organizing your music on CPU?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

darkwingduck

organizing your music on CPU?

Post by darkwingduck »

not sure if this is the right place to ask but here goes anyways...

how do you guys organize your music folders on your computer?
the mac users with iTUNES...do you just keep your music in itunes as well as a folder elsewhere...?

i just got a new computer and am trying to figure out whats the best way to keep everything organized...

The Drunken Poet

Post by The Drunken Poet »

I just keep all my shit in ITUNES, which keeps everything in the music file on the HD. And then I create files within the playlists for organization by album or artist. Most people I know do it this way. It's pretty straight forward, the computer should be setup for this already.
'Nuff said.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

am I doubling up on my HD space by having shit in iTunes and in a seperate folder on my desktop?

The Drunken Poet

Post by The Drunken Poet »

Um, not sure. But why you would want both a music file on your desktop and also in Itunes, when you can simply keep it all in Itunes, where you play them anyway. Plus its easy to organize your shit in Itunes with playlists and smartlists.
'Nuff said.

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

just keep them in itunes... if u have em in 2 places u are using twice the space

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

roger that!

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

I don't like using Itunes, I keep my folders organized by genre on 2 different hard drives.

Still gotta reorganize singles by year/decade instead of genre which is a pain in the ass. I'll get drunk one slow weekend and do it then.

theaggravatedjew

Post by theaggravatedjew »

Cryptic One wrote:just keep them in itunes... if u have em in 2 places u are using twice the space
IS this the case for both pc and mac?

TheEnglishProfessorGuy
Extortionist

Post by TheEnglishProfessorGuy »

yea...but if u wanna make a cd you cant do it with mp4s.

erksortega

Post by erksortega »

I don't like how itunes file heirarchy is set up. I have a folder that has all my mp3s. It goes genre ie Rap/R&b, Pop/Rock, Electronic etc etc. Then from there its artist with multiple folders under that for each album. Then drag those folders into itunes so it creates a playlist for each album. Its a tedious process but thats how I like it. I wish it could be done easier.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

erksortega wrote:I don't like how itunes file heirarchy is set up. I have a folder that has all my mp3s. It goes genre ie Rap/R&b, Pop/Rock, Electronic etc etc. Then from there its artist with multiple folders under that for each album. Then drag those folders into itunes so it creates a playlist for each album. Its a tedious process but thats how I like it. I wish it could be done easier.
thats pretty much how I am doing it. Only thing is, I dont wanna take up aditional space by having the same album in itunes and in some folder.

erksortega

Post by erksortega »

darkwingduck wrote:
erksortega wrote:I don't like how itunes file heirarchy is set up. I have a folder that has all my mp3s. It goes genre ie Rap/R&b, Pop/Rock, Electronic etc etc. Then from there its artist with multiple folders under that for each album. Then drag those folders into itunes so it creates a playlist for each album. Its a tedious process but thats how I like it. I wish it could be done easier.
thats pretty much how I am doing it. Only thing is, I dont wanna take up aditional space by having the same album in itunes and in some folder.
if you go into preferences and then advanced you should be able to make it so that itunes won't do that.