Inglorious Basterds (TRAILERS/Posters) updatd 06/22

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Kalistoga

Post by Kalistoga »

Balzac wrote: i think he ordered her milk on purpose. didn't he know her name from the beginning list he was making with farmer bob?
but at that time, she was using a fake name. not Sharshonna or whatever her name was...

frank b

Post by frank b »

Great fucking movie.
"My girl does shit like compare and contrast Kant, Foucault, Marx, Darwin and Socrates to Asian philosophers and Middle Eastern writers and poets I have never fucking heard of" - Mindbender Futurama

btown

Post by btown »

I didn't read the thread, but much like Death Proof much of the dialogue here was boring as shit. Some parts like the King Kong bit was quality but, although I ultimately enjoyed it, I was very underwhelmed by the movie.

I'm sorry but I can buy QT's continuous homages. That entire opening scene the suspense was killed for me because I knew what was going to happen just because it instantly reminded me of Once Opon a Time In The West.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Really really enjoyed this. I have renewed faith in Tarantino's ability to make a quality film, probably his best since Jackie Brown. Might even be his 3rd best movie in the long run. Definitely one of his better looking films and very refreshing to see him direct a cast of relative unknowns (other than Pitt) as opposed to his usual starfuckfests. Pitt was great and his over the top schtick fit the movie well. Cristoph Waltz killed it and the two female leads were both pretty excellent. I think Tarantino did a great job keeping his quirkiness in check but still maintaining his trademark style, especially when it came to the violence, choosing only to show it when it would leave the biggest impression. The old Tarantino would probably show the ambush in the woods, the bodies being shot up under the house, etc.

Overall a very pleasant surprise and probably my second favorite movie so far this year.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Tommy Bunz wrote:The old Tarantino would probably show the ambush in the woods, the bodies being shot up under the house, etc.
it's not that the old QT would, it's that a lot of the directors he emulates def would for a cheap thrill. like you said though, the fact that he didn't maybe a sign of him maturing in a way
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

drizzle wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:The old Tarantino would probably show the ambush in the woods, the bodies being shot up under the house, etc.
it's not that the old QT would, it's that a lot of the directors he emulates def would for a cheap thrill. like you said though, the fact that he didn't maybe a sign of him maturing in a way
Yeah, I wonder how much of that was him showing some restraint/discipline and how much was the because the studio made him cut down the length of the film. Its going to be really interesting to see all the deleted scenes when this gets a home video release. Either way I thought he did an extraordinary job balancing the multiple story arcs and pacing in the final cut.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

actually i've been reading up, and the dvd will not have hours of deleted scenes as of right now. apparently he wrote 100s of pages of backstory for all the characters and a lot of what was cut goes along with it, so they maybe saving all this for a prequel

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

From what I have read, QT did have a scene featuring Maggie Cheung as the cinema's previous owner that was deleted but might appear on the DVD.

So I watched this movie again and I still had issues with the film as I already addressed before. They didn't bother me as much this time, probably because I knew what to expect and it didn't feel so disjointed.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

I have mixed feelings about this movie.

On the one hand Christopher Waltz puts in the best performance of the year and the best turn as a Nazi since Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List; the extended scene in the basement and the opening scene were far and away the best pieces of filmmaking I've seen all year; the opening shot of the final chapter (of Shoshanna resting against the portal) was the most beautiful shot I've seen all year; the acting (with a few glaring exceptions) was awesome.

On the other hand it didn't have that much narrative momentum and seems a little too much like a collection of scenes; I didn't really care what happened to any of the characters; Eli Roth and some of the other Basterds' performances were so amateurish that it seemed like they were dropped out of a spoof movie into this one; and it seems like Tarantino's further regressed since the promise he showed in Jackie Brown. Whereas Jackie Brown felt like a movie of a man who was growing comfortable with age and wasn't trying too hard to impress his audience, Kill Bill and especially this feel like movies made by a preternaturally gifted 15 year old.

Thun

Post by Thun »

ithe wrote:Whereas Jackie Brown felt like a movie of a man who was growing comfortable with age and wasn't trying too hard to impress his audience, Kill Bill and especially this feel like movies made by a preternaturally gifted 15 year old.
Dun, what the fuck are you ever fucking talking about?

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Takin' sides :

Christoph Waltz in Inglorious Basterds VS. Jackie Earle Haley in Watchmen?

So, anyway, this was great but, christ, Tarantino should just make a Django movie to get it out of his system already.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

^^^ Icesickle must psychoanalyze the director of every film to determine whether or not he would be down to catch McCabe and Mrs. Miller and then listen to Pavement while they discuss the future of the Democratic Party in "post-racial" America.

According to Ice's analysis, Quentin Tarantino's answer would be "Hell muthafuckin' no!!!"

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Wasn't QT going about doing a sort of western type movie set in the south? "A southern" or some shit like that.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Thun wrote:
ithe wrote:Whereas Jackie Brown felt like a movie of a man who was growing comfortable with age and wasn't trying too hard to impress his audience, Kill Bill and especially this feel like movies made by a preternaturally gifted 15 year old.
Dun, what the fuck are you ever fucking talking about?
It's pretty self explanatory:

Jackie Brown is a more mature film than Kill Bill and Inglorious Basterds. Usually people, and their art, mature with age. Tarantino hasn't.

ICE EDIT: It is what it is. The dude's a great filmmaker, but I wish he would rein in some of his over-the-top impulses. After Jackie Brown he's dropped off. Not Francis Ford Coppola dropped off, but he hasn't regained the momentum he had with Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown.
Last edited by Icesickle on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:Tarantino should just make a Django movie to get it out of his system already.
he will never make a typical by the numbers genre movie. Kill Bill 1 was probably his best attempt at this so far. there's too much different shit going on in his pool of influences for it to happen. This movie and/or kill bill 2 will likely be as close as he will ever get to a 'real' western.

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

loved this movie.

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

Any chance somebody could pm me a link for this?

hustler

Post by hustler »

way to fucking spoil the whole thing, thanks guys.
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

drizzle wrote:
Spartan wrote: That whole chit-chat was a verbal battle with Landa getting more chilling by the second.
a. that's a pretty one-sided battle, considering the farmer doesn't do anything but mumble. and the chilling aspect, to me at least, was in Waltz's manner, not what he was saying. Nothing that he actually says is heavy enough to make a grown man cry (except after teh actual confession), in fact the conversation is pretty non-chalant and at one point drifts off to near rambling. It's how he says it that puts weight in it. QT deserves credit for making a scene that works despite the almost foregone conclusion, but Landa's monologue is all about Waltz.
The opening scene, besides the tension, really sucked me into the movie because, going in I heard there was a lot of subtitles. When Landa suggests they switch to english, I thought it was an absurd thing, like the movie was dumbing itself down for American viewers. Then, when you find out that the Jews under the floor do not understand English, it comes together in this insanely fucked up way.

Whether this was intended or not, it got me.

Also the subtitles, masterfully done. They managed to engage in QT dialogue that was very readable. That's was probably a fucking chore of a job, but I'm glad they put the effort there. I honestly never felt like I was just glued to the bottom of the screen reading.

The basement Tavern scene was fantastic. In fact, several of the scenes I was thoroughly amused with their progression. The tavern scene was tense and escalated into a great stand off, complete with a badass acceptance speech of the slaughter at hand.

The strudel scene was great. I actually loved that she had to sit there, clueless to the Germans bickering about the venue. She's basically sitting in the lions den, waiting to be eaten alive. Yet, they are uninterested in her presence and you start to believe her concern is an overreaction. Then in comes the true predator.

Also I was on the edge of my seat waiting for the climax to unfold. It was just such a loaded situation that I knew it was going to blow the film open.

This movie saved my summer viewings.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

hustler wrote:way to fucking spoil the whole thing, thanks guys.
shouldn't have read this thread before you've seen the movie dummy

so i was totally expecting dirty dozen tarantino style. despite that i loved how the main story was about the french chick, loved the subplot with the german actress. the european actors were real good in this movie.

i wasn't feeling how comic brad pitt's character, hitler & goebbels were. why does every movie make goebbels a weird lookin dude? that's just straight propaganda. yeah basically i couldn't get used to how goofy some characters were compared to others acting real seriously. i felt that it would have made the ultimate jew revenge even sweeter if it was a realistic hitler she was burning.

LOL at eli roth's eyes as he's shooting hitler in the face repeatedly. man they shoulda given him acting lessons though he was too goofy.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Just finally saw this, wow. I don't know where exactly to put this film in Tarantino's filmography but it's somewhere near the top 3 easily. With all the hype and reviews out I thought I had spoiled this film for myself. There were a lot of surprises, one being the amount of tension/suspense masterfully held and executed by Tarantino. The amount of of dialogue in this film is fucking staggering yet it seems like his least talky film because the dialogue is rarely self serving but rather plays deeply into the suspense. I won't deny that because of the suspense maybe the dialgoue plays better but I actually felt (unlike deathproof) that it was his most naturally organic writing letting the story and characters dictate the dialogue. For instance the british soldier's origin as a German. I had no idea how he would come up with where he was from and then as he starts you realize he's a professional film critic. In fact the British scene was one of my absolute favorites, Churchill sitting there listening at the piano in a giant war room as Meyers and the film critic shoot the shit.

I think some are overplaying the goofiness of some of the characters, there is a ton of fucking comedy in this film and the actors play the part. Eli Roth's eyes were overly weepy most of the time though. Brad Pitt was fucking great, great, great. "it's the shoe is on the other foot, and that's funny I was just thinking that." Slayed me... In fact most of Pitt's dialogue killed the audience, " probably won't get shot, chewed out, but that's ok I've been chewed out before." A lot of great stuff here.

Like someone said, visually this might be Tarantino's best film, the opening especially, regardless of homage, is masterful. The genius of switching the conversation to English so the Jews wouldn't understand is fantastic. I disagree with Drizzle, I think that the rat scene was a great way to break down the farmer slowly so that when the mood finally shifted he turned to absolute putty.

The tavern scene is spectacular and I thought the build up was great and so was the execution. In fact I think that is why many of us are saying not only did the talking not bother us but neither did the subtitles because each long conversation payed off so freaking well...The shootout, while brief, was a great piece of action.

I agree also with whoever said that Tarantino seemed very mature in the way he restrained the violence to only the most important shocking moments. When the violence was there, it was terrible but called for.

My favorite film of the year and I'll be hard pressed to see it change. Did the major in the strudel and the tavern scene remind anyone of the nazi dude in Raiders of the Lost Ark with the thick glasses? For some reason I just felt a strong comparison. Shoshanna had me all in love and her story arc had me :owens: .....

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I only just discovered that the actor who played Churchill in the movie was this dude from HG Welles' The Time Machine.

Also, The Jew Hunter's entrance music in the restaurant was the rape theme from The Entity.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

i loved this movie

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

saw this for the second time tonight. liked it even more this time. definitely my favorite movie of the year so far, but i still don't know where it ranks among tarantino's canon. undoubtedly better than death proof but i'm not sure where it falls among the rest.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Just saw this too and fucking YES!

Really, really, liked it. In fact, I think it might be the best work Tarantino's ever done.

Alot of what I'm going to say has already been said, but I have to drop a quick few sentences. He really stayed out of his own way here, but still managed to include the staples of a Tarantino film. The dialogue really helped propel the movie along which is rare for a Tarantino film. None of those "Death Proof" bar conversations. Gotta disagree with those of you that said that the dialogue wasn't solid. The colors and shots that Tarantino used were really amazing. Also the fact that 75% of the film was shot in another language also gets major kudos.

Some fantastic subtlety from Tarantino as well which is really fucking rare. As everyone said, Waltz was amazing, but everyone was good. Not enough material about the Basterds especially when the movie is named after them. The basement scene and ending were top fucking notch. Some of the best filmmaking of this year easily. I can't remember Hitler ever being killed in a WWII movie before. I kept expecting shit to go wrong and Hitler would escape but it never happened. Definitely a welcome surprise. Fuck yeah.

I'm finding that people who like "Reservoir Dogs" more than "Pulp Fiction" are liking this movie a lot more than those who prefer Pulp.

I think this is going to be my favorite Tarantino movie after I see it a couple more times, it's really that good.

9 outta 10
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

jamrage wrote:Just saw this too and fucking YES!

Really, really, liked it. In fact, I think it might be the best work Tarantino's ever done.

Alot of what I'm going to say has already been said, but I have to drop a quick few sentences. He really stayed out of his own way here, but still managed to include the staples of a Tarantino film. The dialogue really helped propel the movie along which is rare for a Tarantino film. None of those "Death Proof" bar conversations. Gotta disagree with those of you that said that the dialogue wasn't solid. The colors and shots that Tarantino used were really amazing. Also the fact that 75% of the film was shot in another language also gets major kudos.

Some fantastic subtlety from Tarantino as well which is really fucking rare. As everyone said, Waltz was amazing, but everyone was good. Not enough material about the Basterds especially when the movie is named after them. The basement scene and ending were top fucking notch. Some of the best filmmaking of this year easily. I can't remember Hitler ever being killed in a WWII movie before. I kept expecting shit to go wrong and Hitler would escape but it never happened. Definitely a welcome surprise. Fuck yeah.

I'm finding that people who like "Reservoir Dogs" more than "Pulp Fiction" are liking this movie a lot more than those who prefer Pulp.

I think this is going to be my favorite Tarantino movie after I see it a couple more times, it's really that good.

9 outta 10

word such a great flick..

bent

Post by bent »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
hustler wrote:way to fucking spoil the whole thing, thanks guys.
shouldn't have read this thread before you've seen the movie dummy

so i was totally expecting dirty dozen tarantino style. despite that i loved how the main story was about the french chick, loved the subplot with the german actress. the european actors were real good in this movie.

i wasn't feeling how comic brad pitt's character, hitler & goebbels were. why does every movie make goebbels a weird lookin dude? that's just straight propaganda. yeah basically i couldn't get used to how goofy some characters were compared to others acting real seriously. i felt that it would have made the ultimate jew revenge even sweeter if it was a realistic hitler she was burning.

LOL at eli roth's eyes as he's shooting hitler in the face repeatedly. man they shoulda given him acting lessons though he was too goofy.
co-sign.

I don't like it when actors choose a specific facial expression and tone of voice for a character and stick to it the whole movie. Makes the characters too one-dimensional and cartoony.

Brad Pitt looked like he was trying a Godfather impression the whole time.

Overall I liked the movie (proabably would have enjoyed it more in a movie theatre) but would have like it a bit more serious. It might even had worked better without the basterds, focusing more on Shoshanna, Fredrick Zoller and Landa.

But why didn't the two jews in the movie theatre take off the dynamite and bail once the place was on fire and they had already killed Hitler?

Texas Raised Mikey

Post by Texas Raised Mikey »

I think the fact that a lot of the characters were foreign, or playing foreign parts helped tone down the kitschy typical QT dialogue that makes a lot of his movies not so good to me.

Best QT flick so far in my opinion.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Icesickle wrote:It's pretty self explanatory:

Jackie Brown is a more mature film than Kill Bill and Inglorious Basterds. Usually people, and their art, mature with age. Tarantino hasn't.

ICE EDIT: It is what it is. The dude's a great filmmaker, but I wish he would rein in some of his over-the-top impulses. After Jackie Brown he's dropped off. Not Francis Ford Coppola dropped off, but he hasn't regained the momentum he had with Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown.
:arrow: