Best Neil Jordan Film

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Best Neil Jordan Film

The Company of Wolves
7%
Mona Lisa
27%
We're No Angels
No votes
The Crying Game
13%
Interview with a Vampire
33%
Michael Collins
No votes
The Butcher Boy
No votes
In Dreams
No votes
The End of An Affair
7%
The Good Thief
13%
Breakfast on Pluto
No votes

Total votes: 15

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Best Neil Jordan Film

Post by Icesickle »

Tremendously underrated director who I think is not only the best Irish director of my lifetime, but one of the best directors since the 1980s, period.

The Company of Wolves

Mona Lisa

We're No Angels

The Crying Game

Interview with a Vampire

Michael Collins

The Butcher Boy

In Dreams

The End of an Affair

The Good Thief

Breakfast on Pluto

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Terrible, terrible director. Poll should be Mona Lisa or The Crying Game.

The Butcher Boy, Breakfast On Pluto, The Good Thief, In Dreams were all so terrible. Not even worth a free rental from a library.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

cascarrabias wrote:Terrible, terrible director. Poll should be Mona Lisa or The Crying Game.

The Butcher Boy, Breakfast On Pluto, The Good Thief, In Dreams were all so terrible. Not even worth a free rental from a library.
I don't know about In Dreams or The Good Thief, but Breakfast on Pluto was interesting to say the least and The Butcher Boy is a great, great film. I don't know how you can say Pan's Labyrinth is a top 10 film and then Butcher Boy isn't worth a free rental; they're really similiar films, albeit about different political struggles and The Butcher Boy's from a young boy's POV.

Michael Collins and The End of an Affair were dope too. Ralph Fiennes and Julianne Moore put in some serious work in the latter, and Michael Collins is probably my favorite film about "The Troubles" ever.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

the combined dreaminess of cruise and pitt along with a pre-pubescent kirsten dunst (aka in her prime) makes Interview with a Vampire a force to be reckoned with.

The Drunken Poet

Post by The Drunken Poet »

Really not worth polling this... The Crying Game hands down... how can you even defend some of these? Mona Lisa is the only thing that comes even remotely close. Crying Game is a masterpiece.
'Nuff said.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

like Cas said, it's either Mona Lisa or THe Crying Game

going Mona Lisa cause Bob Hoskins is one of my all-time favs

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

cascarrabias wrote:Terrible, terrible director.
Incorrect. Bad directors can't make The Crying Game.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

The Drunken Poet wrote:Really not worth polling this... The Crying Game hands down... how can you even defend some of these? Mona Lisa is the only thing that comes even remotely close. Crying Game is a masterpiece.
Butcher Boy, Michael Collins, and The End of an Affair are all excellent films.

I can see why a bunch of 20 year old dudes wouldn't flock to The End of an Affair, but it's a pretty great adaptation of Greene's novel. It's not easy to adapt hi-brow literature to the big screen (see any F. Scott Fitzgerald adaptation, Lolita, etc.). There's no way, if you go into it having read the novel and not looking for a :rockout: film, that you can say it sucks.

Michael Collins is THE epic about the Irish struggle for independence. No film about the matter comes close in terms of historical scope.

...waiting for drizzle to come in here and style on fools about The Good Thief.
Last edited by Icesickle on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

I only saw a couple of these but I didn't like them

so michael collins is good though?
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Andvil wrote:it's either Mona Lisa or THe Crying Game

going Mona Lisa cause Bob Hoskins is one of my all-time favs

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:I only saw a couple of these but I didn't like them

so michael collins is good though?
Very good. My former Joycian professor, who speaks Gaelic and knows more than most people about the Irish rebellion, says it's extremely historically accurate as well.

Butcher Boy > Michael Collins > The Crying Game > End of an Affair > Interview with a Vampire > We're No Angels.

I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen Good Thief, Mona Lisa, or The Company of Wolves (which some critics sweat and compare to Pan's Labyrinth and Night of the Hunter).

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

cascarrabias wrote:Terrible, terrible director. Poll should be Mona Lisa or The Crying Game.

wildly disagree with you here dude. The good thief is worth it for Nolte alone, who actually does a much better job playing bob than Roger Duchesne (sp?). Also, credit is due for keeping the story fairly similar yet putting a whole 'dirty' new feel on it that is abscent from the too-slick original, and making a bigger emphasis on the triangle of the girl, bob and his apprentice. The whole thing is a nice mix of style and seediness, give it a chance. And yes, i realize some of the plot twists in the end are ludicrous.

In dreams is awesome if you turn off the sound and put some floyd or miles on or something. Breakfast on pluto was crap, no arguments there. Need to see butcher boy.

All that said, i'm going with Mona Lisa, which maybe the best british crime movie ever - definitely in top 3 with Get Carter and Long Good Friday.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

ha ok if a gaelic speaker reps michael collins im gonna check it out.

So mona lisa was the movie about the driver for the prostitutes right? That movie was totally boring.... id put lock stock way above that in british crime movies.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:ha ok if a gaelic speaker reps michael collins im gonna check it out.
LOL. Don't know if you were being sarcastic or not, but I was just saying that to emphasize that he knows a lot about Irish culture. I've talked to him about movies and he's seen countless Irish films...more than anyone here; I'm pretty sure. He was saying how Sunday Bloody Sunday and Michael Collins are two of the only films about the struggle for Irish independence he's seen that "get everything right."
Last edited by Icesickle on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

nah man i was serious.... im gonna check it out

gaelic is legit. haters can poge ma hone
1. Nas
2. Drake

mud

Post by mud »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:nah man i was serious.... im gonna check it out

gaelic is legit. haters can poge ma hone
maith an fear.
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

I've only seen Interview With A Vampire and We're No Angels, both of which were vaguelly passable, but seeing as this guy is a fuckin' mick i'd wager the rest of his movies suck.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:but seeing as this guy is a fuckin' mick i'd wager the rest of his movies suck.
Wow. You came out of left field with that one.

No bullshit: When I was making the thread I thought, "The odds of JBL coming in here and saying something about potatoes or calling Jordan a mick is 1/100."

admiral

Post by admiral »

mona lisa smile

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:poge ma hone
P
Last edited by Y@k Bollocks on Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Well, Ithithkle, he is a mick and i can't think of many movies about micks by micks that i like. Plus, it's always amusing to get a reaction out of you anytime i say anything about teh irish.

BUT, YO, DOOD I LOVE RESCUE ME AND BROTHERHOOD!!!!!!!!!

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

He's ok just nothing really incredible or great besides Interview and Crying Game to me.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:Well, Ithithkle, he is a mick and i can't think of many movies about micks by micks that i like. Plus, it's always amusing to get a reaction out of you anytime i say anything about teh irish.

The only reaction you're getting out of me recently is a :wtf: , "another played out, predictable, lame joke." If that's the reaction you're going for, then, uh, congratulations.

Blessing: Have you seen Butcher Boy, The End of an Affair, or Michael Collins? There's no way Interview With a Vampire's a better movie than both those films...unless you're just really drawn to Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt engaging in homoerotic S&M bloodplay.

..says the guy whose verbal techniquez consisted of "hehe i think u might be a wop from jersey lolz..ok here's the body waxin' quip comin' up...NOW!" for, like, 3 years. Yeah, sorry, Mr. myriad of Material.

Neil Jordan is the G.O.A.T after Mallick and My Left Foot is a top 3 movie of all time. Happy now?

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:..says the guy whose verbal techniquez consisted of "hehe i think u might be a wop from jersey lolz..ok here's the body waxin' quip comin' up...NOW!" for, like, 3 years. Yeah, sorry, Mr. myriad of Material.

Neil Jordan is the G.O.A.T after Mallick and My Left Foot is a top 3 movie of all time. Happy now?
Malick.

Never parlay without an L.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

i loooved the good thief but the only others i saw were crying game and interview and both of those were great as well.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:Well, Ithithkle, he is a mick and i can't think of many movies about micks by micks that i like. Plus, it's always amusing to get a reaction out of you anytime i say anything about teh irish.

Out of curiosity, what'd you think of The Departed?

Big Lurk

Post by Big Lurk »

Icesickle wrote: Michael Collins is THE epic about the Irish struggle for independence.
This is heaps better:

Voted end of the affair.
soon jesus will come and we will all clap
and to the devil we say brap brap brap

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

^^^

Haven't seen it yet, but I'm cysed for that film. I was gonna put a pic from that as my sig, but then I found the Cam'ron gif.

It's coming out in the U.S. in March I think.