Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

ChaMerZ

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Post by ChaMerZ »

New Deus Ex coming out fellas!

Montreal been churning out some grade A games lately (Far Cry 3). More :ohcanada: excellence for you.

Anyways, let's hope they keep the stealth elements intact. That's what made Deus Ex a gem. The trailer seems to emphasize the action / FPS elements, which are not really my forte these days.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

None

Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Post by None »

I saw a 30 minute demo of this. It looks pretty crazy. There is a bigger emphasis on choice with how you play it this time around. You can go down a number of multiple paths during a mission, and choose between going through it like an action game or stealth (it has a no kill run). The boss showdown the demo'd took place entirely through dialogue with outcomes that changed based on your dialogue choices. The new Augs are fucking crazy. Adam can shoot knives from his arm, and charge them to shoot shrapnel at enemies in cover.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

None wrote:I saw a 30 minute demo of this. It looks pretty crazy. There is a bigger emphasis on choice with how you play it this time around. You can go down a number of multiple paths during a mission, and choose between going through it like an action game or stealth (it has a no kill run). The boss showdown the demo'd took place entirely through dialogue with outcomes that changed based on your dialogue choices. The new Augs are fucking crazy. Adam can shoot knives from his arm, and charge them to shoot shrapnel at enemies in cover.
nice! so you actually got to try it out. anything else about the demo that stood out? graphics? etc. i for one would like bigger maps.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

None

Post by None »

ChaMerZ wrote:
None wrote:I saw a 30 minute demo of this. It looks pretty crazy. There is a bigger emphasis on choice with how you play it this time around. You can go down a number of multiple paths during a mission, and choose between going through it like an action game or stealth (it has a no kill run). The boss showdown the demo'd took place entirely through dialogue with outcomes that changed based on your dialogue choices. The new Augs are fucking crazy. Adam can shoot knives from his arm, and charge them to shoot shrapnel at enemies in cover.
nice! so you actually got to try it out. anything else about the demo that stood out? graphics? etc. i for one would like bigger maps.
Nah, it was a hands-off demo with the narrative executive producer guiding it giving details about the world, and one of the dev team driving it. The game ran smooth, I didn't really notice any frame rate hitches or texture pops-in during the run. It is a pretty game with some weird nose modeling choices (they tend to be very square at the edge). I think it will be a much larger world. The maps are bigger because of the various branching paths. You can take a large number of routes to get to your objective, so you can charge in guns and augs blazing, or sneak around the back (or go through vents, your NPC pilot makes an in-joke about spending time in vents when Adam went into it). I'm not the hugest Deus Ex fan, so I may not have the most insight based off my look, but the general game-y stuff of it looks sound. The ability to mix stealth and action more effectively makes my interest in it much higher (since I found the stealth a bit clunky in Human Revolution).

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

None wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:
Nah, it was a hands-off demo with the narrative executive producer guiding it giving details about the world, and one of the dev team driving it. The game ran smooth, I didn't really notice any frame rate hitches or texture pops-in during the run. It is a pretty game with some weird nose modeling choices (they tend to be very square at the edge). I think it will be a much larger world. The maps are bigger because of the various branching paths. You can take a large number of routes to get to your objective, so you can charge in guns and augs blazing, or sneak around the back (or go through vents, your NPC pilot makes an in-joke about spending time in vents when Adam went into it). I'm not the hugest Deus Ex fan, so I may not have the most insight based off my look, but the general game-y stuff of it looks sound. The ability to mix stealth and action more effectively makes my interest in it much higher (since I found the stealth a bit clunky in Human Revolution).
Interesting. Graphics have never been the main selling point of any of the Deus Ex games, so what you are saying about 'noses' looking weird and etc sounds about right. I didn't mind how the stealth worked in the previous game but it would be great if they tightened it up a bit more. Also if they put more effort into the different storylines and give you incentive to actually think deeply about whatever path you are about to embark on it would be great. Human Revolution had a branching storyline as well but it felt a bit shoehorned, and I sort of played the game not giving a rats ass about what I was potentially missing out on by choosing path X over path Y .. etc.

Looking forward to your writeups on gaming illustrated.

None

Post by None »

ChaMerZ wrote:
None wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:
Interesting. Graphics have never been the main selling point of any of the Deus Ex games, so what you are saying about 'noses' looking weird and etc sounds about right. I didn't mind how the stealth worked in the previous game but it would be great if they tightened it up a bit more. Also if they put more effort into the different storylines and give you incentive to actually think deeply about whatever path you are about to embark on it would be great. Human Revolution had a branching storyline as well but it felt a bit shoehorned, and I sort of played the game not giving a rats ass about what I was potentially missing out on by choosing path X over path Y .. etc.

Looking forward to your writeups on gaming illustrated.
Don't get me wrong, the game looks extremely good. It is just an art direction choice that I found distracting, but maybe when you aug yourself, you get bad rhinoplasty. The focus seems to be on narrative and gameplay choice. There will be a good chance what you do and choose actually mattering this time around. And thanks, man. I have one written that should run Monday. I'm working on getting more done over the next few days.