2014)

Post by ThaJim2 »

Watched the trailer on xbox the other day really looking forward to this. Jet Set was awesome and I love Titanfall (though have not played in couple weeks)

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

They announced 8 player co-op for this today: -

None

Post by None »

I played the defense mode part of the Chaos Squad at E3. It is fun as hell, but there is so much happening, it is sometimes hard to get your barrings. The guns are pretty great even from the small selections of guns they had in the demo. There is a gun that shoots a teddy bear strapped with dynamite, that was delightful. I thought I did terribly in my match, but I finished first place with 6 other dudes and one Insomniac dev. They say always be grinding and getting to high ground and it is vital not only for points, but it is what makes the experience memorable. It takes a second to get used to flying around the map, but once you've got it down, it becomes second nature.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

None wrote:I played the defense mode part of the Chaos Squad at E3. It is fun as hell, but there is so much happening, it is sometimes hard to get your barrings. The guns are pretty great even from the small selections of guns they had in the demo. There is a gun that shoots a teddy bear strapped with dynamite, that was delightful. I thought I did terribly in my match, but I finished first place with 6 other dudes and one Insomniac dev. They say always be grinding and getting to high ground and it is vital not only for points, but it is what makes the experience memorable. It takes a second to get used to flying around the map, but once you've got it down, it becomes second nature.
None, did you notice any framerate issues? From what I can see, this looks like the type of game where even the slightest lag is absolutely unacceptable.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

None

Post by None »

ChaMerZ wrote:
None wrote:I played the defense mode part of the Chaos Squad at E3. It is fun as hell, but there is so much happening, it is sometimes hard to get your barrings. The guns are pretty great even from the small selections of guns they had in the demo. There is a gun that shoots a teddy bear strapped with dynamite, that was delightful. I thought I did terribly in my match, but I finished first place with 6 other dudes and one Insomniac dev. They say always be grinding and getting to high ground and it is vital not only for points, but it is what makes the experience memorable. It takes a second to get used to flying around the map, but once you've got it down, it becomes second nature.
None, did you notice any framerate issues? From what I can see, this looks like the type of game where even the slightest lag is absolutely unacceptable.
It played smooth when I was playing it. The game itself seems to be running well and I expect it from Insomniac at this point for a game like this. Unless something catastrophic happens by its October launch date then the game should run smoothly. The bigger issue might be variable connections patching into the game.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

None wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:
It played smooth when I was playing it. The game itself seems to be running well and I expect it from Insomniac at this point for a game like this. Unless something catastrophic happens by its October launch date then the game should run smoothly. The bigger issue might be variable connections patching into the game.
That's good to hear. Insomniac can't afford to fuck this up.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

None

Post by None »

ChaMerZ wrote:
None wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:
That's good to hear. Insomniac can't afford to fuck this up.
It seems they are passionate about this project and going for it. So, I am very excited for it. Probably the only thing I'll throw into my Xbone by the end of the year.

Sigma

Re: Sunset Overdrive (Xbox One - October 28th)

Post by Sigma »

I was expecting reviews for this to be really mixed, as in one particular preview video posted to YouTube last week the people playing it didn't seem very impressed, however, the reviews have been great: -

Joystiq: 10/10
Polygon: 9/10
IGN: 9/10
Destructoid: 8½/10
Gamespot: 8/10
Eurogamer: 8/10

IGN's review: -

Looks like I'll be pre-downloading this off Live later today ready for tomorrow's launch.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Looks cooler than I originally anticipated. I like that it is 3rd person instead of yet another FPS. I'll probably cop when there is a sale or a used copy at a good price.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Insomniac made it right? While watching the video review by IGN I just got some ratchet & clank dejaVu ..

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Yeah, it's made by Insomniac. That's partly why I waited for reviews as some of their games have been excellent (some of the Ratchet & Clank games for example), while others have been pretty shite (e.g. Fuse).

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Liking it so far but its going to take a few days to get all the controls down pat.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I can't play it until Friday because of shitty UK release dates.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I've been playing this all afternoon. It's great, although the controls take a little getting used to. The weapons are excellent and I love the traversal. I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but the single player is loads of fun.

None

Post by None »

I've been playing the shit out of it. I love it. The style, attitude and presentation do it for me. And god damn is it fun running through city with grinds, wall runs and shit.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Yeah man, I've been finding this really addictive. I've put about 12 hours into it in 2 days, which is a lot for me!

The traversal is really satisfying, especially when you get used to the controls and you can string every move you've got together to get around. I haven't used fast travel at all.

The guns are awesome. I like that they're unrealistic and OTT. The Roman Candle gun that shoots fireworks is one of my favourites, if only because it looks so good when you're using it.

I like the writing too. I wasn't sure if I would as humour in video games often misses the mark with me, but I've actually laughed out loud a few times with this.

There is a lot to unlock too. I was quite surprised how many guns, perks and upgrades there are. I also like that the character customisation is good, as that makes the game feel a little more personal.

Overall, it's a bit like Forza Horizon 2 in that it's taken a bunch of good ideas from other games, tossed in some fresh ideas of its own, and that's made for a really good game! As far as single player campaigns go, it's the best game I've played in quite a while.

None

Post by None »

Sigma wrote:Yeah man, I've been finding this really addictive. I've put about 12 hours into it in 2 days, which is a lot for me!

The traversal is really satisfying, especially when you get used to the controls and you can string every move you've got together to get around. I haven't used fast travel at all.

The guns are awesome. I like that they're unrealistic and OTT. The Roman Candle gun that shoots fireworks is one of my favourites, if only because it looks so good when you're using it.

I like the writing too. I wasn't sure if I would as humour in video games often misses the mark with me, but I've actually laughed out loud a few times with this.

There is a lot to unlock too. I was quite surprised how many guns, perks and upgrades there are. I also like that the character customisation is good, as that makes the game feel a little more personal.

Overall, it's a bit like Forza Horizon 2 in that it's taken a bunch of good ideas from other games, tossed in some fresh ideas of its own, and that's made for a really good game! As far as single player campaigns go, it's the best game I've played in quite a while.
I just finished the game today (played it pretty much constantly since it came out last week). I agree with you on all of that. The writing is pretty great. The fourth wall breaking and meta-commentary is probably going to polarize some, but I loved it once the game gets going (it is maintains that tone well throughout). I used fast travel later in the game when doing side quests that had need me to go throughout the entire fucking city, but outside of time sake, I mainly traveled throughout because it is so fucking fun and fluid (traveling has a great verticality to it).

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

How long did it take you to complete it, and did you have much left to do when you'd finished the main story?

None

Post by None »

Sigma wrote:How long did it take you to complete it, and did you have much left to do when you'd finished the main story?
I did all the side quests as I ran through the main story (and a few challenges). It probably took me around 25-ish hours. Mid-range time for an open-world game (Saints Row 3 and 4 took me the same amount of time (to do a vast majority of the stuff) and less for Second Son, more for Watch Dogs (but that was due to it being a grind to side stuff (and I tapped out way before finishing it all). I pretty much had collectibles left and the challenges.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Finally played and beat this over the past week. So much fucking fun. Traversal in open world games is going to be boring AF after this.
Really hope they make a sequel.
Only complaint really is one of my biggest gaming pet-peeves, you spend hours grinding to earn the best weapons and some of them you don't even unlock by the end or if you do, you only get a small amount of time with them before its over. Give me the best guns earlier, assholes.

Hush

Post by Hush »

I'm pretty sure this was free for Gold members ( :arrow: ) so I probably have it. Might give it a shot to see what it's all about although the marketing for this didn't grab me initially.