Moderator: Sigma

Sigma

Nintendo unveil their next console/handheld, Nintendo Switch

Post by Sigma »

Hush

Re: Nintendo unveil their next console/handheld, Nintendo Sw

Post by Hush »

A lot of the scenarios presented seem unrealistic:

Take your dog to the park so you can ignore him and play Zelda.
Stop playing real basketball so we can play 2K with tiny controllers on tiny screens.
Go to a party but keep playing Nintendo while everyone else watches.
Draw gameplans for Splatoon?

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

new splatoon=must buy

^^yeah the ad is corny. but if they show some asian kid playing it on the subway whites aren't gonna cop
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Most underrated part of this is that now Nintendo can consolidate all of their development teams to focus on just one console so they should be able to provide more first party support to it than any of their previous consoles. If they're churning out a half dozen A list titles a year or more, they'll have a lot more appeal.
We shouldn't have to go an entire gen without a new Metroid or Zelda anymore.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

^werd. economies of scale.

the possible drawback is they stop experimenting with new game designs, since they've usually done this on portable. eg "link between worlds" being mainly 2D isn't something you'd think they'd release as a home console title, but it's the best zelda game in a decade. also the "new mario bros" and "mario 3D land" series both started on portable.
Tommy Bunz wrote: We shouldn't have to go an entire gen without a new Metroid or Zelda anymore.
tbh i'm more choked about not getting a mario galaxy title this gen.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Hush wrote:A lot of the scenarios presented seem unrealistic:

Take your dog to the park so you can ignore him and play Zelda.
Stop playing real basketball so we can play 2K with tiny controllers on tiny screens.
Go to a party but keep playing Nintendo while everyone else watches.
Draw gameplans for Splatoon?
Yeah. How many people are really going to be doing any of that stuff?

This is shaping up to be another Nintendo console that'll only be good for playing Nintendo's own games, but they can't rely on just that. To compete with MS and Sony they have to have the big AAA cross-platform titles as well as their own franchises. They have to do better in the online space. This is a large handheld that plugs into a TV, but the base unit doesn't contain extra tech to boost the power. It's just a dock. Maybe it's too big to be an attractive handheld and too weak to be an attractive console (both to devs and consumers).

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Sigma wrote: This is shaping up to be another Nintendo console that'll only be good for playing Nintendo's own games, but they can't rely on just that. To compete with MS and Sony they have to have the big AAA cross-platform titles as well as their own franchises.
i don't expect to see nintendo compete directly with sony & ms. last two gens they've veered away from that lane (with wildly varying results). i think they're holding out, hoping for a really transformative apple type hardware innovation. not that the switch is that -- but i didn't expect tablets to take off either.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Hush

Post by Hush »

One of the problems I see with the Switch is the same problem the Wii and Wii U had - too many peripherals.

Just give me a console and a standard controller (or more for couch co-op). I don't want a box/drawer/closet full of Wiimotes, Nunchuks, Classic controllers, Pro Controllers, the Wii U Gamepad, sensor bar, etc.......

Not that the Switch is going to have all that, but already you're gonna have the docking station with its own cables, probably a portable charging unit of some sort, the controller pieces that detach from the main unit, as well as the standard Pro controller. Just seems like a lot to manage and the potential for things to break, etc. I'm assuming you'll be able to replace the detachable parts individually.

Edit: You can kind of pare the Wii U down to a standard game console if you throw out all that other crap and just use a Pro controller.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

^yeah i rock one pro controller & one tablet. not a prob

the switch's detachable pieces seem like a nightmare. the only advantage i can see it portable multiplay, but who knows if there's a market for that
1. Nas
2. Drake

Hush

Post by Hush »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:^yeah i rock one pro controller & one tablet. not a prob

the switch's detachable pieces seem like a nightmare. the only advantage i can see it portable multiplay, but who knows if there's a market for that
Same here. I also refuse to set up the sensor bar in this day and age.