Attack the Gas Station.

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

MGP
The Slick Rick of PF

Attack the Gas Station.

Post by MGP »

It's stupid nice. A very fine export from South Korea.

Go rent it.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Nothing to do with the topic, but Rivi has an unbelievable likeable factor considering he was a cold-blooded killer. A soft spoken man who never harmed children or woman, you gotta respect that!

MGP
The Slick Rick of PF

Post by MGP »

Philaflava wrote:Nothing to do with the topic, but Rivi has an unbelievable likeable factor considering he was a cold-blooded killer. A soft spoken man who never harmed children or woman, you gotta respect that!
Well, he did murk that guy's young son by accident. Otherwise, you're right.

Anyway, Attack The Gas Station is a wonderful critique of South Korea's social heirarchy that plays on the arbitrary compulsions of the previous generation/establishment: customs which now resemble emotional torture to the "enlightened" Western mind. What might come off as abusurd to the untrained eye is actually a carefully crafted reversal of roles, as four renegade 20-somethings hold a microcosm of their unreasonable world at the power of their whims.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

MGP wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Nothing to do with the topic, but Rivi has an unbelievable likeable factor considering he was a cold-blooded killer. A soft spoken man who never harmed children or woman, you gotta respect that!
Sorry to derail, but yeah that accident changed his life if you recall in the doc. He's still fucked up over that shooting.

MGP
The Slick Rick of PF

Post by MGP »

Philaflava wrote:
MGP wrote:
Sorry to derail, but yeah that accident changed his life if you recall in the doc. He's still fucked up over that shooting.
Yeah, it's the only time he really shows remorse for anything. Every other violent acts he's responsible for he is clearly proud of.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

I enjoyed it

been a while since I've seen it though

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

who is this rivi guy, never heard of him?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

didn't like the movie too much when i saw it, it was a while ago though. maybe i should give it another try
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

aresem

Post by aresem »

it was alright, i guess... i havent watched it since a few years back. i can definitely think of better south korean movies tho.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Trademark wrote:who is this rivi guy, never heard of him?

:larry:

The Drunken Poet

Post by The Drunken Poet »

Some Korean broad showed me this film awhile back, I thought it was alright. I'm sure I missed some of the Korean humor. But this does remind me of Guns & Talks, anyone ever see that? Fun little Korean hitman comedy.
'Nuff said.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Guns and talks wasn't bad. I hate this newish asian trend of casting nsync looking dudes in the badass roles (you can thank the inexplicable success of the Young and Dangerous series for that shit), so I certainly appreciated the fact that this movie self-referentially poked fun at it.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

The Drunken Poet

Post by The Drunken Poet »

drizzle wrote:Guns and talks wasn't bad. I hate this newish asian trend of casting nsync looking dudes in the badass roles (you can thank the inexplicable success of the Young and Dangerous series for that shit), so I certainly appreciated the fact that this movie self-referentially poked fun at it.
That trend has been happening for awhile now. Especially in Korea. They like their lady-boy actors there. Annoying, I agree.
'Nuff said.

Seiko Flossberg

Post by Seiko Flossberg »

Trademark wrote:
Trademark wrote:who is this rivi guy, never heard of him?

:larry:
Go rent Cocaine Cowboys immediately.