Retro NES System

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Hush

Re: Retro NES System

Post by Hush »

Philaflava wrote:PM sent.

In efforts to help you sell these, since I'm sure there will be a demand, why don't you list everything you're getting? Not every game but maybe every system with a few highlights. I think that might help generate more interest for those on the fence.
The only systems I have full libraries for and will be including are:

NES
SNES
Sega Genesis
Atari 2600
(I think I may have TG16 as well but I'll have to check)
*Let me know if there are any systems/games you'd like to have and I'll do my best to get them for you.

What's included in the box:

Fully assembled 'console'
Bluetooth adapter for pairing PS3 controllers
16GB micro SD card preloaded with OS and all above games
Power adapter with on/off switch

An HDMI cable is not included as most people have extras lying around.
You must also provide your own controller as I won't be including any in the bundle. A Sixaxis or Dualshock 3 will work. I will include instructions on pairing controllers as well as properly powering on/off the system.

Hush

Post by Hush »

The parts have arrived!

Dan

Post by Dan »

Are PS3 controllers the only ones that would be compatible with this Pi unit? I was hoping a USB NES or Genesis controller would work since most of these games require 2 buttons at most.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Dan wrote:Are PS3 controllers the only ones that would be compatible with this Pi unit? I was hoping a USB NES or Genesis controller would work since most of these games require 2 buttons at most.
Yes, those should work. I have one and will test tonight.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Hush wrote:
Dan wrote:Are PS3 controllers the only ones that would be compatible with this Pi unit? I was hoping a USB NES or Genesis controller would work since most of these games require 2 buttons at most.
I can confirm that this controller works with no additional config required:

https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Classic- ... ffalo+snes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Hush wrote:
Hush wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Classic- ... ffalo+snes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So if I cop this, simply plug into the Pi? I take it to power off/on then it would be at the main menu instead of the controller? LMK. If so, I'll cop this tonight. I prefer something more NES anyways than a PS3 controller.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Philaflava wrote:
Hush wrote:
Hush wrote:

So if I cop this, simply plug into the Pi? I take it to power off/on then it would be at the main menu instead of the controller? LMK. If so, I'll cop this tonight. I prefer something more NES anyways than a PS3 controller.
Yes, simply plug in and it works. Sorry, I should have mentioned this sooner, but I kind of forgot I had them and I've been using PS3 controllers with mine.

I'm not sure I understand your second question.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Well basically, I'd opt for any NES-like controller over the PS3, since that is what I'll be playing most NES games. If it's also more convenient since I don't have to sync or power off/on with controller, then it's a win win.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Philaflava wrote:Well basically, I'd opt for any NES-like controller over the PS3, since that is what I'll be playing most NES games. If it's also more convenient since I don't have to sync or power off/on with controller, then it's a win win.
Well, you can't power on with a PS3 controller anyway. Regardless of what controller you are using the power on/off processes are the same. To power on you have to use the manual switch. To power off you hit start and then scroll down to Quit>Shutdown>Yes.

The only real difference between using them is one is wired and the other is wireless and paired to the bluetooth adapter.

For quitting out of a game back to the main menu:

PS3 controller you press the home button (PS logo) + start
On the wired 'SNES' pad you press select + start
Last edited by Hush on Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Just to give people a better idea of what they'll be getting...

Here's a stock image of the case I use for these builds:

Here's an uncased Pi 3 in someone's hand for scale:

Hush

Post by Hush »

Here's everything I included on Philaflava's build:

NES (complete North American library)
SNES (complete NA library)
Sega Genesis (complete NA library)
TurboGrafx-16 (complete library) <- referred to as PC Engine on the system menu
Atari 2600 (complete library)

A couple of PS1 games, Final Fantasy Tactics and Resident Evil

Bonus NES games:

Contra (J) - Japanese version of Contra w/ cut scenes between levels and some extra animations, translated to english w/ rom hack
Gryzor (J) - Japanese version of Contra same as above but untranslated
Probotector (E) - European region version of Contra, human character sprites were changed to robots in this version
Earthbound Zero - Prequel to Earthbound on the SNES, also known as Mother in Japan, fully translated to english w/ rom hack
Sweet Home - Another Japanese RPG, translated to english w/ rom hack
Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa - Japanese Konami title, I remember renting an imported copy of this back in the day, translated to english w/ rom hack
Tecmo Super Bowl 2016 - Rom hack with all 32 NFL teams and rosters from last season
Last edited by Hush on Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Here are the systems that are compatible if you wish to add more roms:

Arcade/MAME
NES
FDS (Family Computer Disk System, connected to Famicom, the Japanese NES)
SNES
Sega Master System
PlayStation (1)
Sega Genesis
Game Boy
Game Boy Advance
Atari 7800
Game Boy Color
PC Engine (TurboGrafx-16)
Atari 2600
Sega SG1000 (?)
MSX 1 / 2 / 2+ (?)
Nintendo 64 (experimental) <- I haven't been able to get any N64 games to work
Sega 32x
Sega CD
ScummVM
Game and Watch (lol)
PRBOOM (Doom) <- a version of Doom is already packaged with the OS
Vectrex
Sega Game Gear
Virtual Boy
Atari Lynx
Wonderswan Color
NeoGeo Pocket Color
NeoGeo / NeoGeo CD
SuperGrafx
Odyssey 2 Videopac
Amstrad CPC
Sinclair ZX81
Atari ST
Sinclair ZX Spectrum

As you can see the list gets pretty obscure.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

If somebody wanted to do PS1 instead say TurboGrapx is it the same amount? Also, does this include the entire library or your entire library?

I'm looking for Fist Of The North Star, Spider-Man: Return of the Sinister Six & The Uncanny X-Men for NES.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Philaflava wrote:If somebody wanted to do PS1 instead of say TurboGrafx is it the same amount? Also, does this include the entire library or your entire library?

I'm looking for Fist Of The North Star, Spider-Man: Return of the Sinister Six & The Uncanny X-Men for NES.
The entire PS1 library would be too large to fit on a reasonable sized micro SD card. Each game could be up to the size of a full CD (~700 MB). The older systems like NES take up a fraction of that space so it is feasible to include their entire catalogs (for example, the full NES library is only ~237 MB, SNES, Genesis, and TG16 are somewhere between 1-2GB each). I included those two PS1 games because those are the only PS1 games I happened to have downloaded on my PC.

The systems listed above that say 'full library' are the actual complete library of games released for that system (but some are North American releases only as noted).

All three of those NES games you're looking for should be on there.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Thanks for everything you're doing. Can't wait!

Hush

Post by Hush »

Philaflava wrote:Thanks for everything you're doing. Can't wait!
You're welcome

Hush

Post by Hush »

I verified that all three of those NES games are included, but Uncanny X-men is titled Marvel's X-men for some reason.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Perfect.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

So I know...I need a USB to plug in the AC and a HDMI to plug into the TV?

Looks like your system arrives tomorrow as well as my Buffalo controller, so I got this weekend to get my gamin' on. :megaman:

Hush

Post by Hush »

Philaflava wrote:So I know...I need a USB to plug in the AC and a HDMI to plug into the TV?

Looks like your system arrives tomorrow as well as my Buffalo controller, so I got this weekend to get my gamin' on. :megaman:
You'll only need an HDMI cable. In the top picture above, the cable that is between the Pi and the AC plug is the power cable. The micro end plugs into the Pi and the regular end plugs into the AC adapter. You can see the in-line power button as well. The rounded thing sticking out of the Pi is the Bluetooth adapter.

Hush

Post by Hush »

My Etsy shop is open for business:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Hushgamer

Still need to work on the presentation and branding a bit.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I got my system Saturday from Hush and I can honestly say, it's well worth it. Extremely easy to use and literally thousands of games to choose from. For me, I was all about the NES and Genesis and now I can play any game ever made on that system at any time. The beauty of this is that the Raspberry is HDMI and the system can be played with the wireless remote or the retro SNES controller from Amazon (which I bought). Plus for those familiar with XBMC (now Kodi), it has that too.

Hush, you are the man.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Philaflava wrote:I got my system Saturday from Hush and I can honestly say, it's well worth it. Extremely easy to use and literally thousands of games to choose from. For me, I was all about the NES and Genesis and now I can play any game ever made on that system at any time. The beauty of this is that the Raspberry is HDMI and the system can be played with the wireless remote or the retro SNES controller from Amazon (which I bought). Plus for those familiar with XBMC (now Kodi), it has that too.

Hush, you are the man.
:cheers:

Dan

Post by Dan »

Timely.

The first 13 years of Nintendo Power.

Every page scanned.

https://archive.org/details/nintendopower?sort=-date" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Dan on Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Dan wrote:Timely.

The first 13 years of Nintendo Power.

Every page scanned.

https://archive.org/details/nintendopow ... ads&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ill. Thanks!

Hush

Post by Hush »

For the purists, this thing is coming soon:

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.ph ... ucts_id=78" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hush

Post by Hush »

Just wanted to make one more post to say that I'm still offering to build the Raspberry Pi retro systems, but they will now be made to order since I've sold out of what I had on hand.

Please see my Etsy store linked above for pricing. Lead time is 3-5 days (a couple of days to order the parts, another couple of days for prep and ship). Feel free to PM me or reply to the thread for questions about pricing, custom orders, etc.

Thanks!

Hush

Post by Hush »

Bumping since I've posted a couple of new listings on my Etsy shop:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Hushgamer

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Well worth it guys. Hush is not only stand-up but makes a mean product that shits on the NES classic.