Titanfall 2 - Xbox One/PS4/PC - October 28th

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Sigma

Titanfall 2 - Xbox One/PS4/PC - October 28th

Post by Sigma »

Here's the multiplayer trailer: -

I can't wait for this!

This time around the game has a full offline single player campaign too.

Sigma

Re: Titanfall 2 - Xbox One/PS4/PC - October 28th

Post by Sigma »

I didn't like the tech test for this, but I ended up picking up the game. It's decent, but I'm not sure it's worthy of some of the review scores it's been getting.

One of the criticisms of the original was that at launch, it didn't offer a lot of content. There was no single player, there were only a few playlists, there was no co-op mode, no private matches or ranking system - over time Respawn added a lot of stuff, but by the time they added meaningful content like new modes, the player base had already dropped off considerably.

I assumed that with this one, it would feel more like a complete package. It doesn't really though. It has a single player, but it's only 4-5 hours long. I've heard it's very good from friends who've finished it, but it's definitely on the short side when it comes to a single player campaign in a AAA game. There's only 9 maps - fewer than the first game at launch. There's no co-op mode. There's no ranking system. There's not even a stats screen where you can see your K/D ratio, how many pilots and titans you've killed overall etc. The only mode that's totally brand new is Bounty Hunt, which is a round-based mode where you earn cash by killing AI and there are 3 banks that open for a short time at the end of each round, so you have to try and bank your bonus cash without being killed. I do find it odd that they left out reasonably popular modes like Marked for Death, but left in Pilot Skirmish, a mode that was utterly dead a couple of weeks after being added to Titanfall 1.

I liked the AI in the first game as it made the battles seem more alive. In this game, only a couple of the modes feature AI, which can make the battlefield seem a bit barren in modes like Last Titan Standing, especially as that's 5 Vs. 5 now and not 6 Vs. 6. They have added some new AI types though, and in Bounty Hunt AI titans will drop down that you need to kill to earn cash.

Lack of content aside, what's there is solid enough. They've added a ton of stuff to unlock, including loads of skins and decals to customise your pilot and titan. Matchmaking is fast and works well for the most part. This time around there's 6 titans instead of 3, but each one has fixed weapons. I think they're a bit unbalanced and there are definitely titans that are a bit OP, such as Tone. I'm not a huge fan of the battery system, where your titan doesn't drop with a shield, but if you (or a friendly pilot) rip the battery out of an enemy titan it can be put into your own titan to give it a shield, albeit one that does not recharge. Pilot movement feels solid and you can certainly get around the maps really quickly if you know what you're doing, just like in the first game. Time to kill seems a bit lower though, and the map design doesn't have the verticality of the first game and promotes camping in certain spots. Some of the pilot weapons could do with some balance tweaks too, but I'm sure they'll do a good job of that over time - they did with the original game.

One good thing about this game is that they will be adding new maps and modes for free, so there is no season pass nor paid map packs. While there are micro-transactions, it's just for cosmetic stuff so there's no pay to win and you can already unlock a ton of cosmetic stuff just by playing the game. Apparently they will be adding a stats screen and a ranking system, so once the game is padded out with content (and hopefully a co-op mode too!) it could be worthy of some of the 9/10 scores it's received, but I don't think it's worth that now.

Neuro

Re: Titanfall 2 - Xbox One/PS4/PC - October 28th

Post by Neuro »

ive heard this game is pretty damn fun, i played the beta and it was for what it was

my problem is ive got all these other games keeping me away right now , maybe down the road when DLC is released and price drops ill check it