Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (360/PS3/One/PS4/PC)

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Sigma

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (360/PS3/One/PS4/PC)

Post by Sigma »

Anyone else bought this?

I pre-ordered it and I've just had a quick go of it. It seems quite impressive. It's an open-world action RPG. It's kind of a mix of the good bits from other games, with some unique elements. For example, the exploration is a lot like Assassin's Creed. The combat is a bit like the Batman games, with fluid attacks, counters, special moves and executions. There's also a stealth element to the combat, so you can distract enemies, creep up on them and do stealth kills etc.

One interesting thing about this game is something called the "nemesis system". There are a number of enemy generals in the game, along with Orcs and grunts that they command, but each general has missions of their own that they carry out, so they can also gain in strength as the game progresses unless you track them down and kill them. An early example of this was when I came across an Orc general who I tried to kill, except he killed me. After I died, it cut to a screen showing that general levelling up and killing one of his rival Orcs, so it's like there's a power struggle between them and how you play the game affects that. Dying isn't like rewinding time a short distance and trying the exact same thing again, as even your death has consequences. Apparently, later in the game you can use spells and mind control to take control of these generals and turn one against another.

It's currently at 85 on Metacritic out of 43 reviews, so it reviewed well too.

Tommy Bunz

Re: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (360/PS3/One/PS4/PC)

Post by Tommy Bunz »

This is the first game to really make me want to make the jump to the next gen.
Really enjoyed the LOTR games of this genre back in the PS2/Gamecube days.

Hush

Post by Hush »

I am somewhat intrigued by this given the mostly positive feedback. I'll probably wait until I can get it cheap/I actually have time to play it.

P.S. I could give a fuck about LOTR though.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

this looks so fun

its released for ps3 and xbox 360 as well but they are saying to avoid that because a lot of the nemesis system was stripped out. hardware couldn't handle it i guess.

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

I got it for xbox one and have been enjoying the hell out of it. It's just really, really fun to play. I really have very few, if any, complaints about it. I recommend it highly

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I'm about 4 hours into this motherfucker and really enjoying it so far. The fighting is just really solid and the nemesis system is great.
My only complaint is, even though the world is beautiful, you never really get the whole middle earth feel, the camera is drawn in relatively tight to the character so you never really get the scope of your surroundings and the game world is less showy because of its open-world design.
I still have a lot of the world to unlock though.

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

I played a few hours of this from the library. I didn't really make any progress because I spent my entire time tracking down guys who'd killed me early in the game.

One of my buddies wound up with an extra copy, so I'll be jumping back into this when he sends it out. Has anyone played the DLC?