Anyone have or thinking of getting a Smart Watch?

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

ThaJim2

Anyone have or thinking of getting a Smart Watch?

Post by ThaJim2 »

With the Apple Watch released today was wondering if anyone had or is getting one. I am honestly trying to figure out the point of this product and really was hoping that Apple would show why you need to get one but their presentation seemed like they have the same question as me.

LilLeftBrain

Re: Anyone have or thinking of getting a Smart Watch?

Post by LilLeftBrain »

nada
moved by duck muscles

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I haven't regularly worn a watch in years. I thought Apple might be the first to come with a really attractive design, but I think it's rather uninspired.

None of the smart watches I've seen so far have sold me on them. I guess I just don't care that much about having to take my phone out of my pocket. If I was big into fitness and exercising I would consider one, but then I'd get one of the band-type watches.

Maybe if I tried one I would change my mind, but I just can't see it.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

The Apple Watch treads a weird line between technical and dressy. It would be amazing for running or cycling, but looks too nice to wear in the rain. On the other hand, if you wore it with smart attire you'd look like an idiot/man child.

Bacon Bra says NO.

ric

Post by ric »

I get the futuristic implications (see cover of time magazine). But they can probablu already make that shit sweeter than it is they are just being douches about capitalism fuck that shit.

Also I don't wear a watch this shit would need to be amazingly sweet for me to strap something to my fucking arm

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:The Apple Watch treads a weird line between technical and dressy. It would be amazing for running or cycling, but looks too nice to wear in the rain. On the other hand, if you wore it with smart attire you'd look like an idiot/man child.

Bacon Bra says NO.
Yeah that is the other big problem I have with these smart watches. They try to do dressy watch instead of functional watch. They are never going to be a dressy watch no matter how much rose gold you put on them. The electronics in them will be outdated easily every year or 2 for at least a decade until batteries improve enough and then its still a 2 inch screen. No one is every going to hand this down to their grand child. No one that you would want to impress by having a nice watch is going to be impressed by a smart watch.

But they don't seem as good as the functional type watches like G Shocks. I cant go out in the woods for a weekend with it because it will be dead by night fall. Everything I have read about the Optical HRM is that its worse then not having a HRM at all because they are that far off with their accuracy. Read a review where it was saying dude was dead in the middle of his work out. I honestly don't see anything they do better then a much cheaper fitbit. I guess the idea of the watch vibrating to give you GPS directions is neat but honestly when I am walking I have headphones hooked up to my phone (which you need for this functionality anyways) that can give me an alert when I need to turn. I would not want to read email on these but text ok but I usually would be texting back so need to pull out the phone.

I like the idea of using it to pay for shit in theory but in reality it does not have a fingerprint reader so no chance in hell I would ever put my bank shit on that. I can pull out my phone to tap and pay for that extra 3 seconds of my life each time to have at least a bit of piece of mind about security.

I keep reading the tech press articles about how great they are going to be and again they are all mumbo jumbo talking themselves into type pieces. No one has any idea what the killer app is. They keep vaguely trying to claim people said the same shit with the Ipad launch which just is not true. Even the biggest criticism at the time was its just an giant Ipod Touch and if that is all the Ipad was it still had a purpose as a big Ipod Touch. And this also is kind of the point. The trend in phones is larger screens not smaller screens. No one is building a flagship phone at even 4.25 inches anymore.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

The Moto 360 was a disappointment. The CPU inside it is something like 4 years old, which not only makes it pretty poor in terms of processing power, it's also crap when it comes to power consumption/management too. I don't like that the screen isn't round either. The watch is round, but the bottom slice of the screen is cut off as they had to put electronics in that spot to keep the bezel thin.

I think the Android Wear UI looks slicker than the Apple Watch's, although I still have no interest in either. Here's a few comparison shots with the Apple Watch UI on the left. The Android UI shots are from the Moto 360, hence the slice missing at the bottom: -

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

God that apple interface is ugly.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

ThaJim2 wrote:
Y@k Bollocks wrote:The Apple Watch treads a weird line between technical and dressy. It would be amazing for running or cycling, but looks too nice to wear in the rain. On the other hand, if you wore it with smart attire you'd look like an idiot/man child.

Bacon Bra says NO.
Yeah that is the other big problem I have with these smart watches. They try to do dressy watch instead of functional watch. They are never going to be a dressy watch no matter how much rose gold you put on them. The electronics in them will be outdated easily every year or 2 for at least a decade until batteries improve enough and then its still a 2 inch screen. No one is every going to hand this down to their grand child. No one that you would want to impress by having a nice watch is going to be impressed by a smart watch.

But they don't seem as good as the functional type watches like G Shocks. I cant go out in the woods for a weekend with it because it will be dead by night fall.
Yeah, exactly. You want something far more rugged. We'll see, but I'm sceptical about how well this will do.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

This one looks interesting: -

It's a regular mechanical watch, but the glass is actually a transparent OLED screen. When you're using it as a normal watch you just look through the screen as you would the glass on a normal watch, but the screen can also display notifications and all the other stuff you'd expect from a smart watch.

What's shown in the video is just a render, not a real watch, but they claim they'll be shipping these in December. You can pre-order one now.