Nerdy console or hardware hacks you've done

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Hush

Nerdy console or hardware hacks you've done

Post by Hush »

Back in the day I chipped two PS1s. The first one did the thing where you had to turn it upside down to get the game to read and it eventually failed completely (it was my original PS1 purchased in '96). The second one was a refurb I bought with the intention of chipping right away and I even bought a translucent blue shell for it with matching controller :gyeah:

I modded an original Xbox (when you still needed a modchip) and even installed dip switches that would put it back in "stock" mode so I could still play on Xbox Live (only with legit games that I actually owned). I filled the hard drive with games using the Blockbuster rental pass and ended up selling it to a dude on here (slimebucket/slimebucato).

For a brief moment I messed with burning emulator discs and pirated games on the Dreamcast.

For fun I softmodded another Xbox1, did a hard drive swap and loaded it up with XBMC and a bunch of Disney movies as well as emulators and gave it to my niece.

I flashed a 360 which eventually got banned from Xbox Live I think because of a faulty "stealth" patch for one of the games I pirated (remember that?). It eventually red ringed anyway.

I also chipped my Wii before the softmods were available and then eventually softmodded it as well for the homebrew. I more recently modded the Wii U as well, but only the virtual Wii portion and not the Wii U itself as I don't think it has been fully hacked yet.

I would probably mod my PS3 at this point but I think the firmware is too new, although I haven't looked into it recently. Probably won't fuck with the Xbox One for the time being.

Not gaming related but most recently I turned a Pogoplug into an Airplay/Sqeezebox receiver with audio output and wifi using tutorials I found online:

http://blog.qnology.com/2013/03/tutoria ... linux.html

Hacks I missed or never fucked with:

The PS2 flip tops or the internal hard drive loaders.

PS3 jailbreak (as mentioned above)

Xbox 360 JTAG

What were/are some of your favorite mods/hacks?

Sigma

Re: Nerdy console or hardware hacks you've done

Post by Sigma »

I've got nothing that compares with your list.

I modded a couple of Wiis with WiiKeys when they first came out, I flashed a couple of 360s and I soft-modded a PSP Go. That's about it for me.

One thing I always wanted but never got - Years ago in the UK when mobile phones first went mainstream, when the first "pay and go" phones came out you would buy a top up card from a shop, scratch off a strip and enter the code into your phone to add £5, £10 or £20 of credit. One particularly company stored the remaining balance on a chip in the phone itself and someone found a way to modify it so that every time you turned the phone off and back on, the balance would go back to £20. I had no idea how the mod was done (no Internet back then) and buying a pre-hacked phone was too expensive for me.

It's not really hacking/modding, but I used to have a cable box that allowed me to receive every single channel from a particular cable TV company for free. It worked great for a few years before they eventually changed to a new system which is still yet to be cracked.

My favourite, though, was a fruit machine (slots) emptier that I used to know. Some say it was a programming error, but I think it's more likely that a programmer put some dodgy code in there on purpose so he/she could play the machines in pubs and arcades. The machine only had an £8 jackpot, but it was a way to win the £8, then within £2-£3 of play you could win it again and you could do that on and on until the machine was empty and had to be turned off. There have been lots of fruit machine emptiers, but that's the only legitimate one I knew as most people who knew them kept them to themselves.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Saw this today and thought of the thread. crazy. http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/14/75452 ... ystation-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it's a ps4 and xb1 modded together.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

i wanted to play zelda 4swords adventures multiplayer. you need a gameboy for each player, gamecube, plus special connection chords for each gameboy. so i emulated a gamecube emulator and multiple GBA emulators and UDP connected them, then multiscreened. pretty slick imo
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Hush

Post by Hush »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:i wanted to play zelda 4swords adventures multiplayer. you need a gameboy for each player, gamecube, plus special connection chords for each gameboy. so i emulated a gamecube emulator and multiple GBA emulators and UDP connected them, then multiscreened. pretty slick imo
:ohsh:

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:i wanted to play zelda 4swords adventures multiplayer. you need a gameboy for each player, gamecube, plus special connection chords for each gameboy. so i emulated a gamecube emulator and multiple GBA emulators and UDP connected them, then multiscreened. pretty slick imo

How did it handle moments when action is taking place on both the TV and GBA screen?

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

you'd just have to look at the other monitor with the GBA emulator window on it. no technical issues with that.

there's actually a youtube tutorial on how to set this up. i should give credit to that guy.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Sigma wrote: One thing I always wanted but never got - Years ago in the UK when mobile phones first went mainstream, when the first "pay and go" phones came out you would buy a top up card from a shop, scratch off a strip and enter the code into your phone to add £5, £10 or £20 of credit. One particularly company stored the remaining balance on a chip in the phone itself and someone found a way to modify it so that every time you turned the phone off and back on, the balance would go back to £20. I had no idea how the mod was done (no Internet back then) and buying a pre-hacked phone was too expensive for me.
Yes, mate! 'Basher' phones. Never had one, but knew people who did.

If you saw a gangster looking type with a really dated looking handset, you knew it was a basher.

hiphoptruth

Post by hiphoptruth »

Downloaded hella ROMs