Alaska and I think Ben Stiller sucks...

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

no.. i think i understood where you were going with your post drizzle

as soon as mcbride hits a certain level of popularity (which he is sure to hit) and gets comfortable within a certain niche.. a backlash is guaranteed to happen. as i said above.. i'm sure a new jody hill/danny mcbride movie with some real money behind it will happen sooner than later (and that's partially why i'm not as interested in them trying to milk eb&d).

but i also wouldn't be too surprised if mcbride ended up in another dramatic role in a depressing dgg indie drama. the north carolina school of arts alliance (david gordon green/danny mcbride/jody hill/ben best/tim orr) seems to be a strong one @ this point

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Icesickle wrote:it addresses topics that a lot of classic old school comedy tackles (class climbing and the social mores of gender roles)
:err:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

ackbar wrote:no.. i think i understood where you were going with your post drizzle

as soon as mcbride hits a certain level of popularity (which he is sure to hit) and gets comfortable within a certain niche.. a backlash is guaranteed to happen. as i said above.. i'm sure a new jody hill/danny mcbride movie with some real money behind it will happen sooner than later (and that's partially why i'm not as interested in them trying to milk eb&d).

but i also wouldn't be too surprised if mcbride ended up in another dramatic role in a depressing dgg indie drama. the north carolina school of arts alliance (david gordon green/danny mcbride/jody hill/ben best/tim orr) seems to be a strong one @ this point
yeah that's more or less what i had in mind, we're basically on the same page. just pointing out that it will happen inevitably. i misundestood where you were going with it

i had no idea all these people went to school together
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

drizzle wrote:
Icesickle wrote: it addresses topics that a lot of classic old school comedy tackles (class climbing and the social mores of gender roles),
examples pls

(note that i'm not actually disagreeing with you)
Some Like It Hot
Christmas in July

That's all I got right now. :lol:

A more modern example of what I'm talking about is Trading Places, although Meet the Parents isn't as obvious with its class critiques and does it through the filter a middle class mensch visiting the "foreign" upper class world, as opposed to filtering it through the eyes of a working class guy (ie Murphy).
Last edited by Icesickle on Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

:lol:

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Stiller is funny. Worn out his welcome, maybe, but still pretty funny.

And I agree with everything Ice has said about Meet the Parents.... :megaman:

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Icesickle wrote:A more modern example of what I'm talking about is Trading Places, although Meet the Parents isn't as obvious with its class critiques and does it through the filter a middle class mensch visiting the "foreign" upper class world, as opposed to filtering it through the eyes of a working class guy (ie Murphy).
:err: :err: :err:

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Brougham33 wrote:And I agree with everything Ice has said about Meet the Parents.... :megaman:
:cheers:

It's not as "edgy" for a lot of people on here to regard as "classic," imo, but its biggest selling points for me is that it doesn't try too hard for laughs (eg Something About Mary) and isn't obvious at all with its class critiques. Its funnier and more well made than people are giving it credit for.

I'm going to put it in my REVISIT series after I get to The Assassination of Jesse James...

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Moolah wrote:
Icesickle wrote:A more modern example of what I'm talking about is Trading Places, although Meet the Parents isn't as obvious with its class critiques and does it through the filter a middle class mensch visiting the "foreign" upper class world, as opposed to filtering it through the eyes of a working class guy (ie Murphy).
I don't get what all the :err: is about.

:SHOCKER: talking about social critique in comedies :SHOCKER:.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

oh man, great movie that i really don't want to watch again

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

drizzle wrote:oh man, great movie that i really don't want to watch again
Assassination or Meet the Parents?

Assassination is that crack son, especially on a big screen HDTV. I can't turn it off when it comes on cable.

I can't think of that many scenes this decade that are as well put together as that train robbery scene.

Get ready to get cysed son: Dominik's next movie is an adaptation of a Cormac McCarthy novel (Cities of the Plain).

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

assasination, i can and have watched 'parents' over and over. assasination is nearly perfect in all technical aspects, but it's too much

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

:lol: I think I'm the only person in the world who really liked the Starsky & Hutch remake, and especially Stiller (well aside from my ex who also dug it).

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

^^^I didn't it was that bad either

Lebong Jame$

Post by Lebong Jame$ »

Spartan wrote:Stiller actually produced The Ruins which I thought was one of the better US horror movies that I've seen in recent years.
that movie was a joke on every level

stiller used to be funny. so did ferrell. but its obviously a changing of guards with those dudes being the past, the rogen/rudd crew being the present, and that that kid (cant recall his name) from superbad and the other young dudes in that and knocked up being the future. micheal cera doesnt belong anywhere. he's a faggot

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Ice, I don't necessarily mean this in an offensive way, but you really type like a dickhead

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Ice, I don't necessarily mean this in an offensive way, but you really type like a dickhead
:lol:

:cheers:

Love love baby.

Lebong: The fat kid in Superbad is funny, but the future is Sasha Baron Cohen and Russell Brand. Rudd, Rogen, and the fat kid don't have near the acting chops and comedic talent that those two dudes have. Cohen needs to step his game up and release the Bruno movie with the quickness though because he's losing steam.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Fat kid peaked in 40 Year Old Virgin

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Icesickle wrote:
Moolah wrote:

I'm shocked that people actually think like you. Did you appreciate "The Hot Chick" for challenging gender norms in post 9/11 America?

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Moolah wrote:
Icesickle wrote:
Moolah wrote:

I'm shocked that people actually think like you. Did you appreciate "The Hot Chick" for challenging gender norms in post 9/11 America?
Yeah, and might I add "Meet the Spartans" did a great job deconstructing the hegemony of the feminine mystique through othering the masculine gaze of capitalism.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

I'm not a big fan of Ben Stiller.

but the movies he's written, i fucking love. Zoolander and Tropic Thunder. I love those movies. I will go as far as saying Zoolander is the best comedy of this decade imo. That shit is non stop tremendous. I question the sexuality of any man who cannot laugh at Zoolander.

I also liked Royal Tenenbaums, Dodgeball and Something about Mary a lot.

I thought Meet the Parents is cool but starting to get played to me.

However, i dislike the Meet the Parents sequel, Heartbreak kid, night at the museum, along came polly, Starsky and Hutch, Duplex, etc. like really dislike.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

assassination of jesse james is fucking great. i wouldn't mind watching that again.

Lebong Jame$

Post by Lebong Jame$ »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Fat kid peaked in 40 Year Old Virgin
:rofl: he was on screen for like 2 minutes?
didnt take brand or coen into consideration, but neither of those dudes seem to be the "face" of comedy as much as rogen etc seem to be right now

JustDuWitt

Post by JustDuWitt »

Agreed...i laugh more at him and his awkwardness than at his actual humor. Never seen him doin stand-up, couldnt imagine it even being worth seeing

None

Post by None »

drizzle wrote:heavyweights was the first movie appatow wrote i think. it does not suck
That shit had Goldburg and Kenan sans Kel, easily the holy grail of my adolescence.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:assassination of jesse james is fucking great. i wouldn't mind watching that again.
:naswtf: does that have to do with stiller?

Drastik

Post by Drastik »

rob schneider >>> ben stiller

schneider made me laugh more than sandler in zohan.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Drastik Da God wrote:rob schneider >>> ben stiller

schneider made me laugh more than sandler in zohan.

:larry:

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Philaflava wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:assassination of jesse james is fucking great. i wouldn't mind watching that again.
:naswtf: does that have to do with stiller?
nigga did you block icesickle and drizzle?

read the whole thread.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Zoolander sucks and Schneider easily >>>>> Stiller.