Lost - Season 5

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

i'm having some serious doubts regarding the writers having a set plot in mind all along. I hope i'm proven wrong ultimately, but i'm not optimistic. maybe they have some kind of end point they're moving towards, but i'm fairly certain that a bunch of this has been made up as they went along.

that incidentally is why i'm hesitant to give the show credit for 'reinventing' itself as Buster Keaton posed above. I don't see reinvention, i see creators writing themselves into the corner a certain points and inventing even crazier shit to smooth things out and keep the story moving along.

I have a strong feeling that ultimately this will all come down to something that was seeded in season 1, something maybe to do with Walt and/or the numbers, and a whole lot of the time travel and dharma shit will ultimately prove to be have as inconsequential as Kate's back story.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

drizzle wrote:i'm having some serious doubts regarding the writers having a set plot in mind all along. I hope i'm proven wrong ultimately, but i'm not optimistic. maybe they have some kind of end point they're moving towards, but i'm fairly certain that a bunch of this has been made up as they went along.

that incidentally is why i'm hesitant to give the show credit for 'reinventing' itself as Buster Keaton posed above. I don't see reinvention, i see creators writing themselves into the corner a certain points and inventing even crazier shit to smooth things out and keep the story moving along.

I have a strong feeling that ultimately this will all come down to something that was seeded in season 1, something maybe to do with Walt and/or the numbers, and a whole lot of the time travel and dharma shit will ultimately prove to be have as inconsequential as Kate's back story.
i read or heard in an interview, a while back. maybe after season 2 or half way through season three, when they decided to only do six seasons they were able to lock in and figure out the whole run.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

well if that's really the case let's hope i'm wrong then, and there is some kind of continuous unified progression being build. honestly i'm skeptical. i think they're just gonna pile new twist on top of new twist, and in the end it's just gonna be: oh yeah IT WAS WALT AND JACK'S BEARD ALL ALONG.... LOST

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

drizzle wrote:oh yeah IT WAS WALT AND JACK'S BEARD ALL ALONG.... LOST
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

the whole island is actually located inside of Jack's beard. it rains a lot because Jack cries a lot. LOST

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

drizzle wrote:the whole island is actually located inside of Jack's beard. it rains a lot because Jack cries a lot. LOST
would the massive santa ana winds be explained by the fact that he is always out of breath and gasping for air?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

no it's the massive amount of bitching and moaning he does constantly. OH NO WE MUST LEAVE... I LOVE YOU KATE.. I MEAN JULIETE... I MEAN KATE....I MEAN WE MUST GO BACK... I MEAN SAWYER OOOPS FREUDIAN SLIP... I MEAN WALT (sir why don't you just have a seat over here in the shadow of the statue) ... LOST

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

drizzle wrote:the whole island is actually located inside of Jack's beard. it rains a lot because Jack cries a lot. LOST
POTY

None

Post by None »

drizzle wrote:no it's the massive amount of bitching and moaning he does constantly. OH NO WE MUST LEAVE... I LOVE YOU KATE.. I MEAN JULIETE... I MEAN KATE....I MEAN WE MUST GO BACK... I MEAN SAWYER OOOPS FREUDIAN SLIP... I MEAN WALT (sir why don't you just have a seat over here in the shadow of the statue) ... LOST
JACK'S BEARD MOLESTED WALT'S MESSIAH TESTICLES? LOST.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

the last episode is gonna be two hippies laying in the grass and one of them is gonna go DUDE PASS ME THE BONG and the other one will be like DUDE, WHICH ONE? and the first guy will say THE SMOKE MONSTER and it will zoom in on the bong and the island is in the bong, everyone on the show is weed, the plane was a joint and the sub is a phat blunt, all the numbers add up to 420 :ohsh:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Andvil wrote:the last episode is gonna be two hippies laying in the grass and one of them is gonna go DUDE PASS ME THE BONG and the other one will be like DUDE, WHICH ONE? and the first guy will say THE SMOKE MONSTER and it will zoom in on the bong and the island is in the bong, everyone on the show is weed, the plane was a joint and the sub is a phat blunt, all the numbers add up to 420 :ohsh:
:rockout:

do you know how badly i want to kill you?

umm... jacob's not here man

zygmontone

Post by zygmontone »

ALASKA wrote:
drizzle wrote:i'm having some serious doubts regarding the writers having a set plot in mind all along. I hope i'm proven wrong ultimately, but i'm not optimistic. maybe they have some kind of end point they're moving towards, but i'm fairly certain that a bunch of this has been made up as they went along.

i read or heard in an interview, a while back. maybe after season 2 or half way through season three, when they decided to only do six seasons they were able to lock in and figure out the whole run.
yeah when they gave the show an end date the creative people were able to formulate the trajectory for the remaining episodes of the show... since then the writers have known where it was going to end up. and :lol: at the last couple posts

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Andvil wrote:the last episode is gonna be two hippies laying in the grass and one of them is gonna go DUDE PASS ME THE BONG and the other one will be like DUDE, WHICH ONE? and the first guy will say THE SMOKE MONSTER and it will zoom in on the bong and the island is in the bong, everyone on the show is weed, the plane was a joint and the sub is a phat blunt, all the numbers add up to 420 :ohsh:

:ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh:

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

ya they have had these last couple seasons planned out for a while now

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

http://www.zshare.net/audio/60205611074c96c8/

Bill Simmons aka ESPN's Sports Guy discusses the season finale of Lost.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

I thought of a new possibility. Season six opens with an entirely new group of castaways on the island. They go through the same sort of shit only now jack sawyer and everyone else are others. The island/jacob btongs people to it and if you can't stop him from losing the argruement with the guy in black they end up forever trapped on the island like richard and the black rock people.

Shup Diddy
Nigga, Shup

Post by Shup Diddy »

nigga what the hell is a btongs ^

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

ALASKA wrote:http://www.zshare.net/audio/60205611074c96c8/

Bill Simmons aka ESPN's Sports Guy discusses the season finale of Lost.
good listen, really liked that chicks 'juliet was pregnant' theory and that she was initially wanting to leave on the sub to avoid dying during childbirth. much better than the episodes explanation of her seeing how sawyer looked at kate.

on non-lost notes,
:lol: :lol: @ at the driving school idea. "stash some weed in the glovebox, have them pulled over and see how some sixteen year old kid reacts to it"
:lol: @ discussing 'the duel 2'. i watch this shit every year for some reason, need to start listening to bill simmons show
moved by duck muscles

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

bill simmons has pretty good podcasts.

and the real world vs. road rules shows are bad ass. i love these and the vh1 love shows. they are all car wrecks with contests.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Simmons podcast is great. You can subscribe on itunes. He just had dave damashek on. They said they are gonna do a podcast that is commentary on the movie roadhouse. Which should be great

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Gregg Popabitch wrote: the vh1 love shows. they are all car wrecks with contests.
I'm with you. Its like they gathered the worst people on earth. Gave them booze. Shook it up and said let's see what happens. They are the best.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

ben looks really gay when he's stabbing jacob

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

ALASKA wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote: the vh1 love shows. they are all car wrecks with contests.
I'm with you. Its like they gathered the worst people on earth. Gave them booze. Shook it up and said let's see what happens. They are the best.
will take this moment to say the intro to 'the duel 2' is one of the most intriguing things in human history. all kinds of :naswtf: X :lol:
Truth. wrote:ben looks really gay when he's stabbing jacob
had to be a reason for that bitchish stab. Obvisouly Ben didn't know Locke wasn't Locke, but mayhap he was hesitant to sacrifice Jacob for some yet disclosed reason. Michael Emerson seems to be a pretty fucking calculated actor, so were that part of the scene to read 'ben stabs jacob', it wouldn't have went down the way it did.
moved by duck muscles

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Choke

Post by Choke »

Quick question about ben/fake locke killing jacob. Was Jacob officially dead when fake locke kicks him in the fire? I only watched it once and I've been spouting off to everyone I know about how that was smokey/esau as locke and how he had to get ben to do it because he couldnt physically kill jacob himself, but then I was thinking "wait, didnt he kick him into the fire as the final death strike? wouldnt that be against the rules?"

I assume he was "dead" before going into the fire?
General Interests: Fine herbage! Keepin it real, Jui Ryi Ki Kung-Fu (Blue belt with shuriken certification). Banging the skins with my smokin band 'TwaughtHammer'. European motocross (plan to attend Wheelie School in Vegas this summer). MILF's, MILF's, MILF's, MILF's!

Education: J.P. Wynne High School, DeVRy University data systems management... The STREETS, YO!

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

^^ seems like a good bet

the kicking into the fire looked largely ceremonial and celebratory. like doing a little end zone dance or slapping a chick in the face wiht the cock after you already came in her eye.

Choke

Post by Choke »

drizzle wrote:^^ seems like a good bet

the kicking into the fire looked largely ceremonial and celebratory. like doing a little end zone dance or slapping a chick in the face wiht the cock after you already came in her eye.
Yeah in the replays of it in my head I just picture it happening right after jacob says "they're coming" which made me question whether he was dead or not at the point of the kick.
General Interests: Fine herbage! Keepin it real, Jui Ryi Ki Kung-Fu (Blue belt with shuriken certification). Banging the skins with my smokin band 'TwaughtHammer'. European motocross (plan to attend Wheelie School in Vegas this summer). MILF's, MILF's, MILF's, MILF's!

Education: J.P. Wynne High School, DeVRy University data systems management... The STREETS, YO!

Buster Keaton

Post by Buster Keaton »

Now, I'm confused...

Do you take issue with the product? Or the process?

I don't think for a moment the writers had an entire plot line mapped out from Season 1 (or even Season 2 or 3 for that matter.) I have no doubt Lindelhoff and Co. write themselves into corners all the time and have to "invent crazy shit" to continue moving forward. But that's a very common method of creation, especially in television, and especially for a serial like Lost.

Now, how successful they are at maintaining the continuity of the world they've created over the years is a debateable subject: I think its successful, others may not. However, claiming the finished product is somehow diminished only by the method of its creation is pretty unfair. There are plenty of writers that plot out every beat of every story they set out to tell, but there are plenty of others who simply start at the beginning and see where they end up. Both categories produce their share of amazing and shitty work.

Also, why blast a show because you have a feeling it won't add up in the end? The last season will either impress or it won't, we'll know this time next year; but viewing current seasons through the pre-concieved filter that it won't doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Reality continues to destroy my life.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

The statue has been revealed. It is the Egyptian goddess Taweret as described in this lost recap on abc.com:

http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/index? ... 2&d=201648

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawaret

In Egyptian mythology, Taweret (also spelled Taurt, Tuat, Taueret, Tuart, Ta-weret, Tawaret, and Taueret, and in Greek, Θουέρις "Thoeris" and Toeris). Her name means (one) who is great. When paired with another deity, she became the demon-wife of Apep, the original god of evil. Since Apep was viewed as residing below the horizon, and only present at night, evil during the day then was envisaged as being a result of Taweret's malfeasance.

As the counterpart of Apep, who was always below the horizon, Taweret was seen as being the northern sky, the constellation roughly covering the area of present-day Draco, which always lies above the horizon. Thus Taweret was known as mistress of the horizon, and was depicted as such on the ceiling of the tomb of Seti I in the Valley of the Kings.

In their art, Taweret was depicted as a composite of all the things the Egyptians feared, the major part of her being hippopotamus, since this is what the constellation most resembled, with the arms and legs of a lioness, and with the back of a crocodile. On occasion, later, rather than having a crocodile back, she was seen as having a separate, small crocodile resting on her back, which was thus interpreted as Sobek, the crocodile-god, and said to be her consort.

Early during the Old Kingdom, the Egyptians came to see female hippopotami as less aggressive than the males, and began to view their aggression only as one of protecting their young and being good mothers, particularly since it is the males that are territorially aggressive. Consequently, Taweret became seen, very early in Egyptian history, as a deity of protection in pregnancy and childbirth. Pregnant women wore amulets with her name or likeness to protect their pregnancies. Her image could also be found on knives made from hippopotamus ivory, which would be used as wands in rituals to drive evil spirits away from mothers and children.

In most subsequent depictions, Taweret was depicted with features of a pregnant woman. In a composite addition to the animal-compound she was also seen with pendulous breasts, a full pregnant abdomen, and long, straight human hair on her head.

As a protector, she often was shown with one arm resting on the sa symbol, which symbolized protection, and on occasion she carried an ankh, the symbol of life, or a knife, which would be used to threaten evil spirits.

As such a protector, Taweret also was given titles reflecting a more positive nature, including Opet (also spelt Ipet, Apet, and Ipy), meaning harem, and Reret (also spelt Rert, Reret, seen as the offspring of Nut)

As the hippopotamus was associated with the Nile, these more positive ideas of Taweret allowed her to be seen as a goddess of the annual flooding of the Nile and the bountiful harvest that it brought. Ultimately, although only a household deity, since she was still considered the consort of Apep, Taweret was seen as one who protected against evil by restraining it.

When Set fell from grace in the Egyptian pantheon, as a result of being favoured by the unpopular Hyksos rulers, he gradually took over the position of Apep, as the god of evil. With this change away from Apep, Taweret became seen only as the concubine of Set. She was seen as concubine rather than wife, as Set already was married to the extremely different goddess, Nephthys, to whom no parallels could be drawn. It then was said that Taweret had been an evil goddess, but changed her ways and held Set back on a chain.

As the goddess of motherhood, Taweret was eventually assimilated into the identity of Mut, the great-mother goddess.

Chuck Earns Cheese

Post by Chuck Earns Cheese »

yeah, someone figured that out the first time they showed the statue...it's in this thread