What were the tightest gaming mags back in the day?

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

What were the tightest gaming mags back in the day?

Post by Galvatron78 »

I was a hardcore EGM Fan back in 89'...i still have some of those issues..it's funny to look at them now when they were doing sketches of the SNES (SUper Famicom) and ther showed Betas of the games...EGM went to shit later after Sushi-X left...I was reading Gampro at the time when Street Fight II got hella big in the U.S. and then i discovered Die Hard GameFan Magazine...them niggaz were like the PhilaFlava of Game mags...a lot of developers and gaming companies got mad at them because if their shit was wack GAMEFAN put em' on front-street (especially Nick Rox and ECM)...they were the only mags to give Firepro and Gunstar Heropes the props it deserves and their store was ill as fuck too...that's how i got X-Men vs. Street Fighter on Saturn and they sent me this ill ass Iori Yagimi poster for perordering. I still got a soft spot for Gamefan...If I'm correct their last issue was sometime in mid 2000...it's sad that they had to go...their writing skills ajd abrasivness was ill just imagine some muthafuckas like JLB and KRS-THUN and EMPloyee bashing the shit outa wack ass games...they took it there man.....

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

I was into Gamepro, I never heard of that other mag you mentioned but it sounds great.

I remember this PC mag I used to get that was awesome.

In one issue, they had all these unsanctioned screenshots and info on Max Payne that they stole from a developer party or something. They slammed everything that deserved it and were ruthless. When it finally got shut down, the final issue was full of stuff ripping on the publisher and and saying fuck you to all the people that got the pulled. I forgot the name of it though

Useff

Post by Useff »

Gamefan was a great Magazine. Definitely the best for import-related things as far as I remember. They covered the shit that nobody would cover, and plus it had that insane comic for a while (fried alien cockroach, anyone?).
EGM has stayed good throughout, in my opinion. Actually, It's been starting to decline as of late but it's still better than most of the stuff out there.
Does anyone remember when GamePro used to be good? I do. Perhaps their downfall was letting Fennec Fox go.
For those that might remember, PSM used to be absolutely terrific. They had this amazing section on imports, with this dude "Banzai Chibi-chan". It had some real ill exclusives, such as a plethora of memory card stickers (I wish we hadn't thrown away the Street Fighter Alpha 3 ones).
NextGen, however, was in a league of its own as far as editorials and features go. It just had so much content, and so much depth. Even now I'm kind of miffed about that magazine being cancelled.

I used to get Sega Visions in the mail. It was like a Nintendo Power, but for Sega, and a much, much smaller budget. Yes, it was wack.

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

Useff wrote: I used to get Sega Visions in the mail. It was like a Nintendo Power, but for Sega, and a much, much smaller budget. Yes, it was wack.
More wack than Nintendo Power?

Such a thing could not possibly exist!!!

Useff

Post by Useff »

Yeah, Nintendo Power is basically just a hype machine for Nintendo's IPs, but it doesn't touch Sega Visions. Plus, around that time Nintendo Power wasn't nearly as bad as recent years. I'm talking like 1992-1993. Being in third grade and losing my mind over Ecco the Dolphin. CHRISMCBANELEGALLYINSANE

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

Nowadays, I like Game Informer although it gets slammed alot. They always have lots of information on games. I usually take their reviews lightly, though, as they hand out a lot of 8,9's and 10's for undeserving games.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

Nowadays, I like Game Informer although it gets slammed alot. They always have lots of information on games. I usually take their reviews lightly, though, as they hand out a lot of 8,9's and 10's for undeserving games.
GI also is a staff that let all the live folks go (i.e. Justin) i can't read that shit anymore....if it wasn't for Gamefan i would have never known about FirePro :shock: :shock:

Useff

Post by Useff »

ChristPuncher wrote:Nowadays, I like Game Informer although it gets slammed alot. They always have lots of information on games. I usually take their reviews lightly, though, as they hand out a lot of 8,9's and 10's for undeserving games.
Game Informer is kind of nice, but I don't trust them a lot of the time. Like you said, they are often too generous in their reviews. Also, what's the deal with the games that make their covers? Some seriously BAD games end up on the cover of Game Informer, and in my circle it's almost like a curse. "Oh shit, that game made the cover of GI? I bet it's gonna be wack."
At the same time, every once in a while they get a really good cover feature.

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

I also understand that Play was a good current gaming mag, though I haven't read any issues myself.

Yeah it sucks that GI let Justin go (although I think he might of left on his own accord) but the new guy Joe is hilarious.

I wish I could combine EGM's integrity and humor with Game Informer's coverage and clout. That would be a good magazine.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

I still have an EGM shirt that I got for subscribing to the mag back in ....shit.....probably 90. 89 or 90. But it just says "EGM IN YOUR FACE"
But yeah I used to get EGM every month for like, my entire life. I used to HATE Gamepro, just being an elitist bitch. No big deal now though.

still wear the shirt

excellent thread by the way

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Gamefan is the one and only. They used to have some crazy mags over in Britain as I recall. There was Super Play which was a dope snes magazine, and I remember my cousin getting this one magazine where the letters were answered by a game named Yob. It was basically like Posty (no idea who started up first), except better because Yob would cuss you out and basically just write like a drunk football hooligan.

Jabba Dabba

For all the Gamefan Magzine Fans out there..........

Post by Jabba Dabba »

Heres a link from another forum started by one of the writers reminicing about working there and all. It's crazy cuz eventually all of the top writers from back in the day (one of the founders djpubba, Nick Rox, Takuhi, Dango, and a bunch of others) registered to put there two cents in. A little warning though, the thread is long as hell, but there are alotta entertaining stories

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/show ... hp?t=33808

What came out of this discussion was that eventually one founders of Gamefan decided to create another magazine project in the spirit of Gamefan, with alot of the old staffers helping out (even the airbrush cover artist from back then!)

Heres the link to the preliminary project

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/show ... hp?t=33808

De Seven Free

Post by De Seven Free »

In the UK: Crash (80s ZX Spectrum mag) was dope and had some ill artwork by Oliver Frey. C&VG (Computer & Video Games) was a good multiformat mag, and always had the best looking screenshots (I think they were the only mag that didn't resample them, I wish other mags would learn from this). Edge is still worth buying occasionally, but it's overated, and kinda pretentious.

Overall, US games mags are/were much better ours. I used to buy EGM and PSM religiously.
Useff wrote:For those that might remember, PSM used to be absolutely terrific. They had this amazing section on imports, with this dude "Banzai Chibi-chan". It had some real ill exclusives, such as a plethora of memory card stickers (I wish we hadn't thrown away the Street Fighter Alpha 3 ones).
Yeah, dope mag. "Banzai Chibi Chan's Nihon Game Otaku". I've still got some of the stickers on my PS1 cards, including a nice FF Tactics one.
StormShadow wrote:I remember my cousin getting this one magazine where the letters were answered by a game named Yob. It was basically like Posty (no idea who started up first), except better because Yob would cuss you out and basically just write like a drunk football hooligan.
Sounds like Mean Machines... Did it have little manga-ish pictures of the writers next to their review comments? It was a pretty cool mag around the time of the Megadive and SNES launches.

curiouscharles

Post by curiouscharles »

GamePro used to be king of all mags, now the market is oversaturated. I stick to the official magazine for each system, and PC Gamer.

I actually don't buy any anymore though, they're pointless with the ign insider membership I have, and the plethora of free gaming sites.

SoulClap

Post by SoulClap »

I liked "Game Players". A couple of guys from there formed PSM.

PS: What's the story with that Sushi-X guy? Was that an actual writer or an alias for a different writer every month at EGM?
The game is a oxymoron; we sold free-base

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Super Play

FoJaR

Post by FoJaR »

LETS START AN ONLINE GAMING REVIEW SITE, IN AN EFFORT TO GET FREE GAMES FROM DEVELOPERS.

WE'LL BE HARSH AND CRUEL, BUT FAIR WITH OUR CRITICIZMS.

PEOPLE WILL LOOK FIRST TO OUR SITE WHEN LOOKING FOR NEW GAMES, BECAUSE WE'LL TELL IT LIKE IT IS.

EVENTUALLY WE'LL GET PUBLISHED AND HIT THE RACKS, DESTROYING ALL OTHER GAMING MAGAZINES WITH AN IRON FIST.

WE WILL ALL RETIRE TO A BIG MANSION WITH HUGE TV'S ON WALLS AND THE BESTEST LAN THAT MANKIND HAS EVER SEEN.

ARE YOU WITH ME!?!?!?!

From the land of the UNBANNED

SeaTownBlues

Post by SeaTownBlues »

Nintendo Power is the only videogame magazine I have ever subscribed to, and I always thought it was great.

Useff

Post by Useff »

FoJaR wrote:LETS START AN ONLINE GAMING REVIEW SITE, IN AN EFFORT TO GET FREE GAMES FROM DEVELOPERS.

WE'LL BE HARSH AND CRUEL, BUT FAIR WITH OUR CRITICIZMS.

PEOPLE WILL LOOK FIRST TO OUR SITE WHEN LOOKING FOR NEW GAMES, BECAUSE WE'LL TELL IT LIKE IT IS.

EVENTUALLY WE'LL GET PUBLISHED AND HIT THE RACKS, DESTROYING ALL OTHER GAMING MAGAZINES WITH AN IRON FIST.

WE WILL ALL RETIRE TO A BIG MANSION WITH HUGE TV'S ON WALLS AND THE BESTEST LAN THAT MANKIND HAS EVER SEEN.

ARE YOU WITH ME!?!?!?!

lololololol we will fail

FoJaR

Post by FoJaR »

NOT IF WE HAVE GALVY ON OUR SIDE

From the land of the UNBANNED

Shup Diddy
Nigga, Shup

Post by Shup Diddy »

GALVY IS TEH LYON 2 UR VOLTRON :pause:

Beek

Post by Beek »

SeaTownBlues wrote:Nintendo Power is the only videogame magazine I have ever subscribed to, and I always thought it was great.
Back when I subscribed to it, I enjoyed it. But this is back when I was 11 years old or so.

I remember I got some random gaming magazine in England once. It had this one section in the reader mail section called "Dan's Crap Corner." Dan took drawings from the mail that were obviously drawn by infants and he viciously insulted them. I've lost the magazine, but just thinking about it still makes me laugh.

Kalistoga

Post by Kalistoga »

I use to read a lot of Gamepro strictly for the "Hot at the Arcades" section. I would always see arcade games and be like :ohsh: . "What fuckin arcade is that game at?"

The following are games that were showcased in "Hot at the Arcades," but I have never found them at ANY arcade...

- G.I. Joe

- Battle Toads (3 Players simultaneous) :ohsh:

- Dragon Ball (might've been overseas only)

De Seven Free

Post by De Seven Free »

Beek wrote:"Dan's Crap Corner."
Sounds like C&VG, in the golden era of Paul Davies and his crew. It was the best UK gaming mag for a minute. Then it went crap, and eventually got cancelled.

You'd need balls of steel to launch a printed gaming mag these days.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

De Seven Free wrote:You'd need balls of steel to launch a printed gaming mag these days.
Let's not forget the fundamental requirement of being bribed in order to give great reviews.

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

Post by bringinoutbangerz »

Diehard Gamefan was the shit. I remember disliking EGM.

I subscribed to Next Generation, what a beautiful mag, they would interview that dude who created the Sims, and he sounded so out of his mind, but he ended up making out like a bandit

Gamepro was always pretty kiddy, but it was fun, remember the rating system?

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

its true that EGM went to shit after Sushi-X left... I remember sushi was so popular people used to hold up Sushi-X signs up in the crowd on WWF monday night raw and WCW nitro all the time...anyone know what happened to Sushi-X or have any info on his real indentity?

SoulClap

Post by SoulClap »

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:I remember sushi was so popular people used to hold up Sushi-X signs up in the crowd on WWF monday night raw and WCW nitro all the time.
Those signs were referring to the Sushi-X from a popular wrestling news board.
The game is a oxymoron; we sold free-base

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

^^oh word???...damn I stand coreccted