Combo7

Bloodborne

Post by Combo7 »

Might as well give it its own thread.

This is a system seller. Jesus.

None

Re: Bloodborne

Post by None »

I am hyped for this. Also, Wild looks crazy.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Hell yes. I feel like the last gen severely lacked in the survival horror department overall.
Even though this looks more action-oriented it still looks pretty creepy.

None

Post by None »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Hell yes. I feel like the last gen severely lacked in the survival horror department overall.
They also revived Until Dark as a new PS4 game. The genre is slowly coming back with the obvious result, a Resident Evil re-make.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Hell yes. I feel like the last gen severely lacked in the survival horror department overall.
Not survival horror at all. It's a spiritual successor to Dark Souls/Demon's Souls.

Post by 360 »

This one is supposed to be an attempt at appealing to a wider audience and wont be "as punishing". That scares me.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Doesn't sound like you need to worry.
Another way in which the player is being encouraged to be more daring is the ‘Regain System’. When you receive damage from your opponents, you have a limited period of time in which to get some of that health back by landing your own attacks. The window is brief and rewards the brave. When you’re low on health, you can choose to attack, and hope to win back some health in the process, or in a more traditional fashion, choose to retreat and use a health item.

It’s an interesting system, and one of the intentions is to make the game feel less punishing, even though the producers reiterated that the overall challenge of the Souls games will remain firmly in places.

But the regain system becomes more beguiling and interesting for the mythology of Bloodborne when you hear Miyazaki’s inimitable thoughts on the subject. And while he wasn’t in attendance, the producer Masaaki Yamagiwa relayed the director’s thoughts on the subject:

“Miyazaki looks at the health gauge not as health. It’s your power of will to go on. And as that goes down you’re plunging into despair but in combat as you get hit. If you think about if you’re in that situation in real life, straight after it happens you can still get your hope back by landing your own attacks. But if you leave it for too long, you’re plunge into more and more despair. When your health reaches zero, that’s complete despair, but until that happens you’re still alive, and you can still go on and get your hope back. And it’s that hope and despair and power of will combined. He just doesn’t see a health gauge and that’s how it’s implemented in Bloodborne.”

Mechanics in the hands of Miyazaki often end up becoming metaphors, and it seems like Bloodborne will be no exception.
A lot more here: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/14/ ... bat-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/13/ ... bloodborne" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

None

Post by None »

Bloodborne is also supposed to be faster paced than Souls games, so that naturally changes the feel of the game. Also, it is not a Souls game so expecting the exact same formula is a bit misguided.

ric

Post by ric »

Looks like it has a lot of potential but if I owned a ps4 (I dont) I'd be worried about the pacing

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Anyone playing this?

None

Post by None »

Combo7 wrote:Anyone playing this?
I gave it a short spin yesterday. It definitely has the feel of the Souls game in terms of mechanics and controls, but the whole vibe is different. Like stated before it came out, the game is much faster paced. You aren't spending all your time blocking hoping for an opening. Rather you'll spend a lot more time dodging, striking and trying to stun enemies for a mortal blow. The atmosphere and art direction is excellent with its Gothic overtones. The sense of dread you get at times in a Souls game is magnified here because of the horrific look to stuff and the fact that any wrong move could lead to a crushing death.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Is this really hard or is the reviewer on IGN just a huge pussy?

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

It's really hard (nh).

None

Post by None »

Yeah, you will get way fucked up often.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Shit, game looks dope as hell but I don't have time for that shit anymore. I don't mind a hard game but the whole rarity of checkpoints thing and the long load times is scaring me off.
A lot of times IGN guys complain about stuff being hard that ends up not being very difficult at all, was hoping that was the case.

None

Post by None »

It is always subjective as skill does come into play, but the type of action RPG From Software is doing now are actually really punishing. Progress is hard won, so if you don't have a lot of time to commit then it might better to skip it. The load times are a bummer, but a patch is coming to help shorten them up.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

yea, i think i'm past the age where i can devote lots of time trying to tame a downright difficult game.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post by 360 »

Not sure what age has to do with it, gentlemen. If you're busy, it doesn't really matter if your 14 or 44.

Anyway,they game requires patience. Charging means death. Mainly like the souls games.

None

Post by None »

360 wrote:Not sure what age has to do with it, gentlemen. If you're busy, it doesn't really matter if your 14 or 44.

Anyway,they game requires patience. Charging means death. Mainly like the souls games.
Exactly except replace shield blocking and defense with dodging.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

this game looks so sweet. I think its safe to say if you like the souls franchise you will love this.

the procedurally generated dungeon sounds like it could be pretty dope

if any game were to make me get a ps4 its this one

Ned Ryerson
Location: with my helmet on you can't tell me i'm not in space.

Post by Ned Ryerson »

this game is so good. it's definitely pretty brutal but i expected it to be harder from all the reviews and word of mouth