School me on Japanese RPGs

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Hush

School me on Japanese RPGs

Post by Hush »

The last one I played was probably Final Fantasy VII on PS1.

Any recommendations for someone who hasn't played an RPG since '97?

I think I would prefer turned based combat rather than real time/action combat.

Also, I've been thinking about grabbing a Vita to play SOTN and other PS1 classics, how is the RPG selection on there?

None

Re: School me on Japanese RPGs

Post by None »

I suppose it depends on what systems you have. The Vita can play all the PSOne classics, PSP games on the network (and obviously Vita games), which you can browse through and give a look online. It sounds like you've missed quite a bit. So I recommend the Persona series, but highly suggest picking up Persona 4 Golden (and Persona 3 Portable for PSP). It has become my favorite JRPG series period and has great combat, characters and story.

Obviously picking up Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Vagrant Story and the Final Fantasies you missed is a must. Final Fantasy Tactics is incredible, but more Strategy RPG than straight JRPG.

There is a decent selection on there (mainly the hits for PSOne stuff). Anything really obscure is not there. Sadly Valkyrie Profile (any of them PSOne or PSP) is not out for Vita, which is a bummer.

Hush

Post by Hush »

What about the SNES? I have a complete set of North American roms on my Wii so could play Chrono Trigger, etc. on there.

Persona 4 Golden looks cool. I wonder if it would be worth picking up one of these to play it on since I don't do much mobile gaming:

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-TV-vi ... station+tv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

None

Post by None »

Hush wrote:What about the SNES? I have a complete set of North American roms on my Wii so could play Chrono Trigger, etc. on there.

Persona 4 Golden looks cool. I wonder if it would be worth picking up one of these to play it on since I don't do much mobile gaming:

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-TV-vi ... station+tv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I haven't fucked with PS TV since I have a Vita, but I'd check out the compatibility list before diving into it.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Not sure if SRPGs are to your liking. Most of them (the good ones) are covered under the 'Japanese' umbrella.

None, already mentioned FF Tactics. However, he did not mention Disgaea, which is also representative of what the genre offers.

Disgaea 1 was ho-hum to me, but Disgaea 2 will forever be my favorite RPG. I haven't tried 3 or 4 (if it's out), but I remember really enjoying that game and have fond memories of it. Sunk a lot of hours into it. Whoever thought of the 'item world' concept is a certified genius. It turned the game into str8 CRACK!
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

None

Post by None »

ChaMerZ wrote:Not sure if SRPGs are to your liking. Most of them (the good ones) are covered under the 'Japanese' umbrella.

None, already mentioned FF Tactics. However, he did not mention Disgaea, which is also representative of what the genre offers.

Disgaea 1 was ho-hum to me, but Disgaea 2 will forever be my favorite RPG. I haven't tried 3 or 4 (if it's out), but I remember really enjoying that game and have fond memories of it. Sunk a lot of hours into it. Whoever thought of the 'item world' concept is a certified genius. It turned the game into str8 CRACK!
I loved Disgaea 1, but didn't get deep into SRPGs because it is a whole other beast entirely. Having played nearly the entirety of the Disgaea series (most of it for review at this point), the series has run its course for me. So has NIS America's brand of JRPG, which I dug a lot in high school, but now is just thickly Japanese yet lacking any substance in gameplay.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

None wrote:Persona 4 Golden (and Persona 3 Portable for PSP). It has become my favorite JRPG series period and has great combat, characters and story.
I've heard a lot of great things about Persona 4. I'd try it out if it weren't for the fact that it's on the Vita. Bummer.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

None

Post by None »

ChaMerZ wrote:
None wrote:Persona 4 Golden (and Persona 3 Portable for PSP). It has become my favorite JRPG series period and has great combat, characters and story.
I've heard a lot of great things about Persona 4. I'd try it out if it weren't for the fact that it's on the Vita. Bummer.
Actually since Hush mentioned the PS TV, that would be an idea device to invest in (It was like 79.99 on Amazon when I checked a few days ago). It allows you play a good selection of Vita games (mainly stuff with no need for the touch screen), and Persona 4 Golden is one of them. The only thing you'd need to invest in is a Dual Shock 3 or 4, which bumps up the cost a bit (but Black Friday has plenty of controller deals).

If you have a PS3, you can play the PS2 port of Persona 4 since it got released a while ago. It is just Persona 4 Golden adds quite a bit to the game.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

None wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:
Actually since Hush mentioned the PS TV, that would be an idea device to invest in (It was like 79.99 on Amazon when I checked a few days ago). It allows you play a good selection of Vita games (mainly stuff with no need for the touch screen), and Persona 4 Golden is one of them. The only thing you'd need to invest in is a Dual Shock 3 or 4, which bumps up the cost a bit (but Black Friday has plenty of controller deals).

If you have a PS3, you can play the PS2 port of Persona 4 since it got released a while ago. It is just Persona 4 Golden adds quite a bit to the game.
Thanks man. Not really knowledgable on the ps tv or the features that it offers, but I will do some research.

None

Post by None »

ChaMerZ wrote:
None wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:

Thanks man. Not really knowledgable on the ps tv or the features that it offers, but I will do some research.
The long and short of it is, it is Sony's version of a Roku/Apple TV. Only it can play Vita games off a Vita memory card or cartridge using a Dualshock 3 or 4. It was originally dubbed the PS VITA TV, but they changed it for the worse by shortening it.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Never played any of the Persona games, but the trailer for the new game is impressive as hell:

zappy

Post by zappy »

one of my favorite RPGs was Baten Kaitos for the gamecube. it has a pretty fun card based combat system, and a good plot and engaging world.

if you emulate, i bet you can find a rom out there somewhere.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

zappy wrote:one of my favorite RPGs was Baten Kaitos for the gamecube. it has a pretty fun card based combat system, and a good plot and engaging world.

if you emulate, i bet you can find a rom out there somewhere.
dude if there was rep i would rep you. baten kaitos is a criminally underrated series.

zappy

Post by zappy »

i never finished origins, and i'm not really sure why.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

I would say the YAKUZA series falls within JP RPG gaming.