i want to go to comic con next year

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

citizen

i want to go to comic con next year

Post by citizen »

anyone ever been to one of these?
i have been really into comics the last few years and these days theres a lot more than comic stuff there

for some reason intense nerdity really weirds me out, so that might be the only thing keeping me from going. think it would be a cool experience though and i do enjoy san diego

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

What's to lose ?
You could end up banging a chick dressed like Elektra.

Shup Diddy
Nigga, Shup

Post by Shup Diddy »

been to wondercon many times in the bay. went back in 05, was extremely surprised to meet and shake hands with aria giovanni. pictures don't do her justice

The Drunken Poet

Re: i want to go to comic con next year

Post by The Drunken Poet »

citizen wrote:anyone ever been to one of these?
i have been really into comics the last few years and these days theres a lot more than comic stuff there

for some reason intense nerdity really weirds me out, so that might be the only thing keeping me from going. think it would be a cool experience though and i do enjoy san diego
Yeah, I went to this year's New York Comicon, gooood times. (I got pics but I'd rather save myself the embarrassment than post them) I've been a couple times. It's fun as long as you like comics and shit, and you don't have to dress up as Thor or anything, I never do.

Meet artists/writers, take pictures, see panel discussions, ect. I recommend it, than again I'm a geek.

New York Anime Festival is coming in December, but that one may be too much for me, who knows maybe I'll get the courage.
'Nuff said.

None

Post by None »

I am probably going to go this year, I will report back with my findings if I do.

citizen

Post by citizen »

Shup Diddy wrote:been to wondercon many times in the bay. went back in 05, was extremely surprised to meet and shake hands with aria giovanni. pictures don't do her justice
what was she doing there?

citizen

Post by citizen »

None wrote:

I am probably going to go this year, I will report back with my findings if I do.
you live in the area?

None

Post by None »

citizen wrote:
None wrote:

you live in the area?
Close enough.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

I went to Comic-Con in 2000, 2002 and 2003. I've never been superdiehardomgwtfbbq into comics, but I'm allz about my independent and cult films. That being said, there's no better palce to meet directors, see worthwhile panels, and cop hard-to-find bootlegs on the cheap than Comic-Con.

You never get bored, there is always something going on. Video games debut here, trailers debut here, and there's plenty of beautiful women at every turn.

Fellow cinephiles espicially. You can cop high quality bootlegs of OOP and foreign-only-released films for ten bucks. Back in the days when "Eraserhead," "KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park" and the uncut version of Peter Jackson's "Dead Alive" titled "Braindead" (only released in China and New Zealand) were going for 80 bucks a piece on eBay, I copped them all for a total price of $25.

If you go, make your reservations by the end of April at the latest and get the four day pass. You'll have a great time.

battlecatmeowstab212

Oh, and be sure you stop by the Troma booth and meet Lloyd Kaufman.

Shup Diddy
Nigga, Shup

Post by Shup Diddy »

citizen wrote:
Shup Diddy wrote:been to wondercon many times in the bay. went back in 05, was extremely surprised to meet and shake hands with aria giovanni. pictures don't do her justice
to this day i still don't have the earthly idea why. all i know is that she was in foot's length away from adrianna sage as well, i looked at my boy like :ohsh: :ohsh: both of them?!

Radio Raheem

Post by Radio Raheem »

I used to go when I was pretty young because I grew up in San Diego and had a nerdy uncle who was into comics. Had a lot of fun stealing bags of schwag and everything else. I was probably too young to appreciate it, I wanted to meet Wolverine more than any indie/cult film directors.

None

Post by None »

Radio Raheem wrote:I used to go when I was pretty young because I grew up in San Diego and had a nerdy uncle who was into comics. Had a lot of fun stealing bags of schwag and everything else. I was probably too young to appreciate it, I wanted to meet Wolverine more than any indie/cult film directors.
Given his penchant for guest appearances I'd say you had a decent shot.

Choke

Post by Choke »

I used to go every year (live in Vegas). Last time I went was the year before Sin City and Fantastic Four came out.

The early years I pretty much spent standing in line to get comic books signed and of course spending all of my allowance that I happened to save up on said comic books, which I now have about 10,000 of that I'm dying to get rid of in any way possible that doesn't involve recycling or selling them all for $50 (about market value) One year though, I won through a Dark Horse Comics raffle the chance to meet all of the main Buffy cast minus Gellar which back then was the equivalent of having a three way with Rogue and Psylocke.

I stopped collecting comics, so I stopped going, but then that last one I went to (the Sin City one I mentioned above) was probably the best one I'd been to yet because I didn't spend the entire time standing in line to get Peter David to sign a copy of X-Factor. Again, through a raffle by Dark Horse (big ups) I won the opportunity to meet and get autographs from Frank Miller, Robert Rodriguez, Alba, Rosario Dawson and Jamie King as part of a Sin City signing which, again, was pretty cool. I spent that entire con walking around drunk and/or high and going to a lot of film/TV panel discussions (Freaks and Geeks had a panel with most of the cast and crew, Lost had the same, etc etc).

Great time.I miss it. I'm going next year for sure.
General Interests: Fine herbage! Keepin it real, Jui Ryi Ki Kung-Fu (Blue belt with shuriken certification). Banging the skins with my smokin band 'TwaughtHammer'. European motocross (plan to attend Wheelie School in Vegas this summer). MILF's, MILF's, MILF's, MILF's!

Education: J.P. Wynne High School, DeVRy University data systems management... The STREETS, YO!

citizen

Post by citizen »

Shup Diddy wrote:
citizen wrote:
to this day i still don't have the earthly idea why. all i know is that she was in foot's length away from adrianna sage as well, i looked at my boy like :ohsh: :ohsh: both of them?!
do they have "adult entertainment" or adult comics stuff there?

Choke

Post by Choke »

citizen wrote:
Shup Diddy wrote:
citizen wrote:
There are (well, were) a few companies that would make adult books when I was going, but with Aria Giovanni, she honestly goes to a shitload of conventions like this, just to market, well, herself. There are sometimes Playboy models, companies that specialize in horndog shit like Cheerleader trading cards, etc that will just set up a booth thinking that your average comic-book fan is bound to stop at any random hot chick standing at a booth and hopefully buying a poster or DVD. Have you seen how fucking LARGE the comic-con area is? It literally takes an hour or two to just walk through the entire thing even without stopping.
General Interests: Fine herbage! Keepin it real, Jui Ryi Ki Kung-Fu (Blue belt with shuriken certification). Banging the skins with my smokin band 'TwaughtHammer'. European motocross (plan to attend Wheelie School in Vegas this summer). MILF's, MILF's, MILF's, MILF's!

Education: J.P. Wynne High School, DeVRy University data systems management... The STREETS, YO!

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

CRASH DDZ wrote:What's to lose ?
You could end up banging a dude dressed like Elektra.

battlecatmeowstab212

citizen wrote:

They have it by the boatload. There's a grip of "curtained off" areas that are only for adult. This means both erotic comics and the straight bizarre R.Crumb-type work.

And there's plenty of sexy soulless 9/10 naked women walking around.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

i went to the comiccon in ny earlier this year. dopeness.

i plan on going to the anime jawn in december.

The Drunken Poet

Post by The Drunken Poet »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:i went to the comiccon in ny earlier this year. dopeness.

See ya there, Poppa... I'll be dressed as L from Death Note... Just kidding, or am I....
'Nuff said.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

The Drunken Poet wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:i went to the comiccon in ny earlier this year. dopeness.

See ya there, Poppa... I'll be dressed as L from Death Note... Just kidding, or am I....
saddingly i adopted holding my cell phone like him.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:Oh, and be sure you stop by the Troma booth and meet Lloyd Kaufman.
someone get me that fools #....

Years ago he was going to make a vampire film about a baseball team of vampires.. He asked me to be in it after we talked at a Toxic Avenger screening here in Louisville...

I was going to play a Monk in it who after being bitten would break his vow of silence with non stop freestyling...

:ohsh:

In retrospect I think he was actually just trying to get my girlfreind in the film..or in the buff one...

Panama

Post by Panama »

Citizen I was thinking the same thing

I'm mos def gonna go to the Mid-Ohio Con in November and I really thinking about making the trip out to San Diego next year