Evolve (PS4/Xbox One/PC - February 2015)

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Sigma

Evolve (PS4/Xbox One/PC - February 2015)

Post by Sigma »

This is an asymmetrical class-based co-op shooter from Turtle Rock Studios, the same team that made Left 4 Dead.

It's 4 Vs. 1, so 1 person plays a monster that can grow and get stronger over time (hence the name I guess), while the other 4 try and track the monster down and kill it.

Here's the trailer from E3: -

There's some gameplay videos on YouTube showing complete matches.

An alpha is launching on the Xbox One tomorrow. You needed to sign up for it, but anyone that's in the Xbox One Preview Program should have received a message via Xbox Live inviting them to download it. You can pre-load it now. I've already downloaded it, so I'll post back with some impressions after I've given it a go tomorrow.

ChaMerZ

Re: Evolve (PS4/Xbox One/PC - February 2015)

Post by ChaMerZ »

Evolve's got one of those premises that are very interesting on paper but are fearfully difficult to implement in a fun sort-of-way ...

I'd be interested in hearing what your experiences have been like

what studio, group made this game?

EDIT:

Just Googled. Turtlerock Studios. Never heard of them. Not sure this bodes well for the game ...
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

They co-developed Left 4 Dead and worked on the Xbox port of Counter-Strike.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

I have an extra code if someone wants it

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I had a go of this, but I didn't like it at all.

I was the assault guy, so I had a gun that's a bit like the arc cannon in Titanfall, a machine gun, arc mines, and a shield that I could activate. Our team spent fucking ages tracking the monster and when we found him, the fight against him just wasn't fun. It all just felt a bit clunky to me and the map was too empty. The enemies you come across while you're tracking the monster are piss easy to kill and there were only 2 or 3 different types.

I was blasting the monster with my arc cannon thing, but it just didn't feel like it had any weight to it as a weapon. Neither did the machine gun. My character was your typical OTT muscle-bound dood, so you want to feel like you're a bit of a bad ass as you've got the biggest and strongest guns on the team, but it didn't feel like that at all.

In all honesty, it felt a bit like playing Left 4 Dead if there was only 1 big enemy to kill, rather than dozens of zombies coming for you. The fact that you got overwhelmed by multiple enemies in L4D is what made it so good. Tracking 1 big fucker that takes 15 minutes to find, then 20 minutes to kill because his power bar is so big just was not much fun. What made it worse is that once we got the monster down to about half power, he just legged it off and we had to start tracking him again.

Graphically it's not impressive and while the audio was good, it started to break up a lot in places and there were clicks/pops that were annoying. I'd put some of that down to it being an alpha, but I doubt that the final version will impress graphically.

Maybe if you play this with friends there might be some fun in it, as you could talk some shit on the mics and teamwork would be better, but I thought it was pretty terrible.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

^Came in to say about the same things but not as well as you just did. Map felt generic and graphics where nothing special especially after seeing Sunset Overdrive (I know different genre but still). Personal complaint it felt slow.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I didn't try playing as the monster. Did you? Apparently there will only be 3 choices of monster in the final game, so even that part could get old quite quickly.

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

ThaJim2 wrote:I have an extra code if someone wants it
I'll take it, if you've still got it. xbox one, right?

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

^sent you a PM with the code.

Played as a human not sure what class said I wanted to be assault but my dude looked and had nothing like what you describe. I had a sniper rifle. 3 monsters for a game like this seems lame.