The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (PS4, Xbox One, Windows)

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Sigma

The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (PS4, Xbox One, Windows)

Post by Sigma »

Anyone else picking this up? It releases later today/tomorrow I believe. It's reviewed really well.

Gamespot's review: -

Spartan

Re: The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (PS4, Xbox One, Windows)

Post by Spartan »

Probably will pick this up over the next few days.

None

Post by None »

I'm picking it up tomorrow. Everything I've seen of it in action has been amazing. While I know the console versions are inferior, my desire to spend a good chunk of change on a better graphics card to run it right on the PC is very low.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I fired it up earlier to give it a quick go and ended up playing for nearly 3 hours. I'm loving it so far! It's engrossing and it's fun wandering around the open world discovering new side quests.

I saw a site call it a mix of Dragon Age and Red Dead Redemption and I would agree with that. Also, the moral choices you're presented with in quests aren't always black and white, which is something I like a lot. Sometimes the decisions you make have unexpected outcomes as new info comes to light.

I'm playing on the Xbox One, as for some reason I thought it had co-op when I pre-ordered it (it doesn't - it's single player only). Aside from some stuttering in the opening cut scene it runs well. The PS4 and PC versions should look great.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Sigma wrote:a mix of Dragon Age and Red Dead Redemption
:ohhh:

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

Yeah I've read this game is really massive and I'm still having my full taking on DA: inquisition. It starts to make me wonder tho, does big maps and hours and hours of exploration truly mean a great experience. Sometimes discovering a map for mere trivial quests can be VERY underwhelming.

None

Post by None »

Tired & Broke wrote:Yeah I've read this game is really massive and I'm still having my full taking on DA: inquisition. It starts to make me wonder tho, does big maps and hours and hours of exploration truly mean a great experience. Sometimes discovering a map for mere trivial quests can be VERY underwhelming.
In the Witcher's case. It results in an amazing experience. From what I've done of the side quests, they often have the same feel and intrigue as the main quests except on a more digestible scale.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

i have to cop this. my buddy was raving about it.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

The Gwent card game in The Witcher III is great! They could have made it a stand-alone game and it would have done really well IMO. Maybe they will at a later stage.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

is witcher 3 much different from witcher 2? not sure if i like witcher 2

Hush

Post by Hush »

Neuro wrote:is witcher 3 much different from witcher 2? not sure if i like witcher 2
Everything I've heard seems to indicate that 3 is much more accessible than 2 while still being an engrossing experience. It seems that people that hated 2 really like 3. I don't know if from a story perspective it matters if you haven't played the first two (my guess is it doesn't matter much if at all).

Hush

Post by Hush »

The only thing holding me back from copping this is finding the time to play it.

None

Post by None »

Hush wrote:
Neuro wrote:is witcher 3 much different from witcher 2? not sure if i like witcher 2
Everything I've heard seems to indicate that 3 is much more accessible than 2 while still being an engrossing experience. It seems that people that hated 2 really like 3. I don't know if from a story perspective it matters if you haven't played the first two (my guess is it doesn't matter much if at all).
The story does a good job of hinting and indicating why people matter, and their relationship to Geralt. I haven't played either Witchers before 3 (I have them on my PC, but never had the time), but from what I can tell this is a much more approachable game than the others.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

What's the combat like on the console versions? Found it too fiddly and cumbersome with the previous game, and I'm hoping it's been improved.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

i have had witcher 2 saved from xbox360 games for gold free d/l, i tried it out and its too much going into menus and spin wheels and this and that all while trying to just fight someone, too much bullshit

None

Post by None »

Spartan wrote:What's the combat like on the console versions? Found it too fiddly and cumbersome with the previous game, and I'm hoping it's been improved.
Neuro wrote:i have had witcher 2 saved from xbox360 games for gold free d/l, i tried it out and its too much going into menus and spin wheels and this and that all while trying to just fight someone, too much bullshit
This is much less about menu spinning. You'll need to switch out spells or bombs every now and again, but combat is very streamlined. You potions or health restoring items are tied to the D-Pad, so you can use them at any time during battle. Bombs and spells are tied to the right shoulder buttons making it real easy to use them when needed. Melee is a combination of light and strong attacks with two different dodges to keep away from attackers. You can also block and time blocks to counterattack. All in all, combat feels pretty good. There is enough depth to it without being completely convoluted.

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

just had a soft-spoken best buy nerd try to sell me on the merits of this game, primarily the fact that you get to "mess around with girls"

almost sold.

None

Post by None »

chapter thrive wrote:just had a soft-spoken best buy nerd try to sell me on the merits of this game, primarily the fact that you get to "mess around with girls"

almost sold.

You get to smash (fuck) on a Unicorn.