game reminisce thread

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

have games actually gotten better through the years?

Hell yeah
35%
About the same
18%
Shit gets dumber all the time
47%

Total votes: 17

ric

game reminisce thread

Post by ric »

Was playing the new xcom (enemy within) and its sweet of course but it got me to thinking...

I mean in og xcom you had to fucking purchase/make and then carry all your ammo in to a mission. and then when you arrived you we're put in a position where you were basically going to lose most your guys even as you exit the plane and the funny thing you didn't even really know why most of the time just that shit was going down and your dudes were fucking dying

Balzac

Re: game reminisce thread

Post by Balzac »

games are so much better now.

that's why i don't really understand the whole retro gaming scene. aside from nostalgia and hipsterism there is no reason to have an old gaming console hooked up. old graphics suck, game cartridges couldn't hold as much information, the controls were super simple. If you play through a new game like "last of us" it really puts into perspective how far video games have come and how shitty old games are.

your example of xcom is interesting; in the old one there is much more complexity. I think this is due to the fact the new one was designed with consoles in mind, and you can't really have that kind of depth without a keyboard and mouse controller set up.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Balzac wrote: that's why i don't really understand the whole retro gaming scene. aside from nostalgia and hipsterism there is no reason to have an old gaming console hooked up. old graphics suck, game cartridges couldn't hold as much information, the controls were super simple.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Seriously though, if you can't enjoy a classic SNES game like Mario World or Contra III then you have no soul. There's a reason there's been a massive wave of hugely successful independent throwback games, the 2D style games are a tried-and-true formula for fun. Guacamelee and Braid are basically just modern updates of Super Metroid and shit.

That being said, of course games are better now. The amount of great PS3 games I still haven't gotten around to playing yet depresses me.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Saw the video when the Verge linked to it and god I don't miss those days. Of course there was some very good to great games for their time released in the past but come on today its so much better. You got shit like Spec Ops the Line released today or the GTA/RDR games. As much as people bitch about every new (insert sports game) as a rooster update I will take that over broken games like NCAA 97 where I played 11 of the top 15 teams, won a Heisman and broke basically every record you can with Illinois on Varsity and was still not ranked. I mean sure some shit ships broken today but at least they get a fix out.

ric

Post by ric »

@balzac
well i was just reminiscing about how awesome and deep the game was. the og xcom was for ps1 too.

i mean it was like demon souls x 20 because there was really no instructions about what was going on which made every little insignificant thing important and the game creators actually made most things significant in some way anyway and on top of that the game was just made to be super super punishing

but to perfectly honest my vote was 'about the same' because for all the new graphics shit you get the same recycled play mechanics. last of us is fucking amazing but like...im looking back at even ps2 games and thinking....this shit is 10+ years old and still way awesome

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

ThaJim2 wrote:Saw the video when the Verge linked to it and god I don't miss those days. Of course there was some very good to great games for their time released in the past but come on today its so much better. You got shit like Spec Ops the Line released today or the GTA/RDR games. As much as people bitch about every new (insert sports game) as a rooster update I will take that over broken games like NCAA 97 where I played 11 of the top 15 teams, won a Heisman and broke basically every record you can with Illinois on Varsity and was still not ranked. I mean sure some shit ships broken today but at least they get a fix out.

I actually just picked up Spec Ops last week used for $10. Only played a couple hours but its pretty dope

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

^Oh you have seen nothing yet. It honestly might be the first game that truly is art.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Wasn't sure if I was going to play through that or start the Mass Effect trilogy, guess Spec Ops it is then.
(disagree about the games as art thing though, there are plenty of earlier examples)

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Games today are much much better. They're beautiful, brilliant and provide hours and hours of fun.

It's just that I would prefer to play Zelda, Contra or SMB3 over most games today. There is something innocent and original about the games we played growing up on NES. Sup with Ayra in that video tho?

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Games have gotten pretty shitty. It's surprising; given the nature of the medium, the quality of the overall experience should increase linearly with advances in technology, but developers seem to have struggled with translating greater fidelity into a better overall experience. Instead, there's been a shift towards creating "interactive movies," which is the opposite of what I want when I sit down to play a game.

With very few exceptions, it's indie developers, fighting game developers, and Nintendo who are making the kinds of games I'm interested in playing these days.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I think gaming is a lot better now than it ever was. You still have 2D platformers, side scrolling beat 'em ups, shmups and what have you, along with interesting indie games like Papers Please and The Stanley Parable, but you also have amazing modern games like Skyrim, Dark Souls, Portal, MMOs, and sports and action games where every player on a team can be controlled by a real person thanks to online multiplayer.

I think a lot of it is rose-tinted nostalgia, honestly.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

whats with all the nostalgia, I thought memories were for faggots?!?!

anyway of course games have gotten better, but the timeless gems from past consoles will always be prevalent.

ric

Post by ric »

I feel like the new games are so disappointing in part because they could just be so much better then they are and so much more except developers are constantly trying to keep up with the graphics race. Example; it's like please tell me that mgs4 doesn't look good enough right now to where if you chill with the graphics you could just make a game that is better all around. You know what I'm saying?

drobizhek

Post by drobizhek »

I think new indie platformers bring the best of both worlds. Nice graphics, good gameplay and old school difficulty.

Dat Madden tho :ohsh: