What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

hell0maryjane

Post by hell0maryjane »

Spartan wrote:The Exorcist
"Know what she did, your cunting daughter?" One of my all time fave movies. 9/10
this and rosemary's baby :)

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

Paranormal Activity - Scared the SHIT outta me. Watched it in the dark by myself after about 3 volcano bags to the face :pause:. The copy I watched had the original ending; which after reading about the other 2 seemed like a good one. You have to be in the right mindset for this to be scary. Worth watching once. 8/10

Bad Lieutenant - I loved the original and didn't think this would be good at all. I was quite impressed. The main character in this one is almost at the same level of dirtbag as the OG. The ending seemed a little bit "focus group" but all in all very entertaining. Nick Cage is awesome in this. 9/10

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Nothing But The Truth (Beckinsale, Dillion) - 7.5
Winter Passing (Ferrell, Deschanel, Harris) - 6
Couples Retreat (Vaughn, Favereau) - 7.5
Urban Justice (Seagal, Griffin) - 10

ChewbaccaUncircumcised

Post by ChewbaccaUncircumcised »

sherlock holmes - 8/10

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Zombieland - My friends hated it but I think it's a cute lil movie. I would have prefered a protagonist who wasn't a nerd but it's essential to the story and keeps it going. I got kinda sick of it all towards the end but the start was great fun.

The Big Heat - Glenn Ford owns here. His rage is almost tumbling through the screen. A more simple and racy noir than others I've seen. Coffe-scalding scene must have been quite violent for it's time. Will watch again.

Halloween (2007) - I like the build-up of Mikes character, makes him very menacing. When he escapes I kinda think it goes off the boil a bit. A good redux that adds to the story.

Devils Rejects - More Rob Z. I like this better. The humor is phenomenal and these rednecks are terrifying and hilarious. Cool ending IMO although others don't like it. I like the reversal of roles and the villain-relief.

Paranormal Activity - Didn't make it the whole way through actually. Everything about this movie kinda sucks, especially the acting. I have no idea how anyone could find this dumb movie scary. Perhaps I needed to watch it under different circumstances but it's just so dull and unengaging.

Gun Crazy / Deadly is the Female - Good off-canon noir. A gun-obsessed guy meets a guncrazy woman. They form a partnership but he doesn't find out shes a complete psycho before it's too late. Watch it if you stumble upon it.

Le Doulos - Great work by Belmondo especially. This movie reeks of cool, but its too slow-paced for modern viewers. Some of the scenes are admittedly a bit long. I think the plot and acting is excellent and the action scenes are tense. Not a Melville favorite so far though.

36 Quai Des Oeuvres (2004) - Cool remake with Depardieu and Arteuil. Great procedural cop-flick about two les flics competing to be the new head of police. It reminds me of Heat in a lot of ways, but it's much better because it doesn't try as hard. Some of the action also makes me think of Narc. Really really good movie.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Harco

Post by Harco »

I enjoy reading your posts in this thread. Going to check out a couple, especially some French ones you mentioned over the last couple of days.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Nine-sucked. One of the drawbacks of marrying a theater major is when her friends come back for Christmas break and want to watch musicals. Fergie's hair was messy enough to distract from her horseface. Opening scene felt like a Victoria's Secret commercial. Most notable scene (beyond Cruz sticking her business right in the camera's lens) was when Penelope's character had just tried killing herself and looked a whole lot like Brittany Murphy.

Up in the Air-probably about an 8/8.5-good flick done with enough confidence to not betray the characters, supporting actress playing Clooney's protege seals the deal. A mellowed out McBride doing character work was a refreshing change from his over the top stuff, dude's more than just a quip manufacturer. Interesting to see Vera cast as the older woman. Clooney did his thing, made me keeping thinking of a cross between Bogart and Rahm Emmanuel. A lot more substance than Reitman's enjoyable but hollow Thank You For Smoking. Don't be mad if you pay matinee bucks to see this.

Black Dynamite-when I wasn't laughing, I was wanting to rap over the score. SEE THIS MOVIE.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S_MRbERF4v8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S_MRbERF4v8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

None

Post by None »

ChewbaccaUncircumcised wrote:sherlock holmes - 8/10
I can go along with this. My only problem with the movie, and it was something I think Drizzle pointed out with RocknRolla, was the re-use of the indestructible giant of disparate nationality/ethnicity. However, that problem is probably half the screen writer(s) fault as Ritchie's.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote: Gun Crazy / Deadly is the Female - Good off-canon noir.
good movie but not really off-canon at all. shows up on top 10 lists all teh time.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

mad dog morgan - this was a pretty big disappointment. way to episodic to engage as a drama, nowhere near violent or grimy enough to work as exploitation. hopper is surprisingly subdued, especially considering he is supposed to be playing a crazed outlaw. then again the script doesn't really give him dick to work with, so you can't really blame the fail all on him. the character is not really well flashed out and neither is the historical setting. overall the viewer gets very little sense of what to be excited about here. maybe it needs a certain familiarity with the subject or to be put in some kind of context to be fully appreciated. there were a few redeeming moments, but mostly i was just bored.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

drizzle wrote:mad dog morgan - this was a pretty big disappointment. way to episodic to engage as a drama, nowhere near violent or grimy enough to work as exploitation. hopper is surprisingly subdued, especially considering he is supposed to be playing a crazed outlaw. then again the script doesn't really give him dick to work with, so you can't really blame the fail all on him. the character is not really well flashed out and neither is the historical setting. overall the viewer gets very little sense of what to be excited about here. maybe it needs a certain familiarity with the subject or to be put in some kind of context to be fully appreciated. there were a few redeeming moments, but mostly i was just bored.
Boooooooo. Not what I wanted to hear at all. Is the transfer of the new release good at least?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Is the transfer of the new release good at least?
actually, not that great. correct oar and def watchable, but for a 'special edition' it's pretty meh. possibly sourced from a very good vhs

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Battle Royale - 5/10

I guess I didn't get this movie. It wasn't particularly bad or good, it just kinda happened. Very little in the way of plot turns or anything.

wat

Comedy Quaddafi

Funny Games (1997) - A moral high-ground 4th-wall-breaking horror by a guy who obviously hates horror. Haneke is a pompous prick, he said "if this movie becomes a succes it's because people don't understand it." I'm usually good at feeling empathy for victims, but this one didn't move me much emotionally. Perhaps because the violence is off-screen, although it serves a point. Perhaps because I started immersing myself in the discourse this movie initiates. The strip-scene is extremely clever in particular. Some of the shots are far too long, eventhough I'm usually a patient guy. I mean, a 10 minute scene where a woman attempts to dry a wet cellphone with a haridrier?? I'm not sure if this movie wanted me to feel disgusted by myself? Either he 'doesn't get it' [horror] or perhaps I don't fully understand what hes trying to say? The lead-killer was very charming and funny, or wait, did I just fall into his gay little trap? Fun movie.

Lady Snowblood - Kill Bill source material like a muthafucka. The violence theme is tackled in a very poetic and depressing way. The soundtrack is amazing and most of the scenes are too. Blood-red rivers and red snow? Fantastic. A few of the fighting scenes were let-downs but most of them blew me away. I am far more pleased with the meditations on revenge, to be honest. Gorgeous stuff.

Deadringers - Not quite what I expected but really good. I think it lost pace towards the ending. Irons is literally two different people in this movie, I can't imagine how he prepared himself for this. Lots of interesting things to discuss about this one. The dance-scene was very disturbing to me. "Mutant women" lol.

Ils (Them) - Survival horror in its purest form. The ending really messed with my head and I applaud Moreau for that. The first 30 mins didn't scare me but there's a turning-point were everything starts to get more serious, from there on I was on the edge of my seat. Football-rattle was a cool prop, gypsy bastards!! Excellent use of the house as location.

Maniac - This has got to stop. It's silly, and it's not getting us anywhere. You think they don't know. They do. I heard it and I know. They all know, and I don't like it anymore. But you don't listen do you. It's got to stop. Oh, you're right about them, all of them. They're all the same. I know what they're like. Just because I can't do the things you do doesn't mean I don't see it all the same. "Fancy shmansy," and what are we supposed to do? Sit and smile and say "yes Miss, no miss, not now miss, whatever you say miss?" I know how it is with their hairs and their looks and they... they drive a man crazy! I didn't mean that. I didn't mean it that way. It's just that, they don't know when to stop. They never know when to stop. That's why they have to be stopped. It is you're right. You're right. But not like that, not that way. Please, they'll take you away from me. You have to be careful, not to listen to me. But I can't live like this. I have to go out and each time it's like this. I get so scared that they'll take you away. But they won't if you do what I say. They won't take you away, not ever I say. Not ever.

drizzle wrote:
Comedy Quaddafi wrote: Gun Crazy / Deadly is the Female - Good off-canon noir.
good movie but not really off-canon at all. shows up on top 10 lists all teh time.
top 10 even? Never heard of this one before I saw it. I trust you are right though.
Harco wrote:I enjoy reading your posts in this thread. Going to check out a couple, especially some French ones you mentioned over the last couple of days.
Cheers, dude. Martyrs, Marienbad and 13 Tzameti are my favorites that I've watched recently.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Harco

Post by Harco »

Yeah, I've been meaning to check out Martyrs, but Marienbad especially. I had heard about 13 Tzameti but somehow I always thought it sucked. Don't ask any further, haha. I probably confused it with another movie.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I've had the Last Year in Marienbad criterion bluray sitting on my shelf for like 5 months now but never watched it. Guess I should get around to that soon

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

vengeance (johnie to) - man i was looking forward to it for ages, rooting for it despite mixed reviews, but in the end it was very underwhelming. some fantastic moments fo sho, but also a good amount of ludicrous shit bordering on self-parody. beyond the excesses, terrible casting of the lead and a really pointless memory-loss subplot kinda ruin it. if To just kept it as an exercise in style where a french dude in a fedora and trench walks around HK looking cool and the occasional gunfight breaks out, it would've been grand. unfortunately he tries to do a meditation on memory and revenge, and that just falls flat as shit (aside from the fact that ultimately memento pretty much nailed this already). and to make things that much worse, even the action wasn't that great. i suppose that after a run of 6 fantastic movies To was bound to stumble a bit, hopefully he'll come back strong.

Comedy Quaddafi

Tommy Bunz wrote:I've had the Last Year in Marienbad criterion bluray sitting on my shelf for like 5 months now but never watched it. Guess I should get around to that soon
It's not as hard to watch as some people say. It's a lot of fun, atleast to me.

I know what you mean though. My DVD of Fitzcarraldo is still shrink-wrapped. I really have to mentally prepare myself to watch long movies. Some ADD shit. I even fell asleep during the epic climax of Avatar, in the theaters, 3D and all...
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Jimmy been killin' it here lately.

Swipe

Post by Swipe »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI
I just watched this 70(!) minute review of The Phantom Menace which was infinitely more entertaining than the movie itself. This has been doing the blog shit all over the net thing maybe you've seen it but shit makes me laugh like I'm dosing and listening to Tom Jones.

And I saw Sherlock Holmes and it made me fall asleep. But it had two dog reaction shots, which is my favorite Kurosawa homage.
Ya'll be easy, I'ma do me.

Comedy Quaddafi

Spartan wrote:Jimmy been killin' it here lately.
I'm not sure if you remember, but I'm basically watching everything you recommended. And I'm running on empty soon :lol:
- MB

hell0maryjane

Post by hell0maryjane »

punch drunk love - 4/5

Comedy Quaddafi

Snuff 102 - A mean-spirited rollercoaster of depravity. Argentinian horror isn't something I'm familiar with, but this one borrows heavily from sadistic j-horror. I don't get the point of this torturewank usually, but this one elevates the genre a notch with some clever meta-analysis from a psychologist woven into the plot. A journalist starts to investigate snuff (on a pretty thin premise) and gets to know more than she wanted. This movie has all sorts of internet-clips in it to further cement it's ponts. There's a tortured rhesus-monkey, a slaughtered pig, an Islamic beheading, nails driven through boobs and more real gore. Apparently the director was attacked by an audience member during the premiere, after a scene where a pregnant woman gets a knife rammed up her cunt. I wouldn't recommend it unless that sounds... "good" (?)

Fritt Vilt - I'm jealous that our Scandinavian arch-rivals are much better at horror, atleast we have action-comedies on lock. The way it's filmed reminds me of Aja in The Hills Have Eyes and Haute Tension. I remember hearing about it but I had no idea it delivered like this. It's very marketable, it follows pretty much every clich
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote: Outpost - Cool genre mix-up up with interdimensional nazi zombieghosts. This movie is so technically on point, an emphasis of grey and green colors really sets the mood. An Eastern European forest appears very manacing, as it would in real life. Clever explanations elevates the fear a bit for me, knowing loosely that the nazis did experiment with stuff like this. Ray Stevenson is cool but the rest of the cast is a bit flat.
this one is dope, vastly underrated. seems destined to be lost in time and then pop up as a lost gem on whatever cult movie revivalist company that's around 15 years from now.

i think they're making a sequel too

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Paranormal Activity-had me scared, figures the new ending would feature some supernatural powerthrowing of MEE-KAH instead of the three day bender. Only other part that felt out of place was the burning ouija board.

Got the bonus feature-laden Galaxy Quest DVD, watched 2/3 of the features earlier. Great flick and I could care less for Star Trek.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

Anvil: The Story of Anvil - 10/10 - Such an endearing film. Love Lips. Love Rob-O.
:bow: on every level
I can answer that in one word. two words. three words.
We haven't got good management.
Favorite rock doc since Dig! and I'll prolly watch this one just as much
_________

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Yeah Anvil was awesome.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

drizzle wrote:
Comedy Quaddafi wrote: Outpost - Cool genre mix-up up with interdimensional nazi zombieghosts. This movie is so technically on point, an emphasis of grey and green colors really sets the mood. An Eastern European forest appears very manacing, as it would in real life. Clever explanations elevates the fear a bit for me, knowing loosely that the nazis did experiment with stuff like this. Ray Stevenson is cool but the rest of the cast is a bit flat.
this one is dope, vastly underrated. seems destined to be lost in time and then pop up as a lost gem on whatever cult movie revivalist company that's around 15 years from now.

i think they're making a sequel too
Yep, there's a sequel in the works.

The first was very John Carpenter in style, reminiscent of The Fog. Looking forward to the follow-up.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

[quote="Comedy Quaddafi"]Snuff 102 - A mean-spirited rollercoaster of depravity. Argentinian horror isn't something I'm familiar with, but this one borrows heavily from sadistic j-horror. I don't get the point of this torturewank usually, but this one elevates the genre a notch with some clever meta-analysis from a psychologist woven into the plot. A journalist starts to investigate snuff (on a pretty thin premise) and gets to know more than she wanted. This movie has all sorts of internet-clips in it to further cement it's ponts. There's a tortured rhesus-monkey, a slaughtered pig, an Islamic beheading, nails driven through boobs and more real gore. Apparently the director was attacked by an audience member during the premiere, after a scene where a pregnant woman gets a knife rammed up her cunt. I wouldn't recommend it unless that sounds... "good" (?)

Fritt Vilt - I'm jealous that our Scandinavian arch-rivals are much better at horror, atleast we have action-comedies on lock. The way it's filmed reminds me of Aja in The Hills Have Eyes and Haute Tension. I remember hearing about it but I had no idea it delivered like this. It's very marketable, it follows pretty much every clich

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Funny People: 7/10. I actually lol'd about 20 times.