Oliver Stone in for Fox's 'Wall Street' follow-up

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/
hr/content_display/film/news/
e3i0dac803b1646d6af56ac6bb4d7de236c
Allan Loeb script pushes long-developing project forward

By Jay A. Fernandez and Borys Kit

April 28, 2009, 03:59 PM ET

Wall Street's all the rage again -- literally. And Oliver Stone has decided he has more to say about it.

Stone has just closed a deal with Fox to direct the follow-up to "Wall Street," now tentatively called "Wall Street 2." This would provide an unusual amount of continuity since Stone directed and co-wrote, with Stanley Weiser, the original 1987 exploration of the inner workings of the finance sector and its complicated relationship with greed.

Allan Loeb ("21," "The Baster") was hired to rewrite the long-developing project in the fall and has apparently turned in a script strong enough to corral Stone, who reportedly was very cool to the idea of a sequel. Ed Pressman, who produced the original film, is producing the follow-up, as well.

The CAA-repped Stone most recently directed the biopic "W.," and before that helmed the Sept. 11 disaster drama "World Trade Center," which itself was a kind of tragic bookend to "Wall Street's" greed-is-good mantra. The new "Wall Street" project, with its up-to-the-minute placement in the context of the current global financial mess, should provide Stone with an ample palette for his typically provocative cultural commentary.

The plot line for the new "Wall Street" iteration has not been divulged, but it will pick up with corporate raider Gordon Gekko, the character for which Michael Douglas won a best actor Oscar more than 20 years ago. Gekko's larger-than-life presence will once again loom over a younger upstart looking to navigate the shark-tank world of today's Wall Street.

Douglas has been interested for some time and has read the latest script. His involvement in the sequel is very likely, if not yet signed and sealed.

The Endeavor-repped actor last starred in the 2007 comedy, "King of California." Douglas co-stars in "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past," which opens Friday.
Allan Loeb script pushes long-developing project forward

By Jay A. Fernandez and Borys Kit

April 28, 2009, 03:59 PM ET
Wall Street's all the rage again -- literally. And Oliver Stone has decided he has more to say about it.

Stone has just closed a deal with Fox to direct the follow-up to "Wall Street," now tentatively called "Wall Street 2." This would provide an unusual amount of continuity since Stone directed and co-wrote, with Stanley Weiser, the original 1987 exploration of the inner workings of the finance sector and its complicated relationship with greed.

Allan Loeb ("21," "The Baster") was hired to rewrite the long-developing project in the fall and has apparently turned in a script strong enough to corral Stone, who reportedly was very cool to the idea of a sequel. Ed Pressman, who produced the original film, is producing the follow-up, as well.

The CAA-repped Stone most recently directed the biopic "W.," and before that helmed the Sept. 11 disaster drama "World Trade Center," which itself was a kind of tragic bookend to "Wall Street's" greed-is-good mantra. The new "Wall Street" project, with its up-to-the-minute placement in the context of the current global financial mess, should provide Stone with an ample palette for his typically provocative cultural commentary.

The plot line for the new "Wall Street" iteration has not been divulged, but it will pick up with corporate raider Gordon Gekko, the character for which Michael Douglas won a best actor Oscar more than 20 years ago. Gekko's larger-than-life presence will once again loom over a younger upstart looking to navigate the shark-tank world of today's Wall Street.

Douglas has been interested for some time and has read the latest script. His involvement in the sequel is very likely, if not yet signed and sealed.

The Endeavor-repped actor last starred in the 2007 comedy, "King of California." Douglas co-stars in "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past," which opens Friday.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

don't fuck with gordon gekko..

its too bad oliver seems like he's getting soft but i gotta keep faith in the guy..

jimmy78

Post by jimmy78 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8024187.stm

Looks like he's definately in. I'd normally be pouring scourn on this, but for some reason, I'm looking forward to it.

philbluntsmoker

Post by philbluntsmoker »

so excited about this; wall street is irrationally one of my favorite movies.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

ill be checkin for this

I dont hear wall streets name come up enough in classic movie discussions...shit gets better everytime I watch it

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

that's because from Douglas' performance it's far from a classic movie. Tremendously entertaining of course (I own it), but far too redicuous and overblown to be taken serious. When Sheen comes out on the balcony and does his constipated "WHO AM I" thing it might as well just turn into a cartoon.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

drizzle wrote:that's because from Douglas' performance it's far from a classic movie. Tremendously entertaining of course (I own it), but far too redicuous and overblown to be taken serious. When Sheen comes out on the balcony and does his constipated "WHO AM I" thing it might as well just turn into a cartoon.
ur describing wall street like its boiler room or some shit...come on now, give it a lil more credit

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

wall street is like scarface with stock options instead of coke. it's far more rediculous than boiler room could ever hope to be. that's pretty much what makes it so great
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo