looking for cloud storage with a twist

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

ric

looking for cloud storage with a twist

Post by ric »

I'm looking for some electronic storage where I can put say all my mp3s and access and listen to them anywhere. does such a thing exist? what is pricing like?

Sigma

Re: looking for cloud storage with a twist

Post by Sigma »

You can do it with OneDrive and the Groove Music app, although you're limited to 50,000 songs.

Depending on how much space you need, one cheap way to get 1TB of OneDrive storage is with an Office 365 Personal subscription. That gives you access to the full Office 365 suite on 1 PC and 1 phone/tablet, 1TB of OneDrive storage, and 60 minutes of Skype calls per month. You can pick up a code for 12 months on eBay for about 35-40 dollars.

Amazon Music is another option. With a paid subscription you have access to their streaming service, which is a bit like Spotify, but the selection isn't as good, but you can also upload up to 250,000 of your own songs. Also, if you buy music from Amazon, it's automatically added to your library, even if you buy it on vinyl or CD most of the time - they'll add a digital version for you to stream/download.

ric

Post by ric »

@sigma
thanks sir.
:cheers:

so groove music and one drive are Microsoft products?

Hush

Post by Hush »

Google Play Music seems like the obvious choice, but maybe I'm wrong.

You can store up to 50,000 songs with them and its free!

Hush

Post by Hush »

Another option is the free version of Plex. You would install and run the Plex server on your PC. Then, you could create a Music library and point it to your local music files. Plex server would then index everything and you could access and listen from the mobile Plex app. This method doesn't require you to upload anything, as your music would be streaming directly from your home PC to your mobile device. You would need to open a port on your router so Plex is accessible from outside your network.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

ric wrote:so groove music and one drive are Microsoft products?
Yep. OneDrive used to be known as SkyDrive. I use it a fair bit, and it's integrated into Windows 10.

I'm not the greatest fan of Groove Music though, at least, I wasn't the last time I used it, which was some time ago.

I totally forgot that Google Play Music lets you upload up to 50,000 songs for free, so I'd go with Hush's idea and try that first.

ric

Post by ric »

@dudes
thanks for all the assistance. it's highly highly appreciated this shit is amazing.

edit: long story short (spoiler below is long version) groove fucks with the tags. so I read that you need to tag your shit with a certain program but then that same article said iTunes is fine too. my shit is tagged in iTunes exactly as I want it already (sans those mysterious azn characters). so.... do I need musicbee or mp3tag to fucking tag 50+gb of music all over again?

Edit2: it's especially confusing because in my computer Internet version of groovemusic it has it stored as 'soundtracks' artist but then the title above has it has 'Jon brion' which I put in the composer field and thus my fucking phone thinks the artist is Jon Brian fucking ridiculous but then in The Hours which is artist soundtrack I have no composer field tagged in but groove music puts it under Philip glass. fuck you Microsoft.

edit 3 ok so the real issue seems to be that groove music just doesn't give a fuck about your tags until it doesn't know what to do which is motherfucking retarded and of course it thinks it knows too much
well I'm doing the groove music thing because the one drive cloud lets you download shit you put up there because it is after all your own little cloud storage thing. so I can put shit on my phone (albeit really tediously one song at a time) if I want to but also share between computers etc etc and one drive has a feature to grant other people access to certain files and folders with a link which is dope as fuck.

OK so. I'm rolling with groove music one drive combo. the big problem I'm running into is that it fucks with the organization/'meta data' of your shit which is fucking weird because it's stealing its info from the fucking cloud which are files that I have already fucking tagged and named in the actual file name and it's fucking with all of that. which is motherfucking retarded. my attitude is not 'Oh why bother'? my attitude is 'fuck you guys I spent all this time organizing it the way I want it then you come along and fuck it all up even though it looks like it's all good because it's in the cloud space that I fucking pay you fucks for'

so I'm wondering if there's anyway I can put off the wall back in the Michael Jackson folder and punch drunk love and all those soundtracks back in the fucking 'soundtrack' folder

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

google play music really is the best answer.

ric

Post by ric »

here's the deal. after much comparison and analysis the best deal works like this:
onedrive @ 1tb (like $90 per year)
then on the phone the cloudplayer companion app (seriously it's like $5-9) just make sure to never turn on the metadata assistance option...
and when you tag your music just make sure that if there's anything that might be construed as confusing in the top tier organization levels you solidify with things like Album Artist field. which I normally leave blank. cause who gives a fuck.

because Googles music cloud deal works like this: you get like 50000 songs or whatever. you can buy more space etc. but you cannot download these files once they're up in the cloud. you get like 2 downloads per file for the life of the account. nor can you share them in the virtually unlimited fashion that onedrive allows for. and you get less space for the same amount of money (or at least you did last I checked). so really you're just buying access to a database so they can track your personal info and not really do anything great for you other than they have a plug and play companion app.