Nl5H

ds vs. psp

Post by Nl5H »

need to decide, please hekp,

Sigma

Re: ds vs. psp

Post by Sigma »

Nl5H wrote:need to decide, please hekp,
IMO, the DS has a wider variety of good games. There's a really well put together thread listing many of the top DS games in various genres here: -

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222049

I also like the dual screen clam shell design, and the touch screen with the stylus.

Both can be modified to play backups and homebrew. That's easier with the DS, but if running emulators and watching movies and stuff interests you, the PSP has the edge there. If you've got a PS3, the PSP is a good buy because it can be used to access media and games remotely over Wi-Fi.

It really comes down to which features you're looking for, and which games you want to play. I know that's no help, haha, but there are good reasons to buy both of them.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

DS, no fucking contest.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Def DS

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

I have both... They really can't be compared, PSP has the lock on sports, graphics, first person shooters, online play... DS has better games overall and of course nintendo has nintendo games..mario, zelda etc....

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

ds is dope, but the customizable firmware and hacking of the psp makes it awesome. I sold my psp, but I have been thinking about getting another one.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Random Sample wrote:ds is dope, but the customizable firmware and hacking of the psp makes it awesome. I sold my psp, but I have been thinking about getting another one.

how hard is it to customize? every tutorial I read seems like it is in a different language...could you school me?

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Trademark wrote:
Random Sample wrote:ds is dope, but the customizable firmware and hacking of the psp makes it awesome. I sold my psp, but I have been thinking about getting another one.

how hard is it to customize? every tutorial I read seems like it is in a different language...could you school me?
Well I have been out of it for a few years, but when my coworker gets back to our office I will post a link to the place that he gets everything from. It is a bit of a pain in the ass to read through all the jargon and what not, but it is worth it in the end.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Random Sample wrote:
Trademark wrote:

Well I have been out of it for a few years, but when my coworker gets back to our office I will post a link to the place that he gets everything from. It is a bit of a pain in the ass to read through all the jargon and what not, but it is worth it in the end.

THAT WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

you can get mostly everything at http://www.psp-hacks.com

that is a pretty good site and it can run you through getting everything on there. It takes a little time to set up and get used to it, but once you do it is awesome. plus with the new ps1 emulator you can play Metal Gear Solid on your psp.

A__TRAIN

Post by A__TRAIN »

The DS is alot cheaper.

the psp works as a mp3 player as well, which i liked because i didnt have an iPod.

I think the DS battery life is alot bigger than the PSP.

if you dont have a case for the psp, the screen will get scratched the fuck up.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

the psp works as a mp3 player as well
So does the DS. Check out the music players on this list of homebrew: -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ni ... S_Homebrew

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

I've got both. I keep the PSP around strictly for rainy day homebrew shit, but haven't used it in a while. Wish the battery life was better.

Still buy games for the DS because they still have games I want to buy. Homebrew options are decent but the PSP definitely has the edge in sheer possibilities there.

If I could only choose one it would be the DS, no question.

Chuck Earns Cheese

Post by Chuck Earns Cheese »

only edge psp has over the ds is it has a better screen. trying to watch a 2 hour movie on a ds is brutal, not like its that much better on a psp though.

A__TRAIN

Post by A__TRAIN »

Chuck Earns Cheese wrote:only edge psp has over the ds is it has a better screen. trying to watch a 2 hour movie on a ds is brutal, not like its that much better on a psp though.
i babyed my psp, and the screen still got really scratched up.

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus »

PSP has more features, hands down. There's much more you can do with a PSP than you can with a DS. Yeah, DS has games and everything but so does PSP. I like PSP over DS because the graphics are better, there are more features, and you dont get a library cluttered with bullshit games such as "Dinky Winky's Adventures" or "Ride a Karalisa's Pony 3" or any other bs like that.

And really? the touch screen? That shit isn't really as poppin' as I thoguht it'd be. Most of the games that are out for DS don't really use it to its full potential. It's a gimmick.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Hiphopapotamus wrote:PSP has more features, hands down. There's much more you can do with a PSP than you can with a DS. Yeah, DS has games and everything but so does PSP. I like PSP over DS because the graphics are better, there are more features, and you dont get a library cluttered with bullshit games such as "Dinky Winky's Adventures" or "Ride a Karalisa's Pony 3" or any other bs like that.

And really? the touch screen? That shit isn't really as poppin' as I thoguht it'd be. Most of the games that are out for DS don't really use it to its full potential. It's a gimmick.

completely disagree...ever played trauma center........

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus »

Trademark wrote:
Hiphopapotamus wrote:PSP has more features, hands down. There's much more you can do with a PSP than you can with a DS. Yeah, DS has games and everything but so does PSP. I like PSP over DS because the graphics are better, there are more features, and you dont get a library cluttered with bullshit games such as "Dinky Winky's Adventures" or "Ride a Karalisa's Pony 3" or any other bs like that.

And that's probably the only game to actually take advantage of the touch screen. Seriously. Nintendo limits themselves too much with their technology. I seriously can't think of buying another console by them unless they actually compete. It seems like the only route they're taking is to target broad ended, casual gamers who don't actually get into gaming all that much. While it's effective bussiness wise, it's not effective to the genuine gamer who looks for innovation and breaking ground with technology. Whats next for them? Gamecube 2.5 with motion sensing capabilities and maybe even smell-o-vision. C'mon.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

Hiphopapotamus wrote:
Trademark wrote:

And that's probably the only game to actually take advantage of the touch screen. Seriously.

......aaaaaand that's where I stopped reading, because it's obvious you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

It seems like the only route they're taking is to target broad ended, casual gamers who don't actually get into gaming all that much.
Which is everyone in this thread so far except you right?
While it's effective bussiness wise, it's not effective to the genuine gamer who looks for innovation and breaking ground with technology.
Nintendo are the only one of the three companies that make their money solely from gaming. MS are 7 billion in the hole with the two Xboxes. By releasing the PS3, Sony have eaten up all of the profits they ever made on the PS2. They can do that because they have other businesses that keep them going, and they're risking it by playing the long game. Nintendo can't do that.

The touch screen and microphone on the DS are innovative, as is the Wii Remote. Yes, those technologies existed before Nintendo used them, but it's the implementation of them that's innovative. There are hundreds of games available for the DS and just because the library has games aimed at kids, it doesn't mean that there aren't engrossing games for adults to play as well. Did you look at the games listed in that NeoGAF thread that I linked to in my first reply?

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus »

Well maybe I'm just trippin then. I really don't see much innovation in touch screen or motion sensing technology- UNLESS it's used in a way that would guarantee total change for the way we play games. I've played a good amount of Wii/DS games to know for myself that these innovations don't represent much impact for me when I play games. Wii/DS may have a few games that holds that promise but it's not enough for the competitors to change the way they do their thing. And of course you could look at Sony for biting Nintendo, but even then the technology is pretty senseless to me. So my point of it all is that sort of technology could make an impact, but I don't feel developers on that side of things, are using it to its full advantage. Plain and simple.

And if you don't agree, name some games where you feel that motion/touch sensing would make you not want to play any other games on other systems? If you can't name at least 10 (esp out of the hundreds of titles Nintendo holds) then you've changed my mind.

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus »

Andvil wrote:

......aaaaaand that's where I stopped reading, because it's obvious you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.
Really? Then tell me what's wrong with what I just said? It's pretty much my opinion and if you don't want to argue why I'm wrong, or even change my mind, then you can easily not even bother replying because what you said doesn't bring value to the discussion.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Wii/DS may have a few games that holds that promise but it's not enough for the competitors to change the way they do their thing.
A quote from Bill Gates last year: -
Imagine a game machine where you’re just going to pick up the bat and swing it or the tennis racket and swing it.
He's talking about swinging a real tennis racket, but is it really that different? Sony's Sixaxis controllers have motion sensors in them too.
So my point of it all is that sort of technology could make an impact, but I don't feel developers on that side of things, are using it to its full advantage.
That's because you're right and they're not - not all of them, but a lot of them. Personally, I would take the Wii Remote over a regular joypad for any FPS game, even over a keyboard and mouse, but there are lots of games where motion controls seem tacked on and/or poorly thought out. What do you expect though? Not many people predicted that the Wii would sell like hot cakes, and that the PS3 would get off to such a shitty start. Also, it takes time to figure out how to best make use of the tech.
And if you don't agree, name some games where you feel that motion/touch sensing would make you not want to play any other games on other systems? If you can't name at least 10 (esp out of the hundreds of titles Nintendo holds) then you've changed my mind.
As I said, for me any FPS would be better with the Wii Remote, so that's more than 10 games already. That's not necessarily going to change your mind though, cos you might prefer to use a regular joypad. If you've never played DS games that makes good use of the touch screen (WarioWare, Elektroplankton, Elite Beat Agents, many puzzle games, Metroid Prime Hunters, Star Fox Command, Kirby, Zelda, to name a few), then I'm skeptical as to whether you've ever held one in your hands. The DS has the exact same button layout as the PSP, minus the analogue stick (which isn't very good), so not every game has to rely on the touch screen anyway and many don't.

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus »

He's talking about swinging a real tennis racket, but is it really that different? Sony's Sixaxis controllers have motion sensors in them too.
Meh. Well I don't think motion sensing is doing anything special for videogames. Even on Sony's part- it just does not cut it for me. I mean yeah, its being used but it's not being utilized in any revolutionized way.
Personally, I would take the Wii Remote over a regular joypad for any FPS game, even over a keyboard and mouse,
Pah, I don't know using a Wiimote over a K/M. I think you have more precision with a mouse let alone more configurations. And maybe I haven't played enough FPS on the Wii to make a good judgement call but Red Steel was horrible in terms of using the Wiimote to point around. I hear Metroid is supposed to utilize it better but from the videos I've seen it still looks lackluster in that department. But maybe I'll have to try it for myself.

f you've never played DS games that makes good use of the touch screen (WarioWare, Elektroplankton, Elite Beat Agents, many puzzle games, Metroid Prime Hunters, Star Fox Command, Kirby, Zelda, to name a few), then I'm skeptical as to whether you've ever held one in your hands
Those games are fun but they still dont convince me into thinknig that touch sensing is what is needed for console gaming. It pretty much comes down to simple gestures that could inevitably be done with an analog/dpad. I mean look at the new Zelda for instance, all you pretty much do is touch an area you want Link to go and that's it. To me it all boils down to just tapping, swiping, zig zagging; that's not innovative at all. I used to own a DS. I sold that a year after the fact of not playing it all that much. But to each his own I guess. I just think Nintendo has made good bussiness decisions with old technology. To me technology is supposed to advance, but it doesn't seem to be the case this time around.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Pah, I don't know using a Wiimote over a K/M. I think you have more precision with a mouse let alone more configurations.
But what about the Wii Remote over using analogue sticks to aim, which is a more realistic comparison when talking about console gaming. It's very precise, but people seem to confuse it with a light gun sometimes. When you're using it to play FPS games it only works in 2 dimensions, so it's not really much different to a mouse in that respect.

I'm not trying to convince you to like the DS. I don't care if you think it's shit, but the thing I don't like is the implication that "the PSP is for the elite hardcore true gamers and the DS is only for kids or people with the attention span of a goldfish".

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus »

Sigma wrote:
Pah, I don't know using a Wiimote over a K/M. I think you have more precision with a mouse let alone more configurations.
But what about the Wii Remote over using analogue sticks to aim, which is a more realistic comparison when talking about console gaming. It's very precise, but people seem to confuse it with a light gun sometimes. When you're using it to play FPS games it only works in 2 dimensions, so it's not really much different to a mouse in that respect.

I'm not trying to convince you to like the DS. I don't care if you think it's shit, but the thing I don't like is the implication that "the PSP is for the elite hardcore true gamers and the DS is only for kids or people with the attention span of a goldfish".
Well, I wasn't trying to point out whether the PSP was better, I was only listing reasons to why I don't support Nintendo's portable as much as I do the PSP. PSP has flaws as well, don't get me wrong. I just think these innovations are not as innovative as most people think. It's base is simple, and not original when it comes to using that type of technology with any device.

NovaLux

Post by NovaLux »

Sticking to the PSP vs. DS discussion, I also choose DS, but I'm a different type of player than most in this thread. I think that in the beginning the touch screen wasn't well-utilized, and often still isn't, but that it's starting to come around as I'd hoped it would. Playing a game like Zelda using solely the touch screen was a different enough experience for me to feel that it's kind of revolutionary. Given a little more time, I think the gameplay will be more intuitive than ever, and that that also happens to appeal to a broader audience. So maybe it's the mark of a true gamer that he/she can comfortably navigate non-intuitive symbolic systems, but I think that anything that removes one degree of separation between gamer and game is a good thing for everybody, and that goes for the Wii too.

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

wow, thanks for the help guys...i'll let you know when i decide to get something.

Thun

Post by Thun »

I'm hardly an expert on electronic gaming, but both of these machines are cool as fuck in my view - I remember when the origjnal gameboy was next level shit. The fact that these machines can utilize wifi, browse the web, play mp3s and videos, and be hacked to do all kinds of things is amazing, even if most of these features are done better by more dedicated devices. Just my two cents... get them both, I'm tempted my damned self...