The Division - XBONE / PS4 / PC

Post by ChewbaccaUncircumcised »

Anyone play the beta this past weekend?

Thoughts, feels?

Planning on getting it on March 8th?

wheels

Re: The Division - XBONE / PS4 / PC

Post by wheels »

I'm in after the open beta. This is as close to socom as we're going to get in 2016

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

yeuh, i think im gonna snag it.

destiny is running thin on the fun factor these days, and i need some new PVE play since crucible is the only thing thats left.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I've got it pre-ordered. I enjoyed playing the beta in a party with friends and a bunch of them are picking it up. The only thing I'm a little concerned about is mission variety and longevity, but hopefully they'll get it right.

ChewbaccaUncircumcised

Yeah I took a break from Destiny, and have had zero desire to pick it up again. I'm pretty pumped for The Division.

If any of you savages are on PS4, my ID is active_toes

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I'm nearly 12 hours into the full game on Xbox One. My character is level 10. I haven't done any of the dark zone stuff, so this is just my thoughts on the main section of the game.....

Graphically it looks great. The loading times aren't that long and you only see loading screens when you first fire up the game or you use fast travel. The servers have been fine, although I heard there were some issues when the game unlocked in the US, but those issues are supposedly sorted now. When you first start playing, you have to create a character, but there's not a lot of variety. It seems silly that you can choose from about 30 chest/neck tattoos, which are mostly (or entirely) covered up by clothing, yet there's not a lot of different faces to choose from for your character. If you're expecting really deep character customisation, you'll be disappointed.

I think this game suffers from the same issues as the Assassin's Creed games, in that there's not a lot of mission variety. It's not as bad as the first AC game in that respect, but there is a lot of repetition. What the game doesn't have, compared to the AC games, is a strong narrative nor lead character, although the latter makes sense as it's an RPG. The missions that aren't a variation of "go here and kill these doods" are spoiled because the game leads you by the hand too much. It'll say "search the area for a key" or whatever, except there's a magnifying glass on the screen showing you exactly where to look.

The loot part of it is fun. You're always acquiring new gear, comparing it to what you've already got, using new gear if it's better, selling it if it's worse etc. Guns can be modded in various ways and there's lots of mods you can find or buy.

As you upgrade your base, you unlock skills and perks. The skills you unlock have mods as well, so there is quite a bit to unlock/upgrade overall. Many of the skills probably aren't much use if you're playing this game single player, but it's designed to be played in co-op really.

I really like the cover system. I like how you can be in cover, look at another cover spot, hold A, and your character will run to that new position, ducking down to avoid fire. The gunplay is decent enough, although if you're low level, many of the enemies are real bullet sponges and you can be emptying clip after clip into certain enemies before they go down. I think a better way to handle that might have been to have either more enemies, or enemies that had better guns or were just better in some other way. While some people explain that away with "it's an RPG!", the setting is realistic as are the weapons (as in, they exist in the real world), but the amount of damage they do is far from realistic and I think that spoils it a little. Grenades seem particularly weak to the point where I rarely bother to throw them.

The enemy AI can be good, but it can be dumb too. It's not bad though. If you lay back behind cover, enemies will try and flank you or throw smoke grenades to flush you out. Sometimes guys will rush you with baseball bats, which seems ridiculous considering you're ducked behind cover with an assault rifle or shotgun.

Some of the AI dialogue is pretty bad. For instance, you might do a mission where you have to help friendly AI agents to defend a certain spot, and you'll hear an AI guy shout "go and loot somewhere else!", which in itself sounds kinda cheesy, but then 5 seconds later another AI guy will shout it as well. The way NPCs react to you in the real world is the same way and the world is sparsely populated.

I could write more, but yeah - it is definitely fun, and if you like games where you're regularly grabbing new loot and guns and upgrading stuff, you'll enjoy it, particularly if you play it in co-op with friends. The gunplay is decent and the cover system is really good. I just wish I could feel a bit more immersed in the world and that there was a bit more variation in missions. Obviously, this is only based on me playing 12 hours of it too, so don't read too much into my negativity.

ChewbaccaUncircumcised

^ all valid points. I've progressed about as far as you, but I have heard that the game tells the story more through the intel you pick up as you move through the game, rather than major cutscenes and other direct storytelling devices. I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far, though.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

The main problem I have with this game is that the level of the enemies is related to the level of the highest character in a squad.

I'm level 13. I joined a couple of friends who are level 4 and we tried to do a mission. The enemies were level 12, so my 2 friends were being downed super fast, while the enemies were sucking up clip after clip of bullets from them. I ended up having to leave the group cos it just wasn't fair on them.

I'm not sure what the solution to that is, but it kinda sucks that I can't play with friends that are several levels lower/higher cos it either makes the game too hard for them or too hard for me.

ChewbaccaUncircumcised

Yeah I agree that's something they need to fix. So far though, their track record for fixing things like that quickly has been pretty good, so I'm optimistic.

wheels

Post by wheels »

The run to 30 is so short though.

Level differences between friends are really a temporary issue. This game's biggest problem is what you do after you gear up

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Here's a farming exploit for those that are still playing: -

Do the medical mission on hard. The one that's right next to the base of operations. When you get to the rooftop where the yellow boss is, run past all of the other enemies and kill the boss while he's still on the roof. Don't get too close to him or he'll jump down. Also, don't kill too many of the other enemies or again, he'll jump down. If you kill him while he's still on the roof, 2 extra yellow bosses will come out of a door underneath where he's standing and if you kill those, you get high end purple or yellow items. Grab the items, then let yourself get killed. You'll respawn at the beginning of the rooftop section and you can do it all again. It takes about 2-3 minutes each cycle, so you can quickly fill your backpack with decent gear.

Now that I've been at level 30 for a while, I'm kinda bored of the game. I don't have super high DPS guns or anything, but all that's left to do is the 2 daily missions, which are just higher difficulty versions of 2 of 4 missions you've already played, and the Dark Zone, which isn't that interesting either IMO. Hopefully the new content they add, both free and paid for, is substantial. I've got over 70 hours of gameplay out of it, so I have no complaints in terms of value for money, but I was hoping that this would be a game I'd been into for several months and I don't think that's going to be the case.

ChewbaccaUncircumcised

I think they're planning on dropping their first big update in April, so we'll see if they add a lot of new PvE content or not.

I'm still having fun with the game, personally.

ChewbaccaUncircumcised

Coming to The Division in April:
Special Report breakdown

Incursions
Story and Background
Falcon Lost will be the first Incursion
It takes place in a Water Treatment Plant and is a LMB Stronghold, because that is not really something that you bomb, when you want to take back New York
Captain Perez reassembles the LMB to keep control and now it is our job to stop the rest of the LMB
Multiple voice-overs and discussions that will be different each time

Tactics:
You won´t be able to camp in Falcon Lost
There will be new enemies: Drones – they will flush you out of cover and need to be shot down
You really need a good group and tactics, will be very difficult with PUGs
It is not only about gear but also a lot about player skills
You need synergy between playstyles
Dedicated roles (heal / CC / support / DPS) help

Matchmaker
Matchmaker is confirmed for Incursions. There is a Gear-Score recommendation for hard-mode and for Challenge Mode, you won´t be matched with players that are below a specific score.

Checkpoints
No checkpoints in Incursions, when you die you have to start over

Weekly lockouts?
No weekly lookout for incursions you can play them as many times as you want.
The first time in the week you will get a very good reward, and after that you will get good rewards

Future Incursions
More Incursions are planed (Columbus Circle is already confirmed for the Conflict update in May)
Future incursions will have different mechanics

Rewards
Best/new gear and weapons than everywhere in the game (also new named weapons)
Gear-Set-items

Difficulty
The Difficulty of the Incursions is very high, because it needs group coordination, tactics and also good gear to beat the Incursion
Incursions have two difficulties
Hard Mode that will require the equivalent of the current level 31 high end gear
Challenge Mode that will require the new gear-sets
The devs could beat the hard mode, so they made it more difficult. The QC players needed days to beat the Challenge Mode Incursion.

Trading
Player can drop items to give it to the other players in the group that were present as you got the item
Restrictions:
Dark Zone you have to go to a Checkpoints to trade the item (safe area)
Dropped loot can be picked up by all players in the group
Items can be dropped and traded multiple times in the 2h window after pickup

New Feature: Assignments
There will be weekly and daily assignments
You can earn Phoenix Credits and Division Tech
Good rewards in general
Example: killing 10 Cleaners

New Dark Zone Activities
Supply Drops
Drop from the sky that happens every hour on different locations and have very good rewards
Only the first group that gets there will get the reward.
Supply Drops are protected by hard enemies
When you get the supply drop, you don´t have to extract them.
In general, they will add new activities in every future update

Dead-Cam
When you die during a group-mission, you can follow other teammates
You can switch between your teammates, look around and help them until you are revived

Gear-Sets
There are 4 gear sets
full set = a powerful new talent
You will also get a setbonus when you have a specific number of set-pieces equipped
Gear sets will have other talents than what we already have
Different gearsets per playstyle
Are more powerful than High-Ends gear pieces – but you have to equip a multiple number of items to get the buff – but gear sets don´t have gear talents
Help a lot in the group synergy when players of the group have different sets
Sentry’s Call
This is the Snipers Gear set
Striker’s Battle Gear
Combat Assault set
Path of the Nomad
Dark Zone / Solo oriented set (very vague)
Technician’s Authority
Support and Tech-Bonus
You can get Gear Sets from:
Incursions
Blueprints that can be bought
Drop in Challenge Mode Missions
Dark Zone

Gear Score
After you reach level 30 you are measured by gear score / now you don´t see player level but the gear score
The gear score is calculated by the gear you are wearing and is based on the quality and item-level
Gear score is also included in matchmaking. Matchmaking will also include the items you have in the inventory.

Player Level Cap
Still 30

Releasedate
April 12th 2016

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

Are destiny and the division going to literally go back and forth with their ideas?

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Here's a useful little glitch/trick when using the recalibration station.

Since the latest update, when recalibrating an item you now spend real money instead of phoenix credits. If you re-roll an attribute on an item and the re-roll sucks, you can do it again, but each time you do, the amount of money it costs you goes up considerably.

If you re-roll an attribute and it sucks, select it and continue until you get the little box pop up telling you to either accept or dismiss the changes, but instead of doing that, press the start/menu button on your controller. That will close you out of recalibrating and it will cost you £x of money, but when you go back in and do another re-roll, the cost won't have gone up, so you can keep re-rolling at the lowest price until you get what you want, rather than the price increasing with each roll.

ChewbaccaUncircumcised

nice

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

The number of exploitable glitches in this game is just too much.

There's a glitch where you can keep boosting the DPS of your gun just by having a gun with a particular talent and very quickly swapping back and forth between that gun and another one. You can get your DPS up over 1,000,000.

There's an exploit on PC to get unlimited crafting materials and credits.

Rogues in the Dark Zone can get into places where they can't be killed, but even worse, someone found a way to glitch into safe houses in the DZ and because you didn't enter legitimately, you can shoot other players that are in there and they can't fire back.

The new incursion has been exploitable since it was released. Massive patched one of the methods, but there's at least two more that are still unpatched. You can destroy the APC on Challenging without taking any damage whatsoever, so there's people who already have full sets of all the new high end gear.

The "double revive" bug has still not been patched. If you revive a team mate, if you keep holding the button after they get up, it'll say on screen that you revived them a second time and if that player gets downed, they'll immediately pop back up without having to be revived. Very annoying when you down a rogue and they pop back up because of this!

Some of the talents have been broken since the game came out. For instance, the Reckless talent is supposed to give you 13% more damage but at the expense of taking 10% more damage yourself, except you actually get 10% extra resistance to damage as well as the 13% damage boost.

It seems that Scavenging is borked and only works up to 2 digits, so for instance, if you have +115% Scavenging it's actually only giving you +15.

The "One is None" perk is causing guns to jam with 1 bullet left in the clip. You can't reload nor fire the last bullet. You have to swap to another weapon and back again. This only started happening after the latest patch.

I don't think I've ever played a big budget game that's as broken as this one.

ChewbaccaUncircumcised

I agree with everything you've said, though I will say that playing on PS4, I have not noticed anywhere near the level of hacking in the DZ that there seems to be on PC.

I am hopeful that they will continue to fix the glitches, and that the player base will not become unsustainable before they do so.

I am still very much enjoying the game playing a few hours a week with a regular group of friends.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

What do your characters look like? Here's mine: -

http://i.imgur.com/C4dN5Eq.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Primary DPS is about 225K.

I want to get a Sentry holster, then I'm either gonna go with Striker chest piece and gloves, or I'll go with a 204 chest piece (not sure of the talent I want yet - Reckless is the best at the moment, but only because it's broken) and try and improve on the Savage gloves I have right now. I also need to get my damage mitigation up to the full 65%, as I'm currently at about 59 I think.

ChewbaccaUncircumcised

I'm looking to get a Striker holster, so I can run 4 pieces of Sentry's Call and two pieces of Striker gear.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Nice. I've also got 4 Sentry pieces now, so I'm also aiming to run with 4 Sentry and 2 Striker eventually.

I love the 4 piece Sentry bonus. You can melt the yellow NPCs with that AUG once you get those three headshots in!

ChewbaccaUncircumcised

Yeah, it melts rogues too :D

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

The next big free update is out a week today.

It will feature the new incursion, new high end gear sets and weapons, as well as the new 200+ DZ bracket.

One change that I'm not too sure about, is that you can cut the rope at an extraction to make any attached loot bags fall to the ground. It means that you will no longer be able to attach your loot bags and then run off, knowing that your loot is secure. You'll have to guard the area until the loot is pulled up into the chopper. Cutting the rope will make a player go rogue.

I think the cutting the rope thing is possibly going to make the DZ suck even more for folks that aren't playing in full groups of 4, and particularly for solo players, but I'll reserve judgement until I've seen exactly how it works.

wheels

Post by wheels »

I'm kind of done with this. I'm on a console, so the hacking doesn't affect me as much, but all those exploits they took forever to fix set up a select few with a massive gear advantage, and since we're all pushed into the DZ for upgrades, those people are able to terrorize people who didn't exploit. Completely unchecked.

Have you ever gone to extract something and had a group of 4 pop Survival Link and rush you? One unkillable DPS machine is bad enough, but these guys tend to group up, which is unnecessary at best but mean at worst. They don't even need to use their ultimate to wipe the floor with me, but they do. And do they ever.

The rope cutting mechanic is going to suck. Those same guys will just pop Survival link, and cut the rope while you dump an SMG clip into their face. Then murder you. Just like people do with the supply drops now.

I paid for a season pass (don't ask me why) so I'll check it out from time to time, but right now there's nowhere for me to go with this game.

ChewbaccaUncircumcised

@wheels I would probably feel the same as you if I didn't have a regular group of people I play with. It's far less common for us to get ganked by highly geared players (who likely exploited the Falcon Lost glitch) while we're in a group of four players. We aren't the best geared, but we aren't pushovers either. I am still enjoying the game, but I am also starving for new content.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

1.2 is going to make a big difference as far as loot goes, because you will no longer even have to go in the DZ if you don't want to. The frequency of loot drops has been increased everywhere, as has the quality of loot drops.

There's new search and destroy missions that take place in the PVE world. Completing those missions earns you tickets, which you can then spend at one of 2 new vendors in the base of operations in order to take on high value target missions, which are kind of like mini-incursions, again, set in the PVE world. You basically tackle waves of enemies and then kill a named boss. The enemies can be up to level 32, so not crazy tough, but the rewards from the high value target missions can be the best gear in the game, including level 240 gear set pieces. There are daily and weekly high value target missions (hence 2 vendors - one for each), and the number of tickets required to run them increases depending on the difficulty, so the toughest weekly mission will require 60 tickets, while the easier daily missions would only require 5.

As the game is right now, the focus is more on crafting and running the incursion to get certain gear set pieces. The vast majority of the stuff you extract from the DZ gets broken down into crafting materials, but trying to obtain crafting materials outside of the DZ is tiresome, as all missions except General Assembly only drop 1 high end item and you only have a 5% chance of getting high end crafting materials when opening boxes (up-converting green/blue materials was nerfed a while ago too). That's all going to change in 1.2. The focus will be much more on loot drops, but both in and out of the DZ.

They've changed where certain loot can drop, so now, you'll have a chance of literally getting any piece of gear anywhere. There will still be a higher chance of obtaining certain items by doing certain tasks, such as running the incursion, but you will no longer be forced to complete certain tasks to have a chance of getting certain items.

They've also changed survivor link, so that if you do any task where there's a progress bar, such as claiming a supply drop, you can be staggered by incoming fire, which means the progress bar starts over. That's going to stop guys from just popping survivor link and standing there taking fire until the progress bar hits 100%.

When you start to cut the rope, you get a 19 second rogue timer. If you successfully cut it, you get a 90 second timer. If the rope is successfully cut, the loot that drops from it drops in a bunch of small piles that are spread out around the area, rather than in 1-4 larger piles. Plus, due to the change in survivor link, you'll be able to stagger someone cutting the rope while using it. If the rope cutter is under constant fire, they will not be able to cut the rope due to the stagger.

There's going to be a stash box at every DZ checkpoint, so you won't have to keep going back to the base of operations in order to clear out your stash if you're doing a lengthy farming session. The new 201+ DZ bracket gives frequent drops of some of the best gear in the game, and division tech boxes will always give yellow division tech. There's new sealed caches that can be dropped by NPCs. You won't know what's in them until you extract and open them, but again, they can contain the best gear in the game.

The armour mitigation is going up to 75% from 65%, which will make a noticeable difference to how long you can last under fire.

The new incursion will not have a challenging mode when the patch is launched, so only hard mode will be available. The recommended minimum gear score for that is 160, so no higher than the current incursion. My guess is they want to see if anyone finds a way to cheese the new incursion before they put the challenging difficulty out, cos that way it would stop people getting the best rewards repeatedly, which is what happened with Falcon Lost.

All in all, I think 1.2 looks pretty great. Oh yeah - the new search and destroy missions will only be available in districts where you've cleared all of the missions, side missions and encounters, so if you haven't done that already, you'll want to work on that ready for next week.

I'd have liked to have seen some weapon balancing, but they've already said that they're going to start collecting data on that once 1.2 is out and weapons will be balanced in future patches. Also, it's a shame they're not increasing the stash size, but hopefully that will come in a future patch too.

ChewbaccaUncircumcised

Awesome, thanks for typing all of that up, Sigma.

wheels

Post by wheels »

Yes, that was very helpful. I'll come back to this game, I own the season pass after all, but I'm definitely going to wait for 1.2 to log in and try to make a push for better gear.

In the meantime, I will definitely clear out all those quests and things. Thanks for the heads up

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

No worries! There's a few things I forgot to mention: -

Reckless will be fixed in 1.2. It's supposed to give you +13% damage against enemies, while increasing the damage you take by 10%, but it's been bugged since the game launched and it actually gives you +13% damage while decreasing the damage you take by 10%. That's why a lot of players currently use a Reckless chest piece, Savage gloves and 4 piece Sentry as it gives them a HUGE boost in damage, but also reduces the damage they take by an extra 10%.

Balanced is being fixed. It's supposed to make the gun super stable for the first shot after the weapon is shouldered, but only the first shot, however, it's doing it for every shot and that makes guns like the M1A overpowered. That will be fixed so that it only affects the first shot, making it great for a quick scope headshot, but marksman rifles will no longer have laser-like accuracy due to the reticule barely moving.

Brutal is being nerfed. I don't know the details, but the devs have said that it's too OP and is leading to players being put down a lot faster than they intended.

The Sentry 4 piece bonus is changing, so it will only work with semi-automatic guns, not fully automatic ones like SMGs. Because the 3 marks you can get give a multiplicative bonus, right now you can quickly get a damage boost of 52% by getting 3 quick headshots with an SMG and that's way OP. After 1.2, it will only work with things like pistols, shotguns and marksman rifles. It will be pretty awesome with a shotgun still though, as you can actually get all 3 marks with one headshot due to shotguns firing multiple pellets each time you pull the trigger.

One is None will be fixed, so it will no longer cause guns to jam.

There's currently a bug with the 4 piece Sentry bonus, where if you're marked by another player in the DZ via 3 headshots and you die, when you respawn the marks can sometimes stay above your head, leading to you taking 52% more damage. That will be fixed in 1.2.

The cap on the number of phoenix credits you can have will be raised from 1,000 to 2,000.

There'll be a new Toughness stat that combines health, stamina and armour. That will replace the current Health stat shown on the main character stats screen.

There's 4 new gear sets. Here's the gear set names and their 4 piece bonuses: -

Final Measure - If you damage a hostile with a grenade, you get a defuse buff. If you then get targeted by a grenade, you will defuse it and gain 1 extra grenade in your inventory. This could be really useful for challenging missions and the new incursion where you get targeted by tons of grenades.

Hunter's Faith - When you hit an enemy with a bullet, you get a temporary extra boost in armour. The further away you are from an enemy when you hit them, the bigger the boost you'll get. The boost can push you well above the 75% damage mitigation limit in 1.2, but you lose the boost after being hit by 1 bullet. This will be good for sniping, as you can hit an enemy from long range, get a massive boost in armour, and you can stay out of cover taking shots at enemies until you get hit and lose the armour boost.

Lone Star - Each time you swap weapons, the weapon you're swapping from regains all of its ammo. The 2 piece bonus for this gives you a 100% increase in ammo capacity too, so you could use, say, a pair of SMGs or a pair of shotguns and just keep swapping between them and you'll never run out of ammo. I think this will be abused a bit like the police backpack, as even if you don't like this gear set, if you have 2 pieces you can put them on, restock, then you'll get a 100% increase in ammo that you'll keep when you swap back to your regular gear set pieces.

Predator's Mark - If you hit the same target 10 times in a row, that will cause that target to bleed and the bleed will cause the same amount of damage as the 10 bullets did. This would potentially be seriously OP in PVP, but you can get bleed resistance of 100% on gear which will prevent this from working on you.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

How are you guys liking the game post-1.2?

I dunno if any of you are using 2 Lone Star gear set pieces just for restocking, so you get the +100% ammo capacity boost, but if you are, go to the DZ01 checkpoint on the west side and the vendor in there is selling a cheap purple mod that gives you +9% ammo. I've got 3 mod slots in my 2 Lone Star pieces, so I bought 3 of those mods to give me a further 27% ammo boost, which means I can now carry around 2,100 bullets for my SMG.