Your Thoughts on Motion Control 8 Years Later

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Motion Control?

Love that shit.
5%
Fucking hate it.
52%
Acceptable under the Right Circumstances.
43%

Total votes: 21

Tommy Bunz

Your Thoughts on Motion Control 8 Years Later

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Its almost been 8 years since the first Wii came out. Was pretty much hailed as a revolution in gaming at the time.
How do you feel about it now?

Hayzoos

Re: Your Thoughts on Motion Control 8 Years Later

Post by Hayzoos »

Is rather just not move and press buttons
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I went for "acceptable under the right circumstances". I had a lot of fun with Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort, for example. There have been plenty of shit motion controlled games though, including ones where the motion controls were shoehorned in for the sake of it.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Can't honestly choose "I hate it" after how well Skyward Sword utilized it, but most of the time it's pretty bad.
Last edited by Combo7 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ric

Post by ric »

Hate it. Total waste. The only people who actually want to play like that are writers and they don't even really want to play games like that.

Theoretically interesting idea. Terrible execution. Will go down as the most overhyped shit in the history of all games everywhere ever

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

when its done right, its perfect, but like said, it became a fad quite quickly and ingenuity that can be achieved with it was quickly thrown by the wayside.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I still play Wii Resort regularly when drinking with friends, but I don't even feel like that is gaming. It's just something to do when hanging out.

Mostly I hate motion control. I've recently realized that a lot of the Wii games I own I've never bothered to beat and that's mainly because of my disdain for the controller. Its too much like work.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

in retrospect it shoulda been obvious that budget devs would hop all over this gimmick. paid off for a while i guess.

what's remarkable is how poor the implementation was in many first party games. shaking the control played a minor roll in mario galaxy and a major one in zelda twilight princess, and in both cases was just mapped onto the action for what should have been a button input. compared to pressing a button it was unresponsive, resulting in marred gameplay.

there are a bunch of games that couldn't be done without motion though, eg. wii ware ware, skyward sword. it clearly works in some cases.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

None

Post by None »

Motion controls are fucking terrible. They work well when implemented into a game built for the gimmick, but trying to play a game with actual controls is a nightmare using the fucking dumb Wiimote + Nunchuk. It might be the worst controller in a good long time.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Never forget!

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

this is completely consistent with han's character & should be considered canonical.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

About as canonical as Darth Malek, by my reckoning.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Dear god I've never seen that before. Might even be worse than the Xmas special.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

we've all seen lucas's musical scenes in the remasters. wouldn't be surprised if he personally ok'd this.

for the record dance central is the best functioning kinect game i've played. makes perfect use of the peripheral; works with precision. it's a gimmick party game but it's fun.

good devs know that you build a game from the ground up for a particular controller. when they stick to the script there are very cool results, albeit something that we'd call a gimmick compared to standard console games. the only title i can think of that successfully combines a standard control scheme with movement control is zelda skyward sword.
1. Nas
2. Drake

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

With Dance Central out today I will go with motion capture rules.

drobizhek

Post by drobizhek »

It can suck my dick.

Hush

Post by Hush »

I picked "Acceptable under the Right Circumstances".

The Wii was fun for what it was. Wii Sports and a handful of other games like a couple of the Rabbids titles and Warioware were cool at first but the novelty wore off after only a few months. I was never a fan of the wiimote/nunchuck combo as a controller. Wiimote only in Wii Sports or sideways Wiimote for games like Mario was okay.

I refused to adopt either the first Kinect or PlayStation Move because I was sick of motion controls at that point last gen and it just seemed too gimmicky. I do have Kinect 2 because it came with my One but I've only really used it for the IU controls, which is cool to have. I don't even have the sensor bar hooked up with my Wii U. You can control the menu with a Pro Controller or the Gamepad. Most new Nintendo games don't require pointing. Paired with a couple of Pro Controllers, the Wii U almost feels like a traditional game console.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

my sister acquired a wii, and i've played around with it for a bit, but honestly i wasn't impressed.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

I played the Fantasia beta for a few minutes and it was awesome. Of course its not for all games. MS also dropped the ball in requiring it because there is so much potential to supplement game controls with it. A FPS for example you could use hand signs to single your team where to go and communicate etc that way ease dropping can be a perk. Or racing games where it can track your head movement and change the screen view.

Hush

Post by Hush »

There is headtracking in Forza but I ended up turning it off because it was annoying. You could turn your head to look out the side of the car but you still have to keep your eyes fixed on the TV so it just felt awkward. Not to mention sometimes it would happen accidentally.

Hush

Post by Hush »

If you really want to do Forza right:

ric

Post by ric »

ThaJim2 wrote:A FPS for example you could use hand signs to single your team where to go and communicate
this has some potential. Totally went unused thought too bad