Retro NES System

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Retro NES System

Post by Philaflava »

I copped this for my son because we play a lot of the virtual games on Wii now but the library is small. No Contra too. Has anyone used a system like this before?

Hush

Re: Retro NES System

Post by Hush »

I thought you modded your Wii? You could run an NES emulator with every game ever, but maybe it's not something you want to show your son from a moral standpoint (how to pirate games).

These retro systems are cool if you still have your old NES games. The Retron 5, which is a bit more expensive, supports multiple systems and has HDMI output.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I don't know how to mod and I don't want to risk anything like breaking that shit trying.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Yo you shoulda copped the Retro Duo man. Plays NES & SNES cartridges. I love mine.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Gonna cop this. Never really played much SNES.

In recent years we've seen a proliferation of "clone" systems which replicate the performance of vintage hardware. The Retron 5 and Retro Freak are perhaps the two most notable examples, but it would seem that Nintendo itself has finally woken up to the potential of reselling its classic systems in new guises.
Today it has shocked the retro gaming community by announcing the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition (Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System in Europe), a "new" version of its legendary NES hardware which will cost $59.99 in the US.
It connects to your TV via HDMI and even comes with that classic NES pad, which can also be used with your Wii or Wii U. You can also use a Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro on the system for two-player action, but the new NES pad will be sold separately for $9.99 as well - just in case you like consistency.
Sadly you can't use your original NES carts with the console - something even the most basic "Famiclone" offers - and there doesn't seem to be any means of getting new games onto it. Also, according to the official PR, there's no power supply in the box with the European version - you get the USB cable but you'll need to source a USB power block, which shouldn't be an issue as most mobile phones come with them.

The console arrives on the 11th November and will come with 30 pre-loaded titles:
Balloon Fight
BUBBLE BOBBLE
Castlevania
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
Dr. Mario
Excitebike
FINAL FANTASY
Galaga
GHOSTS 'N GOBLINS
GRADIUS
Ice Climber
Kid Icarus
Kirby's Adventure
Mario Bros.
MEGA MAN 2
Metroid
NINJA GAIDEN
PAC-MAN
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics
SUPER C
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
TECMO BOWL
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Hush

Post by Hush »

Came back to post about that ^^^

Still no Contra though :fail:

I wonder how long it will take for someone to mod one of these so you can add more games to it?

They did a pretty respectable job on the game selection. I would replace Castlevania II with III, Tecmo Bowl with Tecmo Super Bowl, Super C with Contra (or get rid of one of the older games like Balloon Fight, Ice Climber or Mario Bros. and have both Contra and Super C).

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Super C is Contra 2, no?

Hush

Post by Hush »

Philaflava wrote:Super C is Contra 2, no?
Correct, and it is a really solid game, but not as good as the OG.

I noticed that the description of the mini NES mentions 'pre-loaded' games. I wonder if they will allow you to expand the game library through some official means?

Dwight Strawberry

Post by Dwight Strawberry »

Should have RC Pro AM
Tecmo Bowl will have fake names
It must have a save game feature?

Dwight Strawberry

School me on these modded Wii's
I see them on ebay fairly cheap. I assume you can save your game progress anywhere? Looks like NES, SNES, Genesis, and N64 libraries? Can you still play Wii and GameCube discs?

Hush

Post by Hush »

There also this option which I highly recommend:

http://www.recalbox.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Requires a bit of DIY.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Dwight Strawberry wrote:School me on these modded Wii's
I see them on ebay fairly cheap. I assume you can save your game progress anywhere? Looks like NES, SNES, Genesis, and N64 libraries? Can you still play Wii and GameCube discs?
Yes, the Wii maintains all of its original functionality. Modding a Wii basically consists of installing one unofficial channel on the main dashboard (the Homebrew Channel). You then copy versions of emulators specifically made for the Wii to an SD card. The Homebrew Channel reads the SD card in the Wii and is basically where you launch the emulators or other homebrew applications (you launch the Homebrew Channel just like you would a game or any other channel. Within the Homebrew Channel, you will see a list of everything installed on your SD card, which you can launch.) Most of the emulators I've used have a 'save anywhere' option built in.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Sounds like you won't be able to add any games to that mini NES:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/14/121934 ... q-nintendo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll probably take a pass even though this is a cool looking device. I'll probably grab one later if the price drops or if someone ends up hacking it.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Stupid of them to not put a cartridge slot in it. Would've only cost them a few dollars a unit probably.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Stupid of them to not put a cartridge slot in it. Would've only cost them a few dollars a unit probably.
It is too small for the standard NES cartridges:

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Look at the pictures of the two unofficial NES players posted in this thread.
Problem is easily solved by vertical cartridge slots. The OG NES is the only cartridge-based system where the cartridge slots actually went all the way into the unit.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I have to think one of the reasons was to eliminate the "troubleshooting" type issues. The overwhelming returns, complaints, negative reviews, customer support calls when people can't get their dusty old cartridges to load on this.

Dan

Post by Dan »

I want this, I just hope it's not a limited run where it'll be impossible to find.

I do wonder about how these games will look on modern TVs. Will they be modified for 16:9, presented originally at 4:3, or stretched?

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Philaflava wrote:I have to think one of the reasons was to eliminate the "troubleshooting" type issues. The overwhelming returns, complaints, negative reviews, customer support calls when people can't get their dusty old cartridges to load on this.
The old NES systems had cart problems because of shitty pin connectors on the inside of the unit. They aren't like that now.
I own 40 or so games, some of them since I was a kid, and can play all of them without any issues on my retro duo.

Hush

Post by Hush »

I was thinking of making Raspberry Pi retro consoles as a side-biz / hobby. Phila, does this interest you at all?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I don't know what that means but anything retro interests me.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Philaflava wrote:I don't know what that means but anything retro interests me.
A Raspberry Pi is a credit card sized computer board that sells for $35. They were originally developed as a cheap platform to teach computer science in schools, but they caught on and are being used as the basis for all kinds of computer/engineering projects. One of the things you can do with them is install a special OS designed specifically for emulating different game consoles. This has been done on PCs and other devices for years but the advantages of the Pi are, price, size, low power consumption, HDMI port... You can also install a Bluetooth adapter and use PS3 controllers and other BT enabled controllers. It's basically the equivalent of that NES retro console (except not as pretty), but instead of 30 games I have the entire NES library, as well as SNES, Genesis, etc.

I was thinking about replicating my set up and selling them to others for fun and (a small) profit. I'm still trying to finalize the parts and final costs though.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

If you make it dummy proof for guys like myself who don't know shit about modding or doing crazy shit, I am totally game for that.

wheels

Post by wheels »

I'd buy it if it had those 3 libraries on it for sure.

Dwight Strawberry

Hush wrote:I was thinking of making Raspberry Pi retro consoles as a side-biz / hobby. Phila, does this interest you at all?
I'd be interested as well. Would it basically plug into TV and play? I'm assuming it will have some internal memory for save files? The bluetooth to PS3 controllers sounds great.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Yes, it is plug and play. Basically just plug in HDMI and power, plug in or sync your controllers and play. Once you've synced a PS3 controller, it remembers and doesn't need to be re-synced every time, you just turn the controller on and it pairs up (unless you pair it back to a PS3 or something, although I haven't tested this). Also, the operating system, roms, save files and everything else are stored on a micro SD card. Save files for games that originally had battery backup are handled seamlessly. You can exit out of any game back to the main menu by pressing the Playstation Home Button + Start.

You can also add more roms quite easily:

When plugged into your local network, the roms folder for each emulated system are automatically shared on your network. You would just go to your PC or Mac and browse to the shared folders, and drop your roms into the appropriate system's folder. There is also a shared folder where the save games are stored if you need to back them up, etc.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Would you guys all be cool with using your own PS3 controllers? That would obviously keep the cost down considerably.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

When do you think you can hammer these out? I'm getting a semi thinking about it.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Philaflava wrote:When do you think you can hammer these out? I'm getting a semi thinking about it.
Haha, I just ordered the parts to build three, should be here Tuesday. The selling price is $100, shipped. I'm assuming you guys all use PayPal. PM me for the payment details.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

PM sent.

In efforts to help you sell these, since I'm sure there will be a demand, why don't you list everything you're getting? Not every game but maybe every system with a few highlights. I think that might help generate more interest for those on the fence.