G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

this shit looks pretty fucking ill, actually.

and considering the comatizing brainfuck that was Transformers 2, if G.I. Joe has a half-decent plot for an action movie, and enough childhood satisfying moments, I'm hoping we get a franchise outta this badboy.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xKVqPzm134U&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xKVqPzm134U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

website is pretty sick: http://www.gijoemovie.com/

the trailer there is type fucking :ohsh:

visually, this thing looks WOW.

please, don't shit on my brain with the plot, Steven Sommers.

a grade above the Mummy story would be acceptable, I guess. It ain't Michael Bay retardation. :nut:

nobody really looks much like their character except Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes. but at least they look :rockout:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

i think it looks good too. lots of shit talk on this movie has already been aired and it hasnt even come out yet. not sure i understand that. i grew up with gi joe, and as much of a fan of the franchise that i am, im not so jaded that id dimiss this shit heap of a movie before i actually saw it.

ThaMexakin

Post by ThaMexakin »

fan of the cartoon but this looks gay though, actuallyI have no idea how anyone can actually think this looks good.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

I think it looks awful too.

Cobra Commander looks like shit, and what is the deal with these retarded ass special suits they're wearing?

I think it's going to be shitty, and the rumors of problems with the first cut they screened aren't making me feel any better.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

i posted a link in an earlier thread about tis movie about how it was the worst screened movie IN THE HISTORY of the studio.
that means even the retarded test screening audiences hated it. it was worse then movies that will never come out cause they were so bad.
i'm not one to really give a shit about reviews in general but that speaks volumes about how truly awful this movie is probably gonna be.

starks

Post by starks »

it looks street fighter bad/awesome

i'll admit though i was high in the theatre when this trailer came out and shit my pants when they're like

"Accelerator Suits"
"What do they accelerate?"
"You"

:rockout:

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

Blockhead wrote:i posted a link in an earlier thread about tis movie about how it was the worst screened movie IN THE HISTORY
ouch

hey, im a sucker for big budget shit movies. this actually has got me wanting to see it even more.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BncO-JoZNnM&co ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BncO-JoZNnM&co ... edded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

the shit looks more like a halo movie with those suits than a gi joe movie. the shit looks awful.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

i read that's the only scene with those suits

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

the only redeeming quality will be snake eyes and storm shadow
UBM CD COMING SOON

MD

Post by MD »

I plan to yell "CobraLALALALALALALALALALALALAAAAAA!" every time I see Cobra Commander on screen.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

^^^^^ :rofl:
Blockhead wrote:i posted a link in an earlier thread about tis movie about how it was the worst screened movie IN THE HISTORY of the studio.
that means even the retarded test screening audiences hated it. it was worse then movies that will never come out cause they were so bad.
i'm not one to really give a shit about reviews in general but that speaks volumes about how truly awful this movie is probably gonna be.
yeah i remember that.

but seriously, there's been a LOT of SHITTTTTTY movies that made money.

this would have to be ATROCIOUSLY BRAIN-KILLING to top some of the other ones.

this looks kinda cool to me. and if the effects are dope enough to forget the lack of storyline, then I'm happy.

seriously, it CAN'T be worse than Transformers 2, can it? I had a headache when I walked out of there. The symbols in Sam Witwicky's head didn't even make sense, and by the end of the movie, they STILL had no relevance, really.

but yeah, I wish more people looked even kinda close to the action figures.

i'm still gonna see this. probably on mushrooms :rockout:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
Blockhead wrote:i posted a link in an earlier thread about tis movie about how it was the worst screened movie IN THE HISTORY of the studio.
yeah i remember that.

but seriously, there's been a LOT of SHITTTTTTY movies that made money.

this would have to be ATROCIOUSLY BRAIN-KILLING to top some of the other ones.
that's what i'm saying. for it to be received THAT badly, it's got to be some next level terrible. think of every completely shitty movie you've ever seen and realize it was most likely enjoyed more by test screeners then GI JOE. it's kinda hard to fathom.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Truth. wrote:object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BncO-JoZNnM&co ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BncO-JoZNnM&co ... edded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
i fucking love itttt

hype action.

AND ADIBISI FROM OZ IS IN THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!! :rockout:

shit's gonna be great, even if its horrible.

it's still G.I. Joe in movie form. I hope Cobra and Destro are at least semi-decent.

thanks for the clip! :cheers:

hustler

Post by hustler »

i think this will be great.
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

the wolverine movie had a pretty kick ass trailer too

:(

citizen

Post by citizen »

i cant believe mr ecko left lost for this

reevolution

Post by reevolution »

MD wrote:I plan to yell "CobraLALALALALALALALALALALALAAAAAA!" every time I see Cobra Commander on screen.
:lol:

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Based on the trailer I thought it looked kinda terrible, but 7 out of the 8 early reviews so far have been positive, surprisingly: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gi_joe/

Still way too early though.

Edit: On the other hand: http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0912274/
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

this shit is gonna be AWESOME, face it.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

i just read they're not doing a screening for critics prior to it's release. :fail: is imminent.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

^they did a limited screening for hand-selected critics
http://chud.com/articles/articles/20306 ... Page1.html

Stephen Sommers' GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra manages to almost perfectly replicate the experience you had as a pre-teen playing with your action figures in the back yard. Like a kid banging his toys together and blowing them up with firecrackers, Sommers has made a movie that's just a series of action set pieces strung together with a minimal amount of exposition, stopping only to catch his breath and to move the story along far enough to get to the next action set piece. And damn if it doesn't work.

Watching GI Joe it's impossible not to think 'This should not work,' but somehow it all does. Sommers really nails the tone perfectly - he's created a kind of pop art madhouse, a movie whose lineage includes Danger: Diabolik (it's important to note I'm not comparing quality here), Flash Gordon and maybe a visit from the straight faced aspects of the Roger Moore James Bond. The silliness inherent in the concept is embraced - GI Joe is a multinational team with a miles deep secret base in the desert, a resident ninja, a fleet of subs and planes and helicopters and suits of power armor that they only bother to use once. Sommers thankfully resists the urge to grit the film up, but he also usually resists the urge to wink too broadly at the audience; more than once GI Joe plays like a parody of itself but mostly the film understands that we're all in on it and just proceeds from there.

There are a couple of things that Sommers gets very right, and a few that he gets very wrong. Perhaps his smartest move was hiring fairly good actors for roles that don't really require so much acting. Channing Tatum, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Christopher Eccleston, Jonathan Pryce, Dennis Quaid, Sienna Miller - these are actors who bring a certain amount of class and reality even to characters based on a toy line, and while none of them are in danger of being accused of serious thespianism in this film, they're all having fun while keeping the film grounded in enjoyable characters.

Sommers next best move was knowing how to shoot action scenes (especially since they make up 70% of the film's running time). Unlike this summer's travesty Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, GI Joe clues the viewer in on the geography of action scenes, it allows us to follow the choreography and it generally lets us know what the fuck is going on. It's a sad statement on action movies today when I get excited that a movie allows me to see who is hitting who. The action scenes in GI Joe are almost uniformly excellent, starting with the first - a real-world special ops team futilely battles against the science-fantasy forces of Cobra - and going throughout. The standout is the car chase through the streets of Paris; the amount of damage and death in this sequence is stunning; GI Joe shows a casual disregard for human life that would make Bad Boys II upset. Sommers makes the scenes distinct, and the film takes us from aerial battles to undersea battles (with the physics of space battles, and with shots and action stolen from sources like Battlestar Galactica and Star Wars) to all kinds of one on one fighting. The movie even features flashbacks to the youth of Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes, and has little kids beating the shit out of each other with nunchucks! That alone makes the film worth seeing, in my opinion. Perhaps the most amazing thing about the action is that Sommers keeps it up throughout; only in the film's final minutes do you start to feel action fatigue, and that's because you've spent fifteen minutes in a multi-front major battle that would wear anyone out.

I really appreciated the fact that each action scene has moments for each of the main Joes; too often in a team movie like this the hero steps up front while everybody else seemingly watches him, but Sommers and screenwriters Stuart Beattie, David Elliot and Paul Lovett make sure that each of the Joes has something to do in any given action scene, even if it's just Breaker shouting into a headset. This really crystallizes in the final battle, which keeps everybody busy in believable, exciting ways.

The plot, such as it is, resembles that of the original cartoon. Motivations seem to boil down to being good or being bad, and I don't fully get the roundabout aspects of what arms dealing, super weapon creating baddie Destro is trying to accomplish. Then again, he's essentially a Bond villain on steroids, and over-elaborate plans with multiple opportunities to be defeated are a hallmark of his ilk. The film has a number of reveals, each more obvious than the last, but eventually that becomes part of the fun. GI Joe is riddled with employees who have tight, personal bonds with the enemy, and nobody seems to mind.

But those tight, personal bonds never overwhelm the film's resounding desire to keep shooting guns and blowing things up. Watching the Comic Con trailer for Sony's 2012 I lamented that while a film as filled with money shots as that trailer would be amazing, the real movie will be filled with mind-numbing domestic drama. GI Joe has no patience for that sort of shit, and is content to be constantly ramping up to or quickly cooling down from money shots. And many of the money shots are really violent - heads are pierced, exploded, and chopped off. Hundreds, if not thousands, die (just barely) off screen, while dozens upon dozens of Cobra guys (or I guess proto-Cobra guys, as the terrorist group only becomes Cobra at the end) meet their maker at the hands, bullets, shuriken, blades and other explosives of our heroes. There's not much by way of blood, but Sommers has taken the gloves off and delivered the kind of serious ass-kicking PG-13 movie we haven't seen in a while.

Sadly he also delivers the cartoony CGI we have come to expect from him. Some shots in the print I saw tonight looked frankly unfinished, and I hope for his sake that's the case. But even many obviously finished shots looked pretty terrible. Contextually the unreality of some of the FX shots worked for me - Sommers has made a big cartoon, and looking cartoony isn't that big of a sin - but too many scenes were muted due to overly obvious, cheap CG effects.

And while Sommers has done some excellent casting (double props for hiring the stunningly hot Rachel Nichols to play Scarlett, by the way), he also partially dropped the ball. Marlon Wayans isn't just irritating as comic relief Ripcord, he's downright unbelievable in the role. Every time Wayans opened his mouth I cringed; thankfully the movie rarely spends too much time on his unfunny bon mots and just keeps pumping along to the next explosion or crash.

Is GI Joe: Rise of Cobra the kind of silly fun you'll like? The litmus test, I think, comes when Duke and Ripcord, two new GI Joe recruits, are introduced to the team's secret underground lair, The Pit. As they take an elevator down through the many, many levels of the facility, all sorts of 'daily life for GI Joe' scenes take place, ranging from guys rappelling randomly into the shot, explosions going off to a giant firing range lake (and the glass encased sub facility beneath it). This scene feels like panels from the Larry Hama GI Joe comic come to life (very literally, as this sequence also appeared in the comic), but it's so silly and so over the top and so much about what a 9 year old might think would be in the cool underground base of a group like GI Joe that it sums up the entire movie.

If I was 10 years old, GI Joe would be one of the best movies I had ever seen. As a grown up it's one of the better summer movies; a delightfully light, fun and action-packed kick in the ass.

8.5 out of 10

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

i'm seriously doing chocolate mushrooms before i go to this movie

Cobra LALALALALALAALLALALALALALAAAA

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

It's been getting surprisingly good reviews actually which is good news.

Pretty good popcorn flick from what I'm hearing.

Apparently those rumors about it being the worst test screened movie ever were just that.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

jamrage wrote:
Apparently those rumors about it being the worst test screened movie ever were just that.
the internet lied to me?!?!?!?!?!

fuckers.

i still bet this will be completely terrible. (except for people who love corny cgi masturbation fests).

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Blockhead wrote:
jamrage wrote:
the internet lied to me?!?!?!?!?!

fuckers.

i still bet this will be completely terrible. (except for people who love corny cgi masturbation fests).
I'm still skeptical as well, but I like a good summer movie too which is what this obviously is. CGI for days.

If this actually turns out to be good they need to shitcan whoever it was that cut the trailers.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Blockhead wrote: i still bet this will be completely terrible. (except for people who love corny cgi masturbation fests).
that would be I

movies are meant to be spectacle, as big and loud as possible. if you're gonna blindly reject that, might as well give it all up and go see minimalist interpretations of Death Of A Salesman performed Off Broadway with casts of mimes and midgets
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Blockhead wrote:for people who love corny cgi masturbation fests
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAwm-dRRv6M

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

GOOOOOOOOOOOO JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEE HYPE IS BACK!