3DS vs PSVita in 2015?

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

ChaMerZ

3DS vs PSVita in 2015?

Post by ChaMerZ »

Hi all,

I've been in need of a new handheld for a while and I've decided that I'm going to grab one of these two systems once spring starts in earnest. I'd like to hear what your thoughts are for each one. I've been a Sony fan for the longest, but at the moment I'm sort of leaning towards grabbing a 3DS as it seems to be more supported by developers. However, I've never been a fan of any of the Nintendo games (Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Legend of Zelda) so I don't know if it really makes sense to grab a 3DS.

Also, let's say I do decide to grab a 3DS, should I get the XL? Why or why not?
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

None

Re: 3DS vs PSVita in 2015?

Post by None »

I love the Vita, but unless you're looking to play indies on the go, it is not a great handheld. There are some gems here and there like Persona 4 Golden, Tearaway, Gravity Rush and Freedom Wars, but it is largely a digital based console (so factor in buying a huge memory card).

The 3DS is a great handheld with a wide variety of games. The Nintendo stuff is fantastic, even if you're not into the Mario/Zelda stuff, games like Fire Emblem: Awakening and the upcoming Code Name S.T.E.A.M. are brilliant strategy games. Their digital stuff isn't as compelling as the Vita, but there is some cool stuff on there. Plus, you can also buy older DS games if you want to back track. If you're buying a new console and debating between this and the Vita, just get a New 3DS XL because they are the same price. It is a much faster version of the system, better 3D (face-tracking), and has the C-Stick so for newer games it'll allow you a better way to control the camera.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

None wrote:I love the Vita, but unless you're looking to play indies on the go, it is not a great handheld. There are some gems here and there like Persona 4 Golden, Tearaway, Gravity Rush and Freedom Wars, but it is largely a digital based console (so factor in buying a huge memory card).

The 3DS is a great handheld with a wide variety of games. The Nintendo stuff is fantastic, even if you're not into the Mario/Zelda stuff, games like Fire Emblem: Awakening and the upcoming Code Name S.T.E.A.M. are brilliant strategy games. Their digital stuff isn't as compelling as the Vita, but there is some cool stuff on there. Plus, you can also buy older DS games if you want to back track. If you're buying a new console and debating between this and the Vita, just get a New 3DS XL because they are the same price. It is a much faster version of the system, better 3D (face-tracking), and has the C-Stick so for newer games it'll allow you a better way to control the camera.
Thanks man.

I'm an RPG-head anyways, so even in that aspect I'm better off with a 3DS. I've heard of Fire Emblem: Awakening (due to hype) but haven't heard of Code Name S.T.E.A.M. I'll check it out.

About the backwards compatibility ... how well does it really work. There's a lot of strategy DS games I missed out on that I'd like to purchase (i.e. Disgaea DS) also a lot of sidescrollers (Castlevania).

Also, how easy is it to hack a 3DS? Not that I'm planning on stealing games or anything like that but I'm a developer and naturally I'd be interested in running homebrew applications on my device.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

None

Post by None »

ChaMerZ wrote:
None wrote:I love the Vita, but unless you're looking to play indies on the go, it is not a great handheld. There are some gems here and there like Persona 4 Golden, Tearaway, Gravity Rush and Freedom Wars, but it is largely a digital based console (so factor in buying a huge memory card).

Thanks man.

I'm an RPG-head anyways, so even in that aspect I'm better off with a 3DS. I've heard of Fire Emblem: Awakening (due to hype) but haven't heard of Code Name S.T.E.A.M. I'll check it out.

About the backwards compatibility ... how well does it really work. There's a lot of strategy DS games I missed out on that I'd like to purchase (i.e. Disgaea DS) also a lot of sidescrollers (Castlevania).

Also, how easy is it to hack a 3DS? Not that I'm planning on stealing games or anything like that but I'm a developer and naturally I'd be interested in running homebrew applications on my device.
It is built-in backwards compatibility, you just throw a DS game in there and it'll play without issue. As far as hacking a 3DS, I'm not sure. I know when I hacked my DS I barely got around to playing anything or finishing it, so I didn't bother this time around.

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

The only way I'd lean Vita over 3DS is if PS4 Remote Play holds any appeal. Otherwise, 3DS seems to have more going for it games-wise.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

ChaMerZ wrote:Also, let's say I do decide to grab a 3DS, should I get the XL? Why or why not?
If you're not getting the New 3DS XL, you have the options of: 2DS, 3DS, and 3DS XL. 2DS is cheapest, plays all 3DS and DS games, but doesn't have the clamshell design or 3D capability.

Nearly everyone prefers the XL to the 3DS though. Larger screen, less cramped controls is the main reason. People who have both more often than not say they can't go back to the smaller model after using the XL. A smaller portion prefer the 3D on the original model, but that's rendered a moot point with either the New 3DS XL's tracking or the 2DS (for those who don't care about the 3D or whose eyes can't see it for whatever reason).

I think the internal sound is better on the original 3DS as well. As far as sound it would go 3DS > 3DS XL > 2DS, but as far as everything else goes, it's 3DS XL first in pretty much each category except price. You can get them refurbished for cheap from the Nintendo website and they're basically new from all accounts. Plus their customer service is top notch.
ChaMerZ wrote:Also, how easy is it to hack a 3DS?
Far as I know, only the DS has been really hackable (depending on firmware version). I think there are flashcarts that can hold a single game at a time for the 3DS, most people say it isn't even worth the money though. Patches come out to fix exploits fairly quickly too.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

^^ thanks for the input dude

Guess I'm grabbing an XL.

2DS looks RETARDED. didn't even know it existed. I can't even think of a demographic that that would appeal to.

Now that that's decided, let's talk games. None already told me about Fire Emblem: Awakening, but what are some other keynotes (preferably non-Nintendo) that show off the console's power? I am currently looking at getting the XL with Metal Gear Solid 3DS or Resident Evil Reawakening

zappy

Post by zappy »

3DS is pretty good.

My favorite are still all the old phoenix wright games for regular DS

None

Post by None »

zappy wrote:3DS is pretty good.

My favorite are still all the old phoenix wright games for regular DS
They released the entire Trilogy for Phoenix Wright on the eShop recently with updated art and resolution (a similar version is on iPad). It is pretty damn good and a great way to play those games in one place. Also, the recent 4th entry, Dual Destinies is also very good.

zappy

Post by zappy »

yeah i have dual destinies, dont like it as much as the first four. i dont count the edgeworth game, because it also wasnt very good.

zappy

Post by zappy »

i finished the main cases pretty quick, but completely stalled out on the DLC case.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I've got a 3DS XL. I like it a lot, but I'm not a big fan of the 3D. Supposedly the 3D is a little better with the new version, but it sends my eyes funny and sometimes it doesn't work all that well. I generally have it turned off.

zappy

Post by zappy »

yeah i almost always have it turned off.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

The 2DS is primarily marketed at children. And the 3D takes a while for your eyes to adjust. About six to eight hours or so for me probably. If you want, you can use it with it on for small amounts of time before turning it down or off, until your brain fully makes the switch. I typically have it all the way up now, but it really depends on the game. Some work really well with it and it adds a novel gimmick, with others it doesn't matter or actually makes things worse by slowing down the frame rate or whatever.

zappy

Post by zappy »

i mean it's fine i just kind of prefer 2D most of the time

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

just discovered that splinter cell chaos theory was re-released for the 3DS