Mario Kart DS

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

slimebucato

Mario Kart DS

Post by slimebucato »

Soooo, this is only a week away, I hope some of you guys get it. DS online play is finally here :grin:

Here's an interview with the head producer

[quote]Hideki Konno tells Game|Life what's cooking on Revolution
Now Playing: Still Mario Kart DS!
Topic: Japan
On Hideki Konno's business card, it says "Producer, Entertainment Analysis and Development." That's significant because it's the position that once appeared on the business card of Shigeru Miyamoto.

Hideki Konno is, therefore, a man to watch out for. As a producer at Nintendo's EAD -- the Kyoto studio responsible for Super Mario and Zelda -- Konno is the man responsible for games like Nintendogs and Mario Kart DS.

Game|Life sat down with Mr. Konno for a one-on-one chat last week in Seattle, and spoke about not only the challenges of developing Nintendo's first-ever online game, but also about a project (that, it should be stressed, is not at this point a retail product but a creative in-house experiment) that EAD is cooking up for the Revolution:

Konno: We have this game with a big wok that you use to cook Chinese food, and it's really interesting to have the meat and vegetables frying in there, and use the controller to flip the food around without it spilling out of the pan.

Game|Life: You were also the producer of Nintendogs. What are the different challenges of creating a brand new franchise like Nintendogs versus a game with an established fanbase and pedigree like Mario Kart?

Konno: As far as the actual software development, there's not much difference, technologically speaking. But the goals for each game were separate and unique right from the beginning. With Mario Kart DS, it's the fifth game in the Mario Kart series, a very well-established franchise, and our goal with that was to provide good content, good volume, to keep that fanbase satisfied with the direction of the series.

With Nintendogs, a new franchise, one of our goals is expanding the gaming population, and Nintendogs was designed to attract new gamers and infrequent gamers, while still appealing to people who often play games.

Game|Life: As far as the technology, how much have you learned about the DS's 3D hardware capabilities? It seems like the reaction to games like Mario Kart and Nintendogs is, "wow, they can really do this much?"

Konno: Our goal was to use the full extent of the hardware's capabilities, and I think we've done a good job. If you look at Mario Kart, we've definitely exceeded the N64, I think.

Game|Life: Different fans have different things they love about the Mario Kart series. What do you find that Japanese fans like that Americans don't, or vice versa?

Konno: Hmmmm
Last edited by slimebucato on Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:41 pm, edited 11 times in total.

frank b

Post by frank b »

Can't fucking wait to kick all of your asses at this shit.
"My girl does shit like compare and contrast Kant, Foucault, Marx, Darwin and Socrates to Asian philosophers and Middle Eastern writers and poets I have never fucking heard of" - Mindbender Futurama

agent b

Post by agent b »

R.O.B will be shooting red shells at your faces you stupid motherfuckers

Chale Holmes

Post by Chale Holmes »

How does the online play work for DS?

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

Chale Holmes wrote:How does the online play work for DS?
Allegedly it's MAD easy.

You just turn on the system and start playing. The thing about Mario Kart though, is that we all get a 12 digit code that we give to our friends in order to play, and there's apparently no good way to do so except for on message boards like these, so I propose we use THIS THREAD to chart our high scores and our friend codes so I can throroughly TROUNCE YOU BITCHES!!!!!!!!

Love,

Smooth Lou

Chale Holmes

Post by Chale Holmes »

this code, comes with the game?

Beek

Post by Beek »

I assume you'll need a wireless router? Or perhaps a wireless hub that plugs into a wired router?

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

Smooth Lou wrote:I propose we use THIS THREAD to chart our high scores and our friend codes so I can be throroughly TROUNCED BY YOU BITCHES!!!!!!!!
not out here until the 25th, but it will happen.

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

Beek wrote:I assume you'll need a wireless router? Or perhaps a wireless hub that plugs into a wired router?
if you don't have wireless, nintendo have this:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61172

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

Yeah, i guess you can only buy the above dongle at nintendo.com for now, and those of you who have purchased from them can probably attest to the site being pretty fast about getting stuff out (less than a week for my DS/GBA cases).

Anyway, the way it works is you just plug it in to your Broadband-enabled PC (sorry Mac users) and it will transmit up to 35 feet away. Also, the DS is capable of playing anywhere in the country that has free wi-fi, including all McDonalds (just what we need, more fatsos playing video games at McDonalds) and colleges, univerisities, many libraries etc.

Anyway, I'm very excited about this and am glad that Nintendo took the time to do this right. I'm not all that pleased with the apparent crappiness of the "friend code" system, but it's only for Nintendo-made games as far as I can tell, and Tony Hawk's American Wasteland which also comes out next week is fully 3D and is much more suited to "standard" online play.

Love,

Smooth Lou

Chale Holmes

Post by Chale Holmes »

Smooth Lou wrote: (sorry Mac users)

FUCK!!!!!!!!!

FoJaR

Post by FoJaR »

red shells are for the weak, true masters use the green shell.

i wish i had a DS.

From the land of the UNBANNED

Beek

Post by Beek »

Chale Holmes wrote:

FUCK!!!!!!!!!
Same here :lol: :evil:

Useff

Post by Useff »

$24 at outpost.com

frank b

Post by frank b »

I'm seriously going to fuck you all up.
"My girl does shit like compare and contrast Kant, Foucault, Marx, Darwin and Socrates to Asian philosophers and Middle Eastern writers and poets I have never fucking heard of" - Mindbender Futurama

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

Useff wrote:$24 at outpost.com
cool, thanks.
frank b wrote:I'm seriously going to fuck you all up.
I only have one response to this

:bunny:

Faceless

Post by Faceless »

Useff wrote:$24 at outpost.com
W/ shipping it comes out to like $30 though :sad:

frank b

Post by frank b »

ChristPuncher wrote::bunny:
:lol:

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

Here's an article that outlines how to go online with the DS, and how damn simple it is

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3145484

De Seven Free

Post by De Seven Free »

Beek wrote:
Chale Holmes wrote:

FUCK!!!!!!!!!
And here.

So... that's a DS, a new router and a copy of MKDS I need.

I don't think the code thing's so bad. It's more fun playing people you 'know' (real life or innanet). Getting your ass kicked by an anonymous stranger is even less fun than playing against an ultra hard CPU.

Faceless

Post by Faceless »

De Seven Free wrote:
Beek wrote:
Chale Holmes wrote:

FUCK!!!!!!!!!
And here.

So... that's a DS, a new router and a copy of MKDS I need.

I don't think the code thing's so bad. It's more fun playing people you 'know' (real life or innanet). Getting your ass kicked by an anonymous stranger is even less fun than playing against an ultra hard CPU.
They're releasing a Red DS/MK bundle for 149.99. If you can wait, you'd save about $15.

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

This came out today. DO YOU HAVE IT YET?!?!?! I'm going to buy it after work...

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

Smooth Lou wrote:This came out today. DO YOU HAVE IT YET?!?!?! I'm going to buy it after work...
two choices: i could wait until the 25th, or import it. i'm importing it.

i'll be kicking your ass very soon, lou.

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

I'm probably gonna get it tommorow, I hope I don't need the dongle

DeffEnders

Post by DeffEnders »

Is this the place to put our mariokart ds friend codes??

If so here is mine:

Code: Select all

please be my friend... :sad:

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

DeffEnders wrote:Is this the place to put our mariokart ds friend codes??

If so here is mine:

Code: Select all

please be my friend... :sad:
Yeah, I might as well make this thread a sticky where people can post friend codes and holler when they're interested in playing a game

Chale Holmes

Post by Chale Holmes »

Will we be able to play anybody overseas?

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

Chale Holmes wrote:Will we be able to play anybody overseas?
yes, apparently

agent b

Post by agent b »

I'll be picking up my copy tonight but my router isn't listed on their site.

Faceless

Post by Faceless »

ChristPuncher wrote:
Chale Holmes wrote:Will we be able to play anybody overseas?
yes, apparently
But with much lag.