Final Fantasy XV

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

None

Final Fantasy XV

Post by None »

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD came out today for PS4/Xbox One. It included a demo code for Final Fantasy XV -Episode Duscae-. The demo is lengthy totaling around 4 hours with a good deal of side quests and a few main quests. The combat is fucking great and it is a bold decision to make such an action-centric RPG a numbered entry for the series. It is also gorgeous, but there are some frame rate hitches occasionally (but it should run steady whenever its released, hopefully).

I recorded a clip of the combat, and of the final showdown. If you plan to play the demo (or they release it in the future), you might want to skip the second video.

Early combat

Behemoth/Summon

Tommy Bunz

Re: Final Fantasy XV

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Was watching video of this on IGN yesterday, looks pretty awesome. Is there no jump button though?
I've always strongly preferred action RPGs to turn-based ones, this will probably be the first FF game since 10 that I even attempt to play.

None

Post by None »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Was watching video of this on IGN yesterday, looks pretty awesome. Is there no jump button though?
I've always strongly preferred action RPGs to turn-based ones, this will probably be the first FF game since 10 that I even attempt to play.
There is a jump button. I just didn't use it much.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

i'm a turn based fan but this doesn't look half bad. i hope they fix the framerate issues. fukkin hate that shyt.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

None

Post by None »

ChaMerZ wrote:i'm a turn based fan but this doesn't look half bad. i hope they fix the framerate issues. fukkin hate that shyt.

Even if it is a holiday 2015 release, the frame rate should stabilize by release. Keep in mind, the frame rate hitched a bit at times, but mainly ran smooth.

I'm a fan of both turn-based and action-RPG, but for this genre to come back to prominence then it needs to change. This and Persona 5 may be able to recapture the PS2 era magic for JRPGs. The demo reminded me of Dragon Age: Inquisition a whole lot, which is high comparison because I loved Inquisition.

ric

Post by ric »

not a fan of the way the combat systems in rpgs have been moving toward 'fluid' combat. obviously game looks awesome but of course you'd expect that. What's gonna make or break this game is probably the level up system and the combat. it looks like you can literally just attract a boss and then Dodge the boss while your bros beat the shit out of it.

None

Post by None »

ric wrote:not a fan of the way the combat systems in rpgs have been moving toward 'fluid' combat. obviously game looks awesome but of course you'd expect that. What's gonna make or break this game is probably the level up system and the combat. it looks like you can literally just attract a boss and then Dodge the boss while your bros beat the shit out of it.
I actually prefer the more fluid combat. It doesn't always work, but when it does it is some of the most addicting stuff around. Turn-based and Active-Time had its golden age, but now we need to move onto something new. Playing this demo, I got flashes of what I loved about Final Fantasy XII with a better combat system, and a more traditional RPG version of Dragon Age: Inquisition. I am not sure how much control you'll have on your party come the final build, but I imagine some form of AI control metrics will allow you more control over what they do and how they behave in battle. I never felt my party did most of the work, but I never felt they hindered. They are useful to pull you out of a tight jam, but they can't handle tougher enemies alone, especially not in a pack. Your character has the ability to parry and counterattack, which is insanely powerful and deal heavy damage to tougher enemies if you time it right.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Sounds like it plays a lot like Kingdom Hearts. Which would be awesome.

None

Post by None »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Sounds like it plays a lot like Kingdom Hearts. Which would be awesome.
It has much of that vibe. If you ever played Crisis Core on the PSP (or the new Type-0 HD), which riffs on the Kingdom Hearts formula (heavy Tetsuya Nomura involvement in all projects) in many ways. XV is a further evolution of both of those games.